Poll: What is your preferred musical style?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your preferred musical style?
Metal
180 49%
Blues
52 14%
Punk
32 9%
Classical
13 4%
Indie
58 16%
Jazz
16 4%
Country
1 0%
Funk
12 3%
Voters: 364.
Page 1 of 4
Hey UG'ers. Here's my first poll in the pit

What's the general trend in playing style? Be it metal? Be it jazz? I'm a blues man myself. Are there music majors or tab junkies or self taught's or all of the above?

Le rock on.

EDIT: Rock and pop are also in the poll, you just cant see them.
Then He said, let there be music. Thus, there was a funky beat.
Last edited by SpunkNFunk at Dec 21, 2009,
No rock?
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Im self-taught, but I use theory and sheet.

I listen to anything I can Chopin, Vampire Weekend, DJ Shadow, and Rory Gallagher. If it sounds good, then it sounds good.

My playing is a mix between Nick Valensi, Nick Zinner, Jeff Beck, and Johnny Marr.

I don't try to write in a style, I just write the music. Its the fans and label's jobs to decide how bad I suck and what genre I am.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Im self-taught, but I use theory and sheet.

I listen to anything I can Chopin, Vampire Weekend, DJ Shadow, and Rory Gallagher. If it sounds good, then it sounds good.

My playing is a mix between Nick Valensi, Nick Zinner, Jeff Beck, and Johnny Marr.

I don't try to write in a style, I just write the music. Its the fans and label's jobs to decide how bad I suck and what genre I am.

Tru dat.
What is indie exactly? I always thought that it meant independent music (no major labels), but it seems that it's a genre.
Damn you, you 09'er
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
metal or classical....because elecrtic is most fun with metal and classical is awesome. THANK YOU TS FOR NOT ADDING POP is it even a style of music or diffuclty level? (low)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
mostly everything, but mostly rock and indie, to be honest your poll sucks, as you've left out major genres
I mostly play metal with guitar, but with my bass is all experimental/prog. rock

& I usually just use tabs to learn everything, but have started trying to work things out by ear
Quote by bloodlust_panda
metal or classical....because elecrtic is most fun with metal and classical is awesome. THANK YOU TS FOR NOT ADDING POP is it even a style of music or diffuclty level? (low)

you are a very stupid person
I suppose it's mostly metal, but there are also some punk, classical, rock, blues, and occasionally jazz influences in my playing.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Thrash/hardcore/shred/blues but mainly thrash so I said metal.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I express my music in whatever I feel at the moment

so shit

tbh, I'd say alternative, acoustic, metal, metalcore, blues and sometimes post-hardcore and death metal
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
where is sludge? where is post rock? where is hardcore? where is post-hardcore?
my needs, this poll fits not.

I use tabs for guitar since I can't hear chords for shiz.
Bass i try to play by ear.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Mostly metal/rock the last few years but I just got a tele and a fender amp so I am actually learning some clean stuff, jazz, funk and country pickn. Pretty fun, overall I guess I play all of the listed a bit.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 21, 2009,
i guess the stereotype would be "metal-core". I don't really know or care if they are real genres, but "metal-core/death-core" i guess would be my playing styles.
MY BAND!!!

Quote by floppypick
Well, I'm all out of ideas, except for one. dress up as a squirrel of the opposite sex and try to seduce it. Over the years of mating you and the squirrel will form a species or human squirrel hybrids and be able to take over the world!
just recently switched to a music major with an emphasis in jazz bass.
#DTWD
I put country and blues layers into what I'm playing.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
If you really wanted a successful poll that would please everyone here, there would be like 120 options on there because people don't like to generalize, however you don't even have rock or pop or even and electronic genres. Fail poll is hard fail.
Metal/Blues.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
When it comes to guitar, I mostly just play classical. When it comes to bass, I play punk, hardcore, funk, or whatever I want really.
Quote by Piscasis
If you really wanted a successful poll that would please everyone here, there would be like 120 options on there because people don't like to generalize, however you don't even have rock or pop or even and electronic genres. Fail poll is hard fail.

I find this to be the most accurate assessment of the inadequacies of my poll. I assumed all to be forms of rock, and if pop is what I hear on the radio ala greenday, the poll is better off without it.
Quote by SpunkNFunk
I find this to be the most accurate assessment of the inadequacies of my poll. I assumed all to be forms of rock, and if pop is what I hear on the radio ala greenday, the poll is better off without it.

Pop = Lady Gaga > You
Mixed indie, jazz and funk.
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
I voted Indie because it's kind of close, but my playing tends to be very Post-Rock inspired with bits of Jazz, Blues and Minimalism thrown in. Think Modest Mouse/GY!BE/MONO/dredg.
In spite of all the metal bashing, there sure are a lot of us metalheads.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Pop = Lady Gaga > You

How utterly insulting. If you weren't from 06 I would spam you.
Quote by BeerBlood
In spite of all the metal bashing, there sure are a lot of us metalheads.

Well it is the highest ranked one on the poll so I'd assume so.
Quote by SpunkNFunk
How utterly insulting. If you weren't from 06 I would spam you.

its insulting that you would leave pop out of the poll...
Page 1 of 4