Am I the only one who just doesn't care about genre's and classifications regarding music? I see people here and in the real world getting so overly emotional about genres. Does it really matter if a band is Death Metal or Black Metal? Granted I know very little about metal so there is probably a huge difference in those two genres that only someone who listens to that music can see. But you get my point, do those little details really matter? I just don't see the point in obsessing or getting worked up whenever someone says a band falls under a certain genre when they don't.

[/rant]
Forget genres, the real conflict is in the subgenres.

"LOLZ UR MOOSICZ NOT BROOTALZ ENOUGH ITS SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL NOT SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACKENED DEATH METAL CHUG-CORE LOLZ!!!"
Quote by AA00P

"LOLZ UR MOOSICZ NOT BROOTALZ ENOUGH ITS SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL NOT SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACKENED DEATH METAL CHUG-CORE LOLZ!!!"

sigged
Quote by AA00P

Quote by AA00P

If you can't hear the difference I suggest you buy a hearing aid.
Quote by StringAssassin

I think I'm ready for my hearing aid then.
Other than the different riffs, there's pretty much no difference. Granted my speakers are currently a pair of headphones and are broken into fourths but nonetheless I hear no significant difference.
Last edited by Finalconflict at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by StringAssassin

For the record, I happen to rather like 2,3&4. I dunno what 1 was, the link didn't work.
Anyways.

Do you think all the metal in my music library is simply labeled "metal"? Of course not. I use subgenres to keep things organized, but not to the point where they're so ridiculously contrived that each band has its own subgenre.
So in my library, there are bands other than Darkthrone, Burzum, and Mayhem that are labeled black metal, and melodic death isn't limited to bands from Sweden during the 90's.

EDIT: Thankee very kindly, Jared8998.
Last edited by AA00P at Dec 21, 2009,
I happen to agree with the OP now that i think about it. If i hear music and i like it, that's just great. If i hear music that i like from a genre that i generally don't like, i'm still going to listen to it no matter how much i hate that genre. For exmaple, i hate, and i mean loath Rap. Yet i love several eminem songs.
When I write music, I just write what I want to hear, which may be many different genres. But I dont even know the difference between a lot of subgenres in metal and hardcore. I just can tell theyre different, but I have no clue how to name them.
I don't listen to genres, I listen to bands. Sure, genres are there for a reason, but I don't really get way into it.