i play some pretty bassy "brutal" stuff, but at the same time shred way high up. im looking for an emg and seem to have narrowed it down to the emg 81. the emg 81x also caught my eye. whats the better choice for me? any other active pickups i should consider?
thanks in advance
-tsa
Eww.

But if you have to have actives... Seymour Duncan Blackouts tend to be better than most EMGs.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

you could also look at seymour duncan blackouts, the x series are said to sound better at metal than standard emg's
Last edited by britishsligean at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by britishsligean
you could also look at seymour duncan blackouts, the x series are better at metal standard emg's

what? rephrase that.

i checked out the seymour duncan blackouts and they seem dandy, but i only want the one for bridge position. would it still be superior to the emg 81 if this is the case?
Quote by Chikarai
get emg 85 to the bridge

lrn2troll
Quote by tsa
lrn2troll

It's actually not a bad idea, just not practical in your application. As much as I hate actives, I'd say the Seymour Duncan Blackout. I haven't tried the 81X, so yeah.

Is your guitar only one pickup? Cause you can't have a passive paired with an active unless you want to get into wire-schematic hell.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's actually not a bad idea, just not practical in your application. As much as I hate actives, I'd say the Seymour Duncan Blackout. I haven't tried the 81X, so yeah.

Is your guitar only one pickup? Cause you can't have a passive paired with an active unless you want to get into wire-schematic hell.

its got all passives right now. im pretty sure im just going to dodge that bullet, and just pay for the shop to do the work. the guitar needs the cut out and i am not willing to risk ****ing it up doing it myself. the more and more i look at the blackout the more appealing it becomes.
Must it be an active pup?

DiMarzio and SD make some really good high output PU's that are much better IMO than actives
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
what pickup is in the neck of the jim root sig tele?

that thing is sweet.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94

that thing is sweet.

emg 60
Last edited by britishsligean at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by tsa
its got all passives right now. im pretty sure im just going to dodge that bullet, and just pay for the shop to do the work. the guitar needs the cut out and i am not willing to risk ****ing it up doing it myself. the more and more i look at the blackout the more appealing it becomes.

Either way, it'll cost more to try and pair an active with a passive in terms of labor and work for the tech.
Quote by Chikarai
get emg 85 to the bridge

This is a great bridge pickup. Shadows Fall's guitar player does it, a ton of people on the ESP forums do it, and I do it. I got a guitar with it and I loved it for a bit and then hated it until I tried the 18V mod. Although I hate a lot of things about actives this sounds very good. The only pickups I really feel compare is the Bill Lawerence XL500/L500Clean set it my Gibson V. I haven't tried blackouts but TS you may look up some clips of 85's in the bridge. I'd say overall it is more boomy(in a good way) with less compression especially with the 18V mod. Also a little thing about getting pickups put it, you really should have to route it any guitar for the battery or anything and the only thing that has to be done now with the whole solder-less installation is soldering the battery clip to the input jack. Even if you can't do you should know someone that'd solder a single wire for free.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
60A in the bridge till i die. ill never use the 81 again. doing the 18v mod costs a few bucks, takes a few minutes, and its worth it.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by tsa

I've got a few questions.

1) What amp do you have?
2) What guitar is this for?
3) What do you mean by "guitar needs the cut out"
Quote by Silver-spear94

that thing is sweet.

motherf*cker is in a metal band playing a damn tele....nuff said. F8ck that guy and F8ck his tele. his tone comes from his damn pedal anyway....i hate slipknot(my opinion)
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
motherf*cker is in a metal band playing a damn tele....nuff said. F8ck that guy and F8ck his tele. his tone comes from his damn pedal anyway....i hate slipknot(my opinion)

Troll fail...
I like the 81 in the bridge on my LTD, though Im not digging the 85 in the neck, I may switch to a 60.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I've got a few questions.

1) What amp do you have?
2) What guitar is this for?
3) What do you mean by "guitar needs the cut out"

I'm pretty sure the "guitar needs the cut out" is referring to routing a battery compartment, seeing as the guitar currently has 2 passives.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
EMGs were meant to be played on tube amps only! If you are not an owner of a decent tube amp forget the EMGs.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
i am a big fan of the 60/81 setup

That's what i got and i love it. I don't get all the hate... on emgs....
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Slash546
I'm pretty sure the "guitar needs the cut out" is referring to routing a battery compartment, seeing as the guitar currently has 2 passives.

Eh if that's the case then 90% of the time that routing is not needed. You can generally place a 9V battery in the current routing most of the time without much hassle. Of course it's not pretty but tbh I'd rather that then route out more wood.