So I'm looking at getting a 120w tube amp, but its pretty much for bedroom practice. I've read that tubes sound better played louder, but I obviously don't want to practice at like 6 volume.

Anyways this leads me to believe that the more power going through the tubes the better they sound (well to a point i'm sure). Ohms being a measure of resistance should mean that the higher the ohmage (?) the more power needs to be run through the amp to equal the same volume.

So if i have a 16 ohm cab, will it require more power to be at the same volume as a 4 ohm cab, and if so will the increase in power lead to a better tone at a lower volume?

I'm sure my electronics theory is way off. So sorry if i sound like a dummy.
Thanks.
yeah it's true more resistance = less power. in theory it would take more power to reach the same volume, but it'd be negligible at band levels. the tone may be slightly different, but probably a negligible amount as well.

more importantly just make sure the cab's rating matches what the head can put out. and yeah, it's gonna be loud, but if you gig regularly i think it'll be worth the 'not as good' tone at bedroom levels.

what amps are you looking at? because you don't really need 120watts of volume, but you may want that amount of headroom.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah it's true more resistance = less power. in theory it would take more power to reach the same volume, but it'd be negligible at band levels. the tone may be slightly different, but probably a negligible amount as well.

more importantly just make sure the cab's rating matches what the head can put out. and yeah, it's gonna be loud, but if you gig regularly i think it'll be worth the 'not as good' tone at bedroom levels.

what amps are you looking at? because you don't really need 120watts of volume, but you may need that amount of headroom.

+1

If you're not gigging then you may wish to look into a smaller amp. There are plenty of 5 watt tube amps on the market these days, one of which would probably suite your needs (although a 5 watt tube amp will still be pretty loud).
Looking at the Bugera 6260. As far as I know they don't make anything smaller.
I doubt I'll be doing much actual gigging, if anything it will just be practice with a band.
I picked the bugera for the purported tone / price (supposed to sound like the peavey but cheaper, and the peavey is suppsoed to be pretty good for metal so it should be good for me). Unless there is some gnarly ass 5 watter out there I haven't seen mention of.
Thanks.
getting a 120 watt tube amp for bedroom practice is like getting a flame thrower for a cigarette lighter. its so "way too much" it would be useless to you. a fifteen watt tube amp is too loud for practice when its at half volume. if you want a tube amp for practice the less wattage the better. even a one watt tube amp would be loud enough that you couldnt turn it up all the way without everybody in your house hearing it. at night and getting pissed. you should look for the smallest tube amp you can get that has the features you want if its just for practice.
Depending on your budget you may want to look into the Krank Rev Jr. Pro - Krank isn't everyone's cup of tea, most of the time you either love them or you hate them. However, they make kick ass metal amps and it would be a bit more suited for bedroom use than a 120watt amp.
^^ high gain amps are generally higher wattage, you know.

you could try out the blackstar ht-5, but it'll just be heard in a band setting. and +1 to the krank, it sounds pretty gnarly.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
getting a 120 watt tube amp for bedroom practice is like getting a flame thrower for a cigarette lighter. its so "way too much" it would be useless to you. a fifteen watt tube amp is too loud for practice when its at half volume. if you want a tube amp for practice the less wattage the better. even a one watt tube amp would be loud enough that you couldnt turn it up all the way without everybody in your house hearing it. at night and getting pissed. you should look for the smallest tube amp you can get that has the features you want if its just for practice.

Rgr, I understand its way too much, but I don't want a super small amp with a tiny speaker that sounds like crap. I would like some good low end and I'm not sure if you can get that from like an 8" practice amp. Although I most definately could be (and probably am) wrong.
good low end comes with the amps voicing. 15 tube watts through a 12 inch speaker will get you very nice low end if its eq'd up right and not some vintage throwback amp with intentionally flabby low end in the name of period correctness. nothing with one eight inch speaker will sound great on the low end regardless of wattage. the low end is, like i said, more of an amp characteristic and not necessarily dependant on wattage. id say the krank would be a good choice but if i were you i would go to a guitar center or something and actually try out a few amps and see what you can get by dialing them in to your liking. youd be supprised at how little power it can take to get a truckload of tone, even if you want metal.