So like the title says I wana build a guitar. I dont have the tools time or knowledge to TRULY build my own guitar but I would like to buy the parts and pt it together.

I see kits that come with everything you need on ebay but I dont wana awaste my time and money on some cheap equipment. Would it be worth it to buy this kit, put it together well, and drop in new pickups? I found a german site where you order just the parts and made myself a tele guitar with a bigsby trem system which is now what i really wanna do. This tele body also had two slots for PUPs? is this normal? the second looked like it wouldnt fit a normal sized tele pickup. ANyway I would like to order myself whatever I need for the holidays and get to assembling soon after.

I know some of you will say noob, or thats not building a guitar and your right im not. but i would like to do assemble one for a fun project, and come out with a nice guitar.

I would like to try a nice american site to order all my parts but again i dont know enough to the point where I wont know exactly what to order, what works with what, and i'd prob end up leaving something important out.

so yeah, any and all suggestions or tips or directions to look in would all be greatly appreciated. Im looking to build a strat or tele (as I have a les P like guitar already) guitar with a bigsby trem system. not sure if a bigsby will work on a strat but i saw it will with a tele so ill have to go with that. Please help me UG.

And Happy Holidays To All
Quote by CarnivalBeam
This tele body also had two slots for PUPs? is this normal?

*face palm* pup is short for PickUP.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
stop now....please.....

you obviously dont know what you need to know to pull it off, and there is no one here that is going to be able to walk you through it....

its not as easy as you would think, because if it was everyone would build their own....leave it to the pro's man...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
This tele body also had two slots for PUPs? is this normal?

At least you admit you're a noob... Pup = Pickup. If you don't even know what pups are, stay far, far away from building your own guitar.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by AdAm_S
*face palm* pup is short for PickUP.

*Face palm*
he knows that. A tele is supposed to have 3 slots for pups, not two. So yes its not normal.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
*Face palm*
he knows that. A tele is supposed to have 3 slots for pups, not two. So yes its not normal.

*face palm* um... tele's almost always have 2 pups... just sayin.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Google it.
They have a bridge, neck, and one in between.

http://tinyurl.com/yfroylp

wow ur dumb.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
someone can't tell between strats and teles...
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
tell me about it. and then, doesn't think to double check his info before fighting about it.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
haha wow yes im a noob but I said PUPs because, I know that PUPs means pickups and figured most of you would to s i tried to save time, but im glad some of you got off about knowing what PUPs are...now who is the real noob. And im talking about a tele here not a strat.

let me rephrase for you: The normal tele body from what ive seen, teles normally have 2 PUPs but I saw a tele which seemed to have 3.

http://edenhaus.com/GIFS/TELE%20THUMBS/Tele.1950.thumb.jpg

compared to

http://www.joetheguitarman.com/SmithTeleBodyRaw.jpg

and that third PUP spot seems to be of a different size then a normal so what I was aksing is, is this true? does that third slot only take a special PUP?

So at this point I figure I know more then what some of you who posted here already know and to the guy who says i dont know enough to do it is a complete fool cause they sell kits where all you need to know is how to turn a screwdriver. But if it helps you feel good your right, I dont know anything let alone enough.

anyway im gonna check out warmoth right now, (thanks to panda avatar man) but im still looking for some help from someone who actually knows a thing or two and has experience ordering every part of a guitar sepereately and then assembling it. Thanks
Last edited by CarnivalBeam at Dec 22, 2009,
lol, get a kit. everything you need in a box.

or stop anoing the forum with ya n00by posts ;D

lmao.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by CarnivalBeam
haha wow yes im a noob but I said PUPs because, I know that PUPs means pickups and figured most of you would to s i tried to save time, but im glad some of you got off about knowing what PUPs are...now who is the real noob. And im talking about a tele here not a strat.

let me rephrase for you: The normal tele body from what ive seen, teles normally have 2 PUPs but I saw a tele which seemed to have 3.

http://edenhaus.com/GIFS/TELE%20THUMBS/Tele.1950.thumb.jpg

compared to

http://www.joetheguitarman.com/SmithTeleBodyRaw.jpg

and that third PUP spot seems to be of a different size then a normal so what I was aksing is, is this true? does that third slot only take a special PUP?

