So, im terrible with customising etc. Just to warn you from the off start.

Anyway, i'm looking to buy this guitar:

Cort z47

Lovely cheap guitar, but the only problem i would have is the pickups.. emg-HZ7s. I would be looking to buy myself some regular emg actives and swap them out.

Is this possible? My mate was told no. But I'm not convinced. And i know you lot know your shit. So im looking for a 2nd/3rd/4rth opinion.

thanks.
Yes it is possible to swap them out for the EMG actives, as they are the same size.

But you'll also need to rewire the whole guitar, this is because the quick wire connect are different between the actives and passives. So to put actives in that guitar you'll need to replace the pots and the output jack with the ones that come with the active pickups, 25k pots and a stero jack. And wiring it up you would just follow the diagram that comes with the new EMG actives, or you could get a guitar shop to do it for you.

So in short, yes they would fit in guitar and you can do it, it would just take some effort.

I hope that helped
Guitars:
  • 40th Annivesary Strat USA
  • BC Rich Mockingbird ST
  • ESP LTD M200UC w/ BKP Aftermath's
  • Parker P38
  • Ibanez RG7321 w/D-sonic and Liquifire
  • Tangglewood TW47 B
  • PRS SE 245
  • Edwards E-EX-110D Stain Cloudy Black
who told your friend no?

you need to replace all the elctronics, but yeah, it's totally possible as long as theres room to fit a battery, and you don't mind a little bit of work..
you can replace them with actives but not simply a direct swap..
there is a z6 or something with emgs also i think?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Quote by james4
just noticed its a 7.. :/

EMG 707s arent a regular 7 string humbucker size..

so you'll also need to do some routing.
still possible, it'll just be more work..

This isn't true in this instance.

The guitar he is getting have the Passive versions of the 7 string humbuckers, which are the same size as the active 7 string EMG's, so there is no routing required.

But if he was to buy another 7 string guitar that doesn't have the Passive EMG's 7 string pickups then the routing would be needed, but in this case, it isn't.
Guitars:
  • 40th Annivesary Strat USA
  • BC Rich Mockingbird ST
  • ESP LTD M200UC w/ BKP Aftermath's
  • Parker P38
  • Ibanez RG7321 w/D-sonic and Liquifire
  • Tangglewood TW47 B
  • PRS SE 245
  • Edwards E-EX-110D Stain Cloudy Black
Quote by hammyguitarist9
This isn't true in this instance.

The guitar he is getting have the Passive versions of the 7 string humbuckers, which are the same size as the active 7 string EMG's, so there is no routing required.

But if he was to buy another 7 string guitar that doesn't have the Passive EMG's 7 string pickups then the routing would be needed, but in this case, it isn't.

ooh, ok
I probably should have noticed that

then I'm sticking with my original post. totally possible, just calls for a re-wire