Here is a list of what he needs:

1. Very nice cleans, warm and rich, not overly bright. Fender-ish

2. Good blues tone. Some blues artists he likes include: Buddy Guy, BB King, Joe Bonamassa.

3. Crunchy hard rock tone, Black Sabbath type sound. Enough gain for some lead playing ala Gary Moore.

4. Decent David Gilmour tone (pedals will be used to improve this)

5. All this, at low volumes, preferably 15 watts or switchable to less. Bedroom practice and very small gigs. Under $1500 for the whole thing.

He was considering the Rivera Venus 3. Any other suggestions?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Like i suggested in you other thread.

Marshall JTM45
Hiwatt HD504
Vox AC30/15
Laney LC/VC30 or those AOR models
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 40 watter
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Bassman
Marshall Plexi (way to loud for anything but you can always mod a gain knob for it)
Marshall 2550 (i'd rather get a clone if you want to go this way, switchable from 50 watts to 25)
Dude, the other thread was for me. This one is for a friend. Totally different styles and needs. I suggest you read the post again.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Hmm, I think it might be a little too loud. He really needs something 15 watts or less.
Egnater rebel!
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
bogner alchemist although its 40 watts with 20 watt variac mode so it might be a bit much. or perhaps one of those egnater amps with the watts control knob. the egnater line is growing quick and they now have amps with peak wattages of 15,30,50, and 100 watts and they all have some sort of attenuator on them for volume control.
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 is a pretty solid amp. I have one, gets a wide variety of tones as it has 2 channels (each with a switchable mode).

I got it for many of the reasons you listed; switchable watts, great cleans, nice crunch, pretty sweet lead tone. The only thing I have to complain about is the footswitch broke and its 109 dollars to replace, but I did get mine used.

Its well within that budget, I have it in my college room and have never had anyone complain about the noise.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I'm the friend Mr. Robino was talking about

I've looked into the Rebel series, but I'm conserned because I've heard that the wattage knob only controls the amount of compression at lower volumes and not the actual volume.

I am still considering it though. The Mesa Express sounds nice and I have tried it but the voicing isn't correct for the genres I play.

I'm afraid any of the Marshalls recommended are far too loud and expensive. My absolute limit is 1500 with the cab included in that cost.

So far, the Rebel or the Rivera Venus 3 are my best bets, possibly the Night Train, but I'm looking forward to more suggestions.

Are there any other nice amps with switchable wattages/attenuators?
Any more suggestions?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay