Hi everyone,

I'm using an old Randall RG80ES Solid State head and a Randall R212JT cabinet (2x12).

The speaker cabinet has a switch to choose 4 or 16 ohms and I'm not sure which setting is correct. On the back of the head above the two speaker jacks it states

"100 Watts RMS 4 Ohms,
80 Watts RMS 8 Ohms"

Below that label are two jacks each labelled 8 ohms. To confuse me further, the manual only states "Less than 8 Ohm load impedence not recommended".

Does anybody know which setting is right when using just one cabinet (4 or 16 ohms)?

I also have a matching bottom cabinet which I almost never use.

Thanks
If it were me, I'd run it at 4 since it states it gets full power at that load.

However, a more cautious person might choose to run it at 16. SS amps are less picky about mismatches.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
There's no right or wrong switch for the cab, you can use either one.

In your case, switch the cab to 4 ohms, and use the 4 ohm speaker out on the head. If you use the bottom cabinet, just plug another cable into the 8 ohm output and into the bottom cab.
the ohms on the head should always be lower than that on ur cab. say if u choose 4 ohms on the head, then the cab should be either 4 ohms or 8 ohms, but no more than double that of the head. here are the connections.

4 ohm to 4 ohm
4 ohm to 8 ohm
8 ohm to 8 ohm
8 ohm to 16 ohm

also make sure its mono to mono or stereo to stereo.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
^That's for tube amps. He's got a SS head, let's not make this too complicated. As long as there's a cab connected, it will work. Matching 4 ohms to 4 ohms will get the most power out of the head, which is why I suggested that.
Quote by eastern_riffs
the ohms on the head should always be lower than that on ur cab. say if u choose 4 ohms on the head, then the cab should be either 4 ohms or 8 ohms, but no more than double that of the head. here are the connections.

4 ohm to 4 ohm
4 ohm to 8 ohm
8 ohm to 8 ohm
8 ohm to 16 ohm

also make sure its mono to mono or stereo to stereo.

Thats for tube heads. And not for all tubes heads. Every company is different.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
lol i didnt notice that it was a solid state he was talkin about
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
best thing to do would be re-wire the cab. the cab has two 8 ohm speakers in it. wire each up to a separate jack. plug each speaker into its own jack.

the two outputs are in parallel, hence why two 8 ohm loads would give you 4 ohms. your two speakers are hooked up in parallel when you have the cab turned to 4 ohms. so why not just take 10 minutes to make the issue completly moot?