I play a taylor and fender mex hss. I was thinking of picking up a gibson solid body. For a nice thick blues sound. How are the faded series? Are they junk or worth the $$. How is the sound quality?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I used to have one. The pickups are really only good for blues. They are very bassy and get muddy if you use too much distortion. The neck was not the same as the one on my friend's LP, but it was better than most of the necks on Epiphones that I've played.
I would only buy one I could try out in the store first as they can be hit/miss. With that said, when you find a good one they can be REALLY good and are the rare case of a Gibson actually being worth the money.
i have a faded flying v with three humbuckers. its a piece of crap.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
My SG faded is awesome. They'll give you a great tone for blues, I'm sure. There are some really nice ones and some okay ones, so you'll just have to look.
I have a 2007 Faded Flying V, it is just as good if not better than the standard issue imo. But like Chad said, its hit or miss with quality, so if you can, try a couple out first. I went through 3 of the same before deciding on the one i have.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
what about the studios? Now what is better a 700 gib or a diff brand for 700?

the thing with trying them out is . about 400000 ppl tried them out before u and scratched them all up and etc and beat the hell out odf them and they still want full retail for them. This is common at GC .

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by silly6-string
what about the studios? Now what is better a 700 gib or a diff brand for 700?

the thing with trying them out is . about 400000 ppl tried them out before u and scratched them all up and etc and beat the hell out odf them and they still want full retail for them. This is common at GC .

That's true, but it's the only way to know for sure if you want the guitar. If it's really badly scratched, point it out to the GC employees and they'll lower the price. You're going to scratch it up, too, once you've played it a bit. If you buy one online, you'll have to just hope that it's right for you, which could end badly.
^^ this
buying a faded online is a real gamble. And it may cost you 700$ so you better be lucky.
well funny u say that cause i showed a guy a sg and it was badly scratched . And he still charged me full price.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string

Not all of GC's stock is on the floor. If you are serious about buying you can have them pull stock from the back.
I think that the thing with the fadeds is either you love them or you hate them really.

I also think you could find any faded model that would be suitable for a thick bluesy tone provided you try before you buy - they all sound and feel very different, and are entirely individual, so my advice would be don't settle for anything less than the one that sounds and feels best to you even if it wasn't the specific model you were looking for. i was looking for an SG but i'm glad i got my les paul.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Just use the neck p'up on the Fender. It gets nice and thick, and with a bit of reverb, you'll be in blues heaven.
in my experience, fairly variable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?