You never touch the fretboard. Gives you more control and less friction in things like bending and vibrato. It's similar to using taller frets.
Because Yngwie Malmsteen does it, duh :p

But seriously I can't stand playing scalloped necks. People say it makes a better sound. Less sloppy while shredding?
...What!?
Last edited by Ergin at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by rushpython
(Yes the picture is of a strat, but its the best example i could find.)

You say that like it's a bad thing!

And I dunno. It never really appealed to me. But Steve Vai has the last four frets of some of his guitars scalloped for reasons beyond my comprehension.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by Ergin
Because Yngwie Malmsteen does it, duh :p

But seriously I can't stand playing scalloped necks. People say it makes a better sound. Less sloppy while shredding?

I'll have pics for you soon.

But I've found vibrato can be as subtle or as wild as you want it, though I've heard a slight augment in brilliance in single notes.
GTFO my sig
It´s a different feel, you either like it or you don´t. It feels a lot less stable, which forces you to be more careful about your technique, but it also has a lot more control when you´re used to it.
Less resistance when bending as you never touch the fretboard. Some players also use it to raise the pitch of the note by simply pressing down hard on the sting (instead of bending). It really doesn't feel that odd unless you have a heavy touch to begin with. People who look a the fretboard a lot when playing will get really screwed up by it.....if you don't look when playing it really isn't all that different.
i just noticed that the last like 5 frets on my js have the same thing
idk.
i usually don't play that high
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by travislausch
You say that like it's a bad thing!

yeah im a strat hater. thats becuse i learned on a squier and i played other fenders, and found that humbuckers sound a million times better.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I would never get my whole board scalloped, but I find it useful on the top frets, like 22-24 for making bends easier
Quote by Vlasco
It´s a different feel, you either like it or you don´t. It feels a lot less stable, which forces you to be more careful about your technique, but it also has a lot more control when you´re used to it.

This.
But it's so worth it. I played that same strat at the local guitar shop and I nearly creamed. And now I want to get my guitar's fretboard scalloped. If only it werent' so expensive.