does anyone know of any free programs for composing that let you enter music notation and play it back.im currently using tuxguitar but i want something that lets you see the treble and bass clef at the same time for composing piano
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
i used to use power tab but i dont remember being able to edit and view the treble and bass clef simultaneously
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

You might want to take a look at Finale Notepad or possibly Sibelius.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I know of a completely free program... Musescore. Google it, it works pretty well most of the time. You do need to download a soundpack or something like that so that way the instruments sound (generally) like what they're supposed to and not just Piano (nothing against piano...but it doesn't do a distorted guitar or a double bass justice).
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Finale's great. I think there is a free version out there, with limited features. I'm not sure if its any good, as I have the full version, and thus wouldn't use the lighter versions, but the full thing is definitely awesome.
i got the free version of finale.its pretty good but you cant change the time sig or key mid piece
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

I use Sibelius 6. It isn't free. I'll probably get flamed from someone but pirating works.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Came across one a year or two ago. I think it was Anvil Studio. You could write in dots or piano roll and display/print the staves, though it was a bit fiddly and no way to combine different instruments. Otherwise it was a standard midi editor.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by clayonfire
I know of a completely free program... Musescore. Google it, it works pretty well most of the time. You do need to download a soundpack or something like that so that way the instruments sound (generally) like what they're supposed to and not just Piano (nothing against piano...but it doesn't do a distorted guitar or a double bass justice).

yeah, musescore is great!
finale notepad
it costs money now because they added a few features but i got it back when it was free and i can manage without the fancy stuff. my biggest complaint is not being able to change tempo or time sig in the middle of the piece but thats about it, it gets the work done
When i die, i wanna be burried upside down...so that anybody who doesnt like me can kiss my ass.

marilize leguana!
Quote by 12345abcd3
Can it save scores as midi files (which would make it compatible with Sibelius, Sonar etc)?

I think you can save stuff as MIDI, I'm not sure though, I can check....*goes to check* Yeah, you can save it as general MIDI, and loads of other files too.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!