Poll: Floyd or Wilkinson?
Poll Options
View poll results: Floyd or Wilkinson?
Floyd Rose
6 75%
Wilkinson
2 25%
Voters: 8.
I just bought an arctic white strat with a 70s style headstock and truss rod. It's a project I have wanted to do for about 20 years.

I am having indecision about the tremolo though, and hopefully you folks can help me sort it out.

Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) allow you to divebomb all the way down until all of the strings are slack.

Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) don't require any routing when used in a strat.

Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) increase sustain.

Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) allow the player to do Steve Vai type whammy bar tricks (not that I am that kind of player, or anything).

Are all of these things true? If so, then the only advantage of installing a Floyd would be aesthetics. Floyds look cool, in my view, but looks alone aren't going to inspire me to get one if all that I have heard about Wilkinsons is true.

Here are some pics of what this guitar is going to look like when it's finished:

If you are wondering where the pickup selector switch is, I'll give you a hint: that's not a tone knob!
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?
Last edited by McDuffie at Dec 21, 2009,
You DON'T have to route a hole in the guitar to use a Floyd Rose. You just have to widen the already existing hole because it's a little bit wider. Non-recessed Floyd Roses can go forward and back as well if you set them up to do so. I originally put a Floyd Rose on my Strat with the intention of having it resting on the body and only going down, like a regular strat bridge. But, at the moment I have it set up so I can go forwards, backwards, change dimension and so on. I'd go for a Floyd Rose over a Wilkinson any day of the week, despite you not having a locking nut, it'll still be better.

EDIT: Just read your actual post. Wilkinson are a bunch of liars really. You can't do sh!t with a Wilkinson that you can't do with a Floyd. I think their statements are in comparison to a regular strat bridge, not a Floyd.

1. Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) allow you to divebomb all the way down until all of the strings are slack.

Not that hard to achieve, and I doubt the high E string will be slack.

2. Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) don't require any routing when used in a strat.

Floyds don't need much if you are having it non-recessed. Just a widening of the hole.

3. Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) increase sustain.

This may be true. I haven't really looked into it. If you have a Floyd Rose floating it does decrease sustain and you lose some wood tone. If you have it resting on the body then this isn't an issue.

4. Wilkinson tremolos (I have heard) allow the player to do Steve Vai type whammy bar tricks (not that I am that kind of player, or anything).

Er, yeah... Tricks that Steve did on a Floyd or Edge trem.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Dec 21, 2009,
I never heard of a Wilkinson locking trem, but maybe there's a new one? Their classic ones have a good reputation, though.
I have a single locking unit on my Yamaha that is a gem. String change almost as quick as a hardtail, strings will go so slack they drop 1/2 inch off the fretboard. Tuning stays fine and no wear after 25 years use. Oh, and its standard width, not FR width.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Floyd (double locking) will outperform a Wilkinson in every way.

(except for ease of set up and string changes)
I've got that wilkinson trem. Depending on what model strat you have, you might need to route a little bit to be able to pull up on the bar, and/or a little bit to be able to push the bar all the way into the body. That routing is almost all inside the trem cavity though, it's not like a floyd where you're taking a chunk out of the top.
The wilkinson can definitely do everything you mentioned, and they're a whole lot less of a pain in the ass compared to a floyd, and won't kill your sustain like a floyd does. Make sure you get locking tuners.
As long as you understand that you might need to remove a bit of wood, the wilkinson will be perfect for you. The way the strat cavity is designed, at least on a MIM, doesn't allow for any trem to pull up (a significant amount, I know you can float the standard trem) or slack the strings without at least a little bit of routing. The wilkinson requres the least amount of routing for full-range capability of any strat trem I'm aware of.
The range on mine goes from all the way down (all the strings go slack) to, I think, a step and a half up. I could be off on that upwards range though, I'm not near my strat to check.