So at this point I figure I know more then what some of you who posted here already know and to the guy who says i dont know enough to do it is a complete fool cause they sell kits where all you need to know is how to turn a screwdriver. But if it helps you feel good your right, I dont know anything let alone enough.

anyway im gonna check out warmoth right now, (thanks to panda avatar man) but im still looking for some help from someone who actually knows a thing or two and has experience ordering every part of a guitar sepereately and then assembling it. Thanks
That's not a normal tele route at all. Don't take my word for it, but that can't possibly be a pup spot. It's probably a hole for some sort of other device, like a circuit or possibly just to make it easier to get the wires from the neck to the control plate.

On a normal tele routing, the bridge route is slightly bigger because the pickup is tilted.

Also you didn't mention three anywhere at all in your original post which is probably why everyone was confused.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Dec 22, 2009,
warmoth is not a bad place to look and you can probably get cheap parts (i.e. pickups bridge etc.) from guitarfetish.com . You don't want to put to mutch money in to your first guitar.. i won't at least..
For the body.. you can make one by youreself if you have some sort of working space and maybye someone to help.. Or if you have previous experience with wood.. But the more you do your self the less guitar you gett.. generaly with noobs :P
Vintage V100 Peter Green signature
Squier LP
inbanez 12 string V
"custom" Abertone strat made in finland
Squier Acoustic Hello Kitty
Orange Tiny terror
Yamaha cabinet from the 60´s
most of the responses in this thread are the exact model of what not to say in GB&C

...seriously.. :/

TS, you say you don't want to waste time and money on something with unknown quality.
does that mean you've got lots of money to spend on this?

because if money's not an issue, check out warmoth.com, like pugna said.
they don't sell kits, but they sell everything you need to assemble a fully working high quality guitar.

if you don't want to spend as much, then how much do you want to spend? "not as much" isn't very specific

that extra route in the tele isn't for a pickup. the first body you posted will work with or without a pickguard.
the second one has that extra route in it to make the wires easier to pass through to the control cavity. it's probably easier to make a body that way, too, because it means they dont need a super long drill bit at an awkward angle.
Quote by AntiG3
... or possibly just to make it easier to get the wires from the neck to the control plate.
I'm fairly certain that's exactly what it is.

To TS: You should start with a kit. Or maybe you should buy a very cheap used squier tele or so and disassemble it so you can get acquainted with how guitars are built. And then you can sand the paint off, etc. etc. and you have your kit lolz.

....... also, zettai ryouiki + twin ponytails ftw.....
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by james4
most of the responses in this thread are the exact model of what not to say in GB&C

...seriously.. :/

TS, you say you don't want to waste time and money on something with unknown quality.
does that mean you've got lots of money to spend on this?

because if money's not an issue, check out warmoth.com, like pugna said.
they don't sell kits, but they sell everything you need to assemble a fully working high quality guitar.

if you don't want to spend as much, then how much do you want to spend? "not as much" isn't very specific

that extra route in the tele isn't for a pickup. the first body you posted will work with or without a pickguard.
the second one has that extra route in it to make the wires easier to pass through to the control cavity. it's probably easier to make a body that way, too, because it means they dont need a super long drill bit at an awkward angle.

+1

All those facepalms were pretty damn annoying. Everybody starts learning at some points. You werent born knowing what a pup is.
im looking to spend between 200 and 400 dollars. I built a guitar on warmoth and it totaled like 600 bucks. So i guess im stuck with a kit huh? I too thought of buying a squier tele and maybe taking it apart, droppong better pups in it and ordering the bigsby trem to install. whatchya think about that?

so as far as I see there are only 3 diff kit makers really. SAGA, GRIZZLY, and some other one I saw on ebay, and they all seem to be the same quality am i right? except for this grizzly heirloom edition:

http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Grizzly-H8070-Heirloom-Curly-Maple-Telecaster174/M/B000LONIN6.htm

which is 300 and right down my alley but is its quality really that much better?, but add in the 180 dollar bigsby and were a good deal over my maximum.

so how are the saga kits? has anyone bought a SAGA or GRIZZLY guitar kit before?

do you think it would be worth it to buy one of these cheap kits fro 100 bucks, buy some new pups, my beloved bigsby trem system and put it together?

I see these kits say no soldering needed for wiring is all done so I assume id have to rewire the new pups?

BTW some of you are really helping me out instead of wasting time posting useless stuff and I really do appreciate that, and happy holidays to you!
I've never done a kit build, so I'm not really sure about quality..
but in general, price reflects the quality.

besides the places you know, mightymite makes some decent quality parts (but like warmoth, it's not a kit, just pre-made parts)
http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/ also sells kits, but they're uk based, and may end up being a bit above your price range.
I've heard very good things, though, so they could be worth checking out.

guitarfetish also sells kits, but last time I looked, theres no tele available, anymore. they sell bodies and necks seperate, too, though.

or, like you said.. try finding a squier tele (make sure it's not one of the plywood body ones!), and mod it like crazy
thats just as good an idea, and you may be able to find a used tele for cheap on ebay or craigslist.

and yup, even with pre-wired electronics, you're going to have to re-solder some stuff when you put in new pickups
GuitarFetish doesn't have any Tele kits, but you can buy the parts for a Tele build. From what I've heard, they make pretty decent stuff for the price.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Ideally the cheapest way to do this is to cut the body yourself, but that can be a bit challenging if you don't know someone with or have woodworking skills.

But yeah, you can buy an ash (I can't say anything about it's quality though) body from GFS for $64, along with pickups and you can buy a fender tele neck off ebay for quite cheap, which should allow you to have an extra $180 for the bigsby.

Quote by Lekz
....... also, zettai ryouiki + twin ponytails ftw.....
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by CarnivalBeam

You're missing the bridge. The pickup winding is a very tedious/boring/time consuming process, unless you have a pickup winder or make yourself one somehow.

EDIT: Nevermind about the bridge. Must've missed it or something. xD
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by Lekz at Dec 23, 2009,
if you're not using a pickguard, it looks good..

you might also want ferrules.. you're using a bigsby, so the strings dont go through the body like they do with a standard tele bridge, but with no string ferrules in the back, you'd just have unprotected holes that'd be pretty vulnerable to cracks in the finish

even if you get the pickup parts, you still need a winder..
and even then, you're probably not going to get a sound you really like on the first couple times..

just buying pickups is probably a safer bet, if you dno't want to spend time and money playing with winding your own :/
You're going to want a nut, some knobs for them pots, strap buttons, some woodfiller to fill the string thru holes on the body, some sandpaper and paint
okay wow thanks guys, this thread has come a long way from the bashing at first to some truly helpful posts, awesome. So yes ill get the ferrules, strap buttons and knobs. and ill scrap the pup kits for now.

so weve established I know what pups are but I dont know much more then that. I know the difference between a single coil and a humbucker but thats it. Im looking at pups now, whats the difference between a high output compared to a pup without any increased output? more output more treble? i dont wana just throw in some regular seymours like i assume most others do, (unless you all say they are truly that good) but im looking for a nice bright sound with a bit of a twist. are any pups out there that add a real whacky difference? Thanks again to all
Quote by zlaxguitar
Why is a tele better than a strat =?

Just because it's a tele

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a guitar can have as many pickups as you want it to have. Fender makes them in many different formats, and other brands copying the tele have their own formats. And really, the number of pickups doesn't affect how hard it is to build. If you can solder one, you can solder 3.