Can you put a humbucker into a single coil pickup position on a strat body? I might build my own guitar and would like an Alder body with a HSS set up (H in the bridge).

Is this possible or should I keep looking for a pre-made HSS alder body?

Thanks
Yes it is possible. I know they make some humbuckers that are the same size as single coils or you could always "manipulate" the body to make a standard one fit.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
or use a router to make the H hole bigger before insertion...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Get yerself some SD hot rails or something like that.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
If its a strat with a pickguard, you probably just have to cut a little bit off the pickguard, the body probably already has enough room for the humbucker.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
many/most strats are routed for at least HSS, assuming it has a pickguard. something like this:

of course a google search shows that a lot arent, so check before you buy something. of course if you are looking at one that isnt routed for HSS, you can either route it yourself or get some kind of stacked/mini humbucker.