I bought my first bass a few days ago...never even touched one before. I didn't want to just jump right in playing so I did some research and looked for videos and what not on YouTube and stuff so I could teach myself proper right hand technique because I've never finger picked in my life either.

Well today I started playing for the first time and I seriously played for over 8 hours (might actually be closer to 10). I started playing the guitar last month and the most I ever played in a day was about 4 hours and it felt like a chore. I mean I like the guitar but I'm straight up addicted to the bass right off the bat. I can hardly wait to start in tomorrow!!! I'm not sure exactly what it is about it, but it feels extremely natural to me and the speed and accuracy I was getting at with my fingers on my right hand picking was insane. It felt like what I was doing shouldn't be happening. It was kind of strange. I think this purchase might just be the best investment I ever made.

Any other stories of your first time playing the bass or something similar?
Last edited by smon2pro at Dec 21, 2009,
my first bass related instrument was a double bass which i satrted about a year and a term ago. My first grade on the double bass was grade 3 a few months after starting, so bass guitar is very similar. The first moment i was asked to play a double bass i loved it, but now since ive started bass guitar (in september) i've practicaly forgotten double bass, now i have bass guitar lessons most weeks, which ive had for like 3 weeks.
remeber you must read music rather than tabs otherwise u'll never get the rythm properly unless u know the music REALLY well. Can u read music? do u play any other instruments?
Muse. What more can i say?
I got my first bass for my confirmation (a squire jazz bass) since there had been some talking about me playing as a bassist in a band even though i had never touched one before. i din't use it until about August and for about a half year forward i practised probably 5 hours a day. I got a 5-string ibanez for Christmas the same year. The practice have slowed down a bit but it is mostly due to the season since i have trouble playing bass while its cold(bad blood circulation in my hands).
I remember I played my first bass for so long that my girlfriend actually got jealous of me playing so much that she hated my bass. HAHAHAHA! I just couldn't put it down, 6 hours a day, and my parents started to wonder if I was even alive in my room.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Good news smon2pro, every band needs a bass player so you should have lots of gigs in your future. But basses do not sound so great by themselves so it is hard to woo a pretty girl with just a bass guitar.
Quote by Super Hero
Good news smon2pro, every band needs a bass player so you should have lots of gigs in your future. But basses do not sound so great by themselves so it is hard to woo a pretty girl with just a bass guitar.

After a gig it won't be a problem
I absolutely love getting into one of those many hour grooves that you just can't tear yourself away from. Been a while though, maybe because I force myself to play for at least three hours a day regardless of what mood I'm in.

Quote by Super Hero
But basses do not sound so great by themselves so it is hard to woo a pretty girl with just a bass guitar.

Maybe you just aren't playing yours well enough. I can outplay most guitarists I know.
My first true addiction came from my youth group band of all things . We needed a new guitarist, drummer and bassist. We ended up dragging in two drummers, one decent guitarist and me and my friend. Playing my cheapy clone on a 100w amp had me hooked
ive been playing bass everyday for a good 6 hours or more and ive been playing bass for 3 years is that bad to be addicted like that?
Last edited by Disobey666 at Dec 23, 2009,
I was born with both nostrils pierced, and the bass followed me exiting the womb.
...actually, I'm a drinker with a writing problem.
Quote by SweepInMySleep
I was born with both nostrils pierced, and the bass followed me exiting the womb.

LOL!

My first bass experience went something like this.
I was known as a vocalist around where I'd just moved to, but hadn't been in a band yet. I tried out for a band, and the bassist from that band (who also was a guitarist, not a bassist by trade) said to me. "Sorry mate, you've not made the cut, your vocals just don't match the style we want...However, we could still be in a band together"
I was thinking "Great I'll be vocals in another band then "
Until he said "Playing bass though, not singing"

I'd touched on the guitar a few years ago, and just couldn't get used to it, I couldn't use a pick, and it just didn't feel nice to play, but apart from the Recorder back in Primary School I'd never touched an instruement.
I agreed, and bought a 50 UK pound ($100 approx) off eBay called "Johnny Starbrook". (It's a horrible bass!) But I got it, and I went and showed it to my friend. The first thing he taught me was that little intro at the begining of For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica.
I was in love. Playing the low E string and hearing it rumble, I couldn't and can't put it down. My right hand technique came so naturally (finger-style), and I like to think altohugh I've not been the fastest learner, I've picked it up quite quickly.

I've been playing six months now, mainly covers to "get used" to the bass, but also because I didn't know what else there was to learn. But over Christmas/New Year I intend to be doing quite a bit of technique and theory to improve my actual playing.

I'm addicted, my gf now hates me, my Johnny Starbrook and my Ibanez SR300. In fact most people are now bored of how much I play it, but god damn I love it!
Quote by Super Hero

I managed when I wasn't even any good
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I wanted to play cello for my school band, but my conductor said they needed a bass player, so I was lucky enough to be the only double bass player in the school for a year, then I switched to electric bass. I had one lesson on an electric before the holidays, and my teacher taught me higher ground.
To this date, that is still possibly the most fun song to play on bass for me.
So yeah, I sort of ended up on bass by accident, but I'm bloody grateful that I did.
I also play piano and own an acoustic guitar that I fiddle about on every now and then.