I just recieved a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard guitar as a gift and I wanted to compare it to the other guitars i have been looking at. The Gibson to me is easily the most visually appealing but i am having trouble deciding what has the best tone. I am trying to compare the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard with any other Gibson models including the Gibson Hummingbird, Taylors (614CE, 710CE and the 814CE), or any comparible Martin. Please leave your thoughts on sound, quality, and preferences! Thank you!
Well. They're all quite different guitars. I personally greatly dislike Gibson's acoutics, but some people will swear by them. Martins tend to be "canons." They have a lot of low end, very powerful low end and balanced mids and highs. Taylors on the other hand have shimmering highs and still powerful bass, but the bass is sort of thinner if that makes sense. I just gave a huge generalization and you'd be better off to go to a shop and play them and find out for yourself but those are the general differences between the brands.

I personally prefer high end taylors over about everything. But I do really love Martins as well. I'd have trouble picking only one for the rest of my life. They really just have different applications. If I want a fingerpicking guitar I'm gonna get a taylor cutaway. If I want a strummer/songwriter guitar I'm gonna get a martin. If you're gonna pay that much for a guitar, the quality is there.

Compare Taylor 714 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpE3M-GdYtA

to a D40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 21, 2009,
taylors are the best.

see how ridiculous that sounds?

it's really your personal preference on tone. especially when you get that high up in price.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The problem is that I have played all of them and I still cannot make a desicion. In the store I am drawn a little more to the Gibsons and Taylors for the brighter sound. I dont think Ive played enough Martins however. I loved the Gibson in the store. It felt like a perfect blend of a bright sound and still had a deep enough base sound. It was like a blend of the Taylor and Martin. When I got the guitar home it was too hard to tell if I felt the same way, or at least i wasnt sure if it sounded as rich at home. It really is intended on being a guitar that I will have the rest of my life so it is just a hard desicion.
Quote by gciri
The problem is that I have played all of them and I still cannot make a desicion. In the store I am drawn a little more to the Gibsons and Taylors for the brighter sound. I dont think Ive played enough Martins however. I loved the Gibson in the store. It felt like a perfect blend of a bright sound and still had a deep enough base sound. It was like a blend of the Taylor and Martin. When I got the guitar home it was too hard to tell if I felt the same way, or at least i wasnt sure if it sounded as rich at home. It really is intended on being a guitar that I will have the rest of my life so it is just a hard desicion.

It just sounds like you need to do more testing/playing/etc. I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm trying to buy a $1000ish acoustic that will last me until I pay off my college debt and such and I'm trying to choose between a Martin D-16RGT, a Breedlove C25/SR and a used Taylor 314CE. If you aren't sure yet, just keep playing them. You seem to be really drawn to the Gibson though, maybe that's the one?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i agree, gibson seems to be what you're looking for. martin is anything but bright sounding.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I appreciate the help. Is there any specific Gibson or Taylor you like best?
personally, i have not had the luxury to play many gibsons at all. I have had the chance to play a wide range of taylors though. the few gibsons i have played were nothing to write home about. Their tone is extremely unique, and i wouldn't mind owning something that sounds exactly like a gibson should.

taylors are very nice built guitars. the price is too out of the line for me to even consider, but when it comes to the taylor series, the entire line is extremely well put.

if i could buy a taylor or a gibson, any model or whatever, i think i might choose the gibson because of it's tonal properties (or at least, the tonal properties that I'm familiar associating with the guitar). I was into bright guitars (and still kind of am) but i have my one bright guitar and that's enough for me.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
not all martins, gibsons or taylors sound the same. the gibson j-45 has plenty of bass - i play them at the store and we have one at the house. not a bright guitar at all. the songwriter and the hummingbird have not enough bass for me - they were designed to match the tones in the human voice (i always thought that sounded creepy). some of their jumbos are booming with bass, others are very bright. i really love the sound of the gibsons i like, but not of ALL gibsons.

the same with my favorite taylor, the gc8. doesn't have the brightness associated with taylor or the brightness of the gc3 in the same line. i like the sound of a lot of taylors, but not enough to own all of them. i'm always happy to hear a gc8, a gck, a 114ce or a bunch of others. i don't like the 314's sound as much, and i didn't like the gc3 at all. so again, i really like some taylors, but not all taylors.

and while i don't generally prefer the martin sound, my favorite guitar out of the hundreds i've played in my life is the martin eric clapton madagascar rosewood model, which sounds different than any guitar i've played. and there was a martin om i liked a lot.

i guess brand doesn't matter to me as much as the individual guitar. all of the "big 3" make some really impressive instruments and some i don't particularly like that much, but all 3 make some i really love to play. and there are brands outside the big 3 i like a LOT. eastman makes one of the best sounding factory guitars i've ever heard - the ac822 - and was beautiful to look at. blueridge makes some great sounding guitars. in the parlor size, my seagull is in my top 5. and to my ears, james goodall and his small shop he just closed to move to california made the best sounding and playing guitars in the universe.
taylors are pretty good man i own a 314ce and coulnt be happier i tested it to a bunch of guitars. played for 4 hours till i decided on the 314ce

the best guitar in my opinion of sick tone was the t5 through a fishman amplifier it could replicated the tone of opeth for the song benighted perfectly but unplugged it sucked X_X.

the gibsons are brighter like the other guys say but it varies from guitar to guitar. im just generalizing from the Gibson i played

in my opinion if you are going to play lots of open chords and you want to have those last strings ring out more the gibson is a good choice but if you want the bass strings to sound more bassy then get the taylor it gives me a really nice boomy sound that i totally love to death. is very nice for fingerpicking songs where you want the bass string to ring out more

for example in this song where he does alternating part between bass string and higher strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4_uoFc0Xw

and also if you want to play power chords near first 3 bass strings it gives it a really dark deep sound which is like very projective and standing out

thats my opinion on the taylor 314ce i played other might be similar or better

so at the end is personal choice and depends on your playing style. also make sure you pay attention to the string spacing on the guitar if you are going to do fingerpicking songs

some high end guitars have string really close and sometimes is kind of hard to put fingers between strings without touching the other ones
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash