I just watched 'This is it'... you know, the Michael Jackson thing! I noticed that I never heard anybody in the band make a single mistake except for the lead guitarist on her solo. The drummer, bass player and keyboard player are so tight it's uncanny.

I'm in a professional band and I play for an hour and 45 mins, 3 times a week. I'd say I make 2-3 mistakes a night, and I've played most of the songs in our set 30 times before. Granted, sometimes I get through a set without a single mistake, but on a bad night I could make 5-10 little mess-ups!

Obviously we are human and we all make mistakes. I see Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page make mistakes all the time, and if you watch Jimi's woodstock performance you can see him getting angry at rhythm section mistakes several times, he even shouts at Billy Cox at one point!

Last night our drummer ended an instrumental song a verse early and so we totally fluffed his abrupt ending. Our singer was angry about it and they had a small argument in the dressing room. So it got me thinking, how many mistakes are 'acceptable' in a live band situation..?
Last edited by Karmaface at Dec 21, 2009,
Session musicians do not make mistakes. That's why they're paid the big $$$.
Quote by Karmaface
I just watched 'This is it'... you know, the Michael Jackson thing! I noticed that I never heard anybody in the band make a single mistake except for the lead guitarist on her solo. The drummer, bass player and keyboard player are so tight it's uncanny.

I'm in a professional band and I play for an hour and 45 mins, 3 times a week. I'd say I make 2-3 mistakes a night, and I've played most of the songs in our set 30 times before. Granted, sometimes I get through a set without a single mistake, but on a bad night I could make 5-10 little mess-ups!

Obviously we are human and we all make mistakes. I see Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page make mistakes all the time, and if you watch Jimi's woodstock performance you can see him getting angry at rhythm section mistakes several times, he even shouts at Billy Cox at one point!

Last night our drummer ended an instrumental song a verse early and so we totally fluffed his abrupt ending. Our singer was angry about it and they had a small argument in the dressing room. So it got me thinking, how many mistakes are 'acceptable' in a live band situation..?

Then why are you in The Pit?
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Acceptable? That depends. How big are the mistakes? If they're as big as ending the instrumental...well, shit, you may have a problem. If they're things like...Oops, screwed up that solo by 1 note, that's no biggie. As long as the main riff is never screwed up or the singer doesn't forget the words, though, you should be ok.
As long as you don't annoy everyone around you it's still cool. Mistakes are normal, MJ just had a great backup band. Also the mistakes from Hendrix and Page came from either improvising or just having to be able to play too many songs.
It depends on if they're noticeable or not, most people who aren't musically inclined can't really tell when you make a small mistake.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX