Hey , i know y'all here are into your singing and writing lyrics. I've started singing in my band out of neccessity however im not very good at coming up with lyrics (nor singing yet lol). Now my friend who studies english literature has an increible knack for spontaniously coming up with lyrics when i jam with him.

So i was hoping that you fellow UGers could recommend me some good poems to expand my vocabulary, imagery and just general lyrics writing skills. Feel free to endorse your own works and works of others famous or not famous.

mucho thankos
i dont think you need poems, it sounds like you should be looking towards a beginnig composition or creative writing books. But if you insist on going with poems anything by Poe, Dickinson, Angelou, robert frost anything like that would give you a good mix of poets.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Last edited by Opethfan1 at Dec 21, 2009,
one of my favorites is The road not taken by Robert Frost. Also, Bukowski poems are pretty cool too.
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Poe's "The Raven"
Frost's "The Road Not Taken" and "Fire and Ice"
Owen's "Anthem for Doomed Youth"
Shakespeare?

You could also try some epic poems, like The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost. Dante Alighieri helped me out tremendously when I was first starting to write lyrics.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....