I have been looking at some pedals, such as the g1 and g2, they both seem to come with cool effects which im interested in, however they come with tone models aswell, which i have nno use for! so my question is can i just add the effects to the tone of my amp, or do i need to use a tone within the pedal? cheers
Yes you can use just the effects. I have the Zoom G2u. I will admit though, I have not used it in a longgggg time. The effects are really not that great. For the effects I wanted to play around with on the Zoom, I have just been buying the pedals separately and am much happier.

But just to answer your question, yes, you can use just the FX of the Zoom and not the models.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
cool cheers, have you tried doing this? does it ruin your tone from your amp? cheers
Nah, not really. I am assuming you are talking about the delay FX, the choruses, the reverbs. No, they don't change the tone too much, and it will definitely let you play around with a bunch of effects to see what suits you, then you can look to getting the pedals of whichever effects you like the best.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.