I was wondering what is or if there is a way to train your pinky finger to play some of these scales and some chords when you don't have a guitar on hand. Are there any finger stretches or something to help loosen the pinky up a little?

I have such a hard time with using my pinky finger for playing, it's been about 8 years since I've owned a guitar and now I'm trying to re-train myself the right way but my pinky doesn't want to cooperate.

i think there's a finger excersiser you can buy on guitarcenter.com
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
i trained my pinky using guitar hero.

no, no joke, seriously i did.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Pinky's a bitch. Over time it will cooperate, try playing more stuff that forces you to use it. As for stretches you could do, I have no idea.
the planetwaves gripmaster will help build strength and independence, in terms of span, steve vai reckons most peeps have a 7 fret span (he`s got extra large hands), 1st to 5th or 6th fret would be normal imo.....
Acctually, guitar hero helped me a bit too. But what i did at a real guitar is simply pretending my ring finger has gone missing! So i replaced it with my super-tiny pinky. And guess what, couple a weeks after the pinky is just as good as my ring finger.
I'll have to try all of this, hopefully the wife will leave enough room in the car for me to bring my guitar to the in-laws.
yeah, for like 4 years i couldnt play with my pinky at all, and guitar hero legitimately taught me how to use it! haha the pinky builds strength and stamina quick, just use your pinky instead of your ring finger for a while and that should do ya some good
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by ChrisrMS
Hahaha, yeah I didn't catch that one

I should tell you right now that I have an affinity for cougars and married women
It sounds strange but tape/tie your pink to your ring finger halfway between your knuckle and first knuckle and play scales, it helps and I found it on an article on UG. Also learn a crappy punk song, no offense to anyone, and play the power chords with your pinky and index finger, helps a ton. You can also substitute any lame metal song that just uses power chords for punk songs.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Quote by Silver-spear94
i trained my pinky using guitar hero.

no, no joke, seriously i did.

no word of a lie this is exactly what i did, b4 guitar hero i couldnt use it, after playing guitar for a few months i can use it no problem at all
Quote by FFFDFEFRFKFFF
It sounds strange but tape/tie your pink to your ring finger halfway between your knuckle and first knuckle and play scales, it helps and I found it on an article on UG. Also learn a crappy punk song, no offense to anyone, and play the power chords with your pinky and index finger, helps a ton. You can also substitute any lame metal song that just uses power chords for punk songs.

Ahhhh, the tape idea is very interesting. I'm definitely gonna try that. I usually play power chords with both my index and pinky anyway, sometimes I don't but I feel more comfortable playing power chords that way.
okay she can travel in my car, leaves more room for the guitars in yours........i think there`s a picture width limit on UG so i`d not be able to post a pic of my missus on here....lol
That woman right there, that woman. I tell ya she ain't going nowhere If she can deal with me bedridden for around 8 months and marry me knowing I'm going for a double lung transplant at age 27 when the life expectancy ain't too great... then she ain't going nowhere.

Until I croak that is.
Hell I'm doing great! I'm almost 4 months out and already done two 5k's, just had a problem with a nerve in my leg and had to have surgery for that. But other than that I'm healthier than I've been in 10+ years.
I don't know about "pretending you don't have a ring finger" and taping your fingers together, those both sound like bad ideas to me. =\

Make exercises designed to use your pinky. Simple as that. Legato can be used to build strength. Something like this

-5h8p7h8-

and repeat that on any string. Or just use some things that have wider reaches.

g-------------11-12-14-12-11-----12-11--------11-
d-11-12-14---------------------14---------14-12-----14-12
Last edited by In_Black_Flames at Dec 21, 2009,
I've been working the pinky out as much as possible with different scales and chord formations, I also took the suggestion of playing Rock Band I don't have a console but I got the bundle for the PC on Amazon for $30. Says it's a bundle with the guitar and all but if not I can just buy the guitar at Gamestop. That would be a fun exercise.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
Quote by In_Black_Flames

and repeat that on any string. Or just use some things that have wider reaches.

g-------------11-12-14-12-11-----12-11--------11-
d-11-12-14---------------------14---------14-12-----14-12

i like that one... thanks!