So, guys, I'm looking to expand my playing beyond my comfort zone and hit upon the idea of learning a bit about jazz. Any jazz players got some tips for me? I know literally nothing about the genre and was wondering if anyone could give me some standards to learn, things like that. Thanks in advance, guys.
learn your major/minor scales inside and out, in all positions, and learn the different shapes and inversions of 7th chords and their different variations. the first standards i learned were darn that dream and all the things you are. almost more important than learning how to play is listening to stuff like wes montgomery, miles davis, coltrane, etc to understand the jazz feel/swing. for different comping styles start out with freddie green style chunking, and then listen to more modern piano/guitar players for new ideas. Im in my second year of learning jazz and its tough, but its fun
It would be usefull to know what you can do at this point, but I will give you some advice

First, it would be good to know what jazz you would like to play. The genre is kinda huge Other than that I would get an easy standart like 'Autumn Leaves', 'Black Orpheus' or 'Summertime'. An easy blues would do it as well. Learn to play the chords in time, and thengo for a backing track and try to improvise over it. If you don't know anything about theory I am sure this forum will be glad to help

It also helps tremendously to listen to some good jazz to get your mind into that style.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
learn your major/minor scales inside and out, in all positions, and learn the different shapes and inversions of 7th chords and their different variations. the first standards i learned were darn that dream and all the things you are. almost more important than learning how to play is listening to stuff like wes montgomery, miles davis, coltrane, etc to understand the jazz feel/swing. for different comping styles start out with freddie green style chunking, and then listen to more modern piano/guitar players for new ideas. Im in my second year of learning jazz and its tough, but its fun

Thanks a lot. I definitely wanted the challenge, too, I need something to revitalize my interest in playing, and to help me get more musically and technically proficient.
Last edited by Led Dirigible at Dec 21, 2009,