Sheila, my pride and joy took a spill earlier today. She was in her soft case and slipped off my shoulder and onto the floor backside first. The joint of the headstock and the neck is a cracked now through the finish. It is an Epiphone G-400 that I've had for four or five years and I've modded it quite a bit. The tuning keys and pots are the only thing stock on it. I really like it and I don't wanna give up on it, but I'm afraid it might be too far gone.

Its a set neck, so its not as simple to change as a bolt on, I'm wondering if its even worth it or if I should scrap it and sell the hardware and buy something new or what. I'm pretty sure the crack is beyond being reasonable to repair. it is playable, stays in tune, but its missing a bit of sustain.

I'll get pics up soon, I'd love some advice on my best course of action
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Its not beyond repair. If you take it to an experienced repairman, he'll probably know how to fix it. It seems to be a common problem among gibson made guitars.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
She tried to kill herself because you gave her a stupid name, dude... Your own fault :s
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
Quote by Plaeghdraeger
She tried to kill herself because you gave her a stupid name, dude... Your own fault :s

My guitar's called Bettsy The pickups have died multiple times

To TS, go and get your guitar repaired by someone expierenced I'm sure Sheila will be fine and you can have plenty of gigs with her in the future
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Plaeghdraeger

+1 lol
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
Quote by Plaeghdraeger

so its looking like its not beyond repair then? How much should I expect to pay? How hard would it be to do myself. I consider myself fairly competent, and my dad's a carpenter, so I've got most of the tools already, if its reasonable, I'd rather do it myself for both the experience and the savings. If anyone could point my in the right direction that'd be appreciated.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
pics of the crack?

most likely youre gonna get the response of either
"open the crack up some more and syringe some titebond oringinal in there then clamp the **** out of it"

or

"finish the break (break the headstock the rest of the way off) then smother with titebond original and clamp to hell and back"
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs

so its looking like its not beyond repair then? How much should I expect to pay? How hard would it be to do myself. I consider myself fairly competent, and my dad's a carpenter, so I've got most of the tools already, if its reasonable, I'd rather do it myself for both the experience and the savings. If anyone could point my in the right direction that'd be appreciated.

I'm not sure how much you'd have to pay. I'd say take it to a store (place where they fix 'em) and just ask them to check it out
I'm not entirely sure on the difficulty. All I can say either google it or find some people here on ug/anywhere else and get some advice
You could always sit and watch them fix your guitar so you'd know how to come across the problem if it ever emerged again

Hope i've been some help
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Depending on the severity of it, you might be able to just squeeze some tightbond into the crack, and clamp it and leave it overnight.
And take your strings off right now if you still have them on. You don't need to be putting any stress on that joint right now.

Once you've got pictures up we'll be able to determine if just shooting some tightbond in there and clamping it will work out all right.
Quote by Plaeghdraeger

Are you mocking the name Sheila?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I just went out and glued it with my dad, using titebond. its being clamped to oblivion right now so we'll see what happens in the morning. I didn't get any pics btw, but that doesn't matter now cause I don't necessarily need any more advice, if this doesn't work its off to the local music store with it for them to fix. Thanks guys. I hope to have a success story tomorrow afternoon.

Edit:
Quote by smartalec007

Are you mocking the name Sheila?

Holy crap! I didn't think anyone else would recognize it if I mentioned my inspiration, but thank you. Yes, Sheila of Red vs Blue is where this Sheila came from.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Dec 21, 2009,
If you want to do it yourself, it's a simple matter of Titebond Original, some clamps, and patience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41stfp-NVQ is a step-by-step tutorial.

EDIT: 'Twould appear I'm horribly, horribly late.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
Holy crap! I didn't think anyone else would recognize it if I mentioned my inspiration, but thank you. Yes, Sheila of Red vs Blue is where this Sheila came from.

Marry me.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
only if I get to be the boy^
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
awww..........how cute. hahahahaha
and its not a stupid name.....
just because someone names their guitar something semi-normal (my dad actually named his seagull acoustic sheila, and that thing is beautiful) and not like "super Br00tul mephisto's breath of the million super scales power" doesn't mean its not cool.
^named my old ibanez this, btw. xD
and yes, Epi/gibson headstock design is very fragile...........had to do this once myself with my brothers guitar.
x_x