Never tried an OCD, but someone offered to trade me one straight across for my OD-808.

I love my OD-808, but I've heard the OCDs are awesome, so what are the main differences here? I'll mainly be using it as a boost to tighten up my amps, but I was playing with a bunch of my pedals last night and actually found that the 808 is pretty cool as a "distortion" pedal and I could get a pretty cool dirty blues out of it, but I'm thinking the OCD might be able to do better at that?

Thoughts? Opinions? Etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm not a huge fan of the 808, but I absolutely hated the OCD. It sounded really processed and flat to me.
It will certainly tighten up your amp, but if you like the 808, stick with it.
As somebody who owned both:

The 808 is Tubescreamery (obviously).
The OCD is Marshally.
The OCD has about 2x the gain of the 808.

I've never been able to coax anything remotely bluesy out of the OCD, even at very low Gain settings. It just wants to take off and crunch. Maybe I'm just hopeless at dialing it in, but that's my experience with it.

I'm actually trying to trade Rutch mine for a TS9 to mod to original 808 specs.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm actually trying to trade Rutch mine for a TS9 to mod to original 808 specs.

Dang I just sold a TS-9 on Saturday. I wouldve traded you plus cash :'(

The OCD really has that much gain? I had the gain and volume maxed on the 808 last night and it had jut as much gain as my Marshall Guv'nor with the gain at max, just more smooth. If the OCD has twice that... It should be able to do modern metal by itself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll give you a clip of the JCM on the Low input with the OCD maxed on 18V power. Gimme a minute.

****, I uninstalled Audacity. Make it 10 minutes.

Just about done. I accidentally effed up the file after it was done so I had to rerecord it.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm not sure how tight an OCD will make your sound. It adds some boominess and is really more of an amp in a box kind of overdrive pedal than something that you really use to boost. at least that has been my own impression of it.
I owned an OD808 and have the Dano Drive pedal (I have played the OCD) so while not the best comparison I do have experience with both pedals. I thought the OD808 was worthless as a boost, not very much volume and it colored the tone in a bad way. That said I did love it on the clean channel, it really nailed the SRV hot blues tones. The OCD is a completely different monster, it can do low gain bluesy stuff but you do need to back off the volume knob as to get it. It can work as a boost, but imo thats not using it to its full capabilities. I think it sounds awesome on its own or stacked with a clean boost pedal.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
The OCD is more of a stand alone overdrive, the 808 would be a better choice for tightening, why not just try both and compare and see what you like.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Clips shortly. All may laugh at my shitty playing. Hooray!

And by shortly I mean HAH! No clips for you!

(uploading now)

This has pretty much been covered but...

In my opinion the OD808 is best used as a boost where as the OCD is more of a standalone drive. Im not a huge fan of the OD808s drive but as a boost its superb. The OCDs drive on the other hand is excellent.
Sig What?
Quote by JoePerry4life
The OCD is more of a stand alone overdrive, the 808 would be a better choice for tightening, why not just try both and compare and see what you like.

No one carries the OCD around here, I'd be trading with a guy in another state

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll be sticking with the OD-808, but I might pick up an OCD as my "distortion" instead of using my Marshall pedal cause it's super noisy
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/bubb_tubbs/music/all/play754581 for clips

Most of those songs I've never played before or didn't bother properly learning. This was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing but I hope my ham-fisted attempt worked out decently.

These were played through the JCM 800 through the Low input with the strat tuned to Eb. Alnico IIs would have been awful for demonstrating most of the songs on here so the Gibson sat this one out, but as a result the noise from the single coils caused a lot of recording problems.

Nothing a good ROCK BAND MIC can't fix though!

Quote by bubb_tubbs
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/bubb_tubbs/music/all/play754581 for clips

Most of those songs I've never played before or didn't bother properly learning. This was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing but I hope my ham-fisted attempt worked out decently.

These were played through the JCM 800 through the Low input with the strat tuned to Eb. Alnico IIs would have been awful for demonstrating most of the songs on here so the Gibson sat this one out, but as a result the noise from the single coils caused a lot of recording problems.

Nothing a good ROCK BAND MIC can't fix though!

Man that actually sounds pretty sweet. Definitely would be a great replacement for my Guv'nor, think the 808 does the boosting a bit better though. We'll see how cheap I can find one now
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The 808 has the typical mid hump and sucks out some of the bass from your tone. Also typical with TS's and the SD-1. Great for boosting, not that great for a pushed OD/blues setting.

The OCD is thicker sounding with more gain in reserve. It is also warmer sounding and works well as a stand alone overdrive & distortion pedal. With the gain maxed a convincing pushed Marshall tone can be had. It works great as a boost as well, adding some hair and a bit of color to your tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
GC's carry the OCD
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
GC's carry the OCD

Not mine

They have the Fulldrive, but I asked them one time and they said the OCD is special order only.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ That's interesting since Long and McQuade carry all Fulltone, Voodoo Labs and a few Empress pedals.

At least, the Toronto ones do.

If you can locate an old 80s SD-1 or any TS9/OD9 I'd be willing to trade you plus some cash (depending on which pedal). I've read the 808s are all board-mounted pots and jacks now, which really doesn't appeal to me.

Went to GC today to try out the Line 6 M13 again... It seems they do carry the OCD now, so I tried it out.

I actually really liked the low gain, but the higher I turned up the gain, the muddier it got It worked well as a boost as well, I actually really liked i there. But as far as it having twice the gain of my OD-808, I actually though my 808 had more gain. Weird.

I'll have to check one out another time, it may have been the PRS I was using that made it sound muddy... which really doesn't make sense to me cause it sounded great when it was just boosted on a 6505+ head. I dunno, I was kinda confused
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've tried both the Maxon OD-808 and OCD through my Laney...and I echo most of what bubbs said.

OCD, to me, had a lot more gain than the 808. The 808 worked better as a boost for me...but if I had the choice I would get the OCD since I'd rather have a totally new voicing on my clean channel than a small boost.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by MatrixClaw
Went to GC today to try out the Line 6 M13 again... It seems they do carry the OCD now, so I tried it out.

I actually really liked the low gain, but the higher I turned up the gain, the muddier it got It worked well as a boost as well, I actually really liked i there. But as far as it having twice the gain of my OD-808, I actually though my 808 had more gain. Weird.

I'll have to check one out another time, it may have been the PRS I was using that made it sound muddy... which really doesn't make sense to me cause it sounded great when it was just boosted on a 6505+ head. I dunno, I was kinda confused

Ja, zat muddiness is typical on the 9v mode or with batteries.

Try zee OCD in the 18v mode, it sounds like a whole different pedal then. It sound more open, chimmier, sparkling and doesn't have that muddy sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

Try zee OCD in the 18v mode, it sounds like a whole different pedal then. It sound more open, chimmier, sparkling and doesn't have that muddy sound.

Interesting, they were running it on batteries, I didn't even know it could run 18v

I tried the OD-808 through my 6505+ today. I actually like the amp better without it. The OCD at GC sounded better as a boost, but I was playing it through the 6505 cab, so I dunno if maybe it's just my Recto cab that is making it sound funny. I have the tone on 0 on the 808 and it still makes the amp super bright

The 808 sounds gorgeous through my Duncan combo though. I don't get it. It also has A LOT more gain through the Duncan. So confused.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ragingkitty

Yeah, my demo was done with 18V.

I always found my OCD V4 to be particularly useless as a boost. Keep in mind that I was comparing it to a Bad Monkey.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Hey MC i just picked up a OD808 today. My take is its a much better boot pedal imo. The OCD is a nice texture and gain beast. but the od808 does a much better job of not "coloring" my tone. and i have no idea how you got your od808 to have more gain than the OCD.... The OCD does wonders for the rh2 channel on the mark IV
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Yeah, the OCD does colour your tone quite a bit. It's not exactly something I'd just for a clean boost. That said I've always preferred my pedals to add something to my tone. I realised it does get bright easily.

Try it in 18V again. Even if you don't like it, the sound difference is so massive, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

I liaks the 18v OCD much more over the 9v, which can sound muffled and does get muddy at high volumes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'll have to go to GC again and try the 6505+ on a Mesa cab with the OCD. I want to know if it's my cab that make the pedals react differently or the guitar. If I come away with the same opinion with the OCD as a boost again... I'll get one of those and ditch the 808

Plus, I found a guitar I want there for super cheap and I want to see what they'll give me on a trade in
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
What'd you think of the M13 when you tried it? I've often considered it as an alternative to lugging around a 40 pound pedalboard everywhere, but i'm concerned about the versatility.
Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
I thought the OCD V4 Was Bland..........I Like the MI Audio Blues Pro Alot More......Keep the 808.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'll have to go to GC again and try the 6505+ on a Mesa cab with the OCD. I want to know if it's my cab that make the pedals react differently or the guitar. If I come away with the same opinion with the OCD as a boost again... I'll get one of those and ditch the 808

Plus, I found a guitar I want there for super cheap and I want to see what they'll give me on a trade in

You might want to bring me with you if you want a good trade in price
Quote by thrasher.

that or bring in a jcm800. the holy grail of guitar center lololol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by thrasher.

I dont understand....
Quote by mattocaster99
What'd you think of the M13 when you tried it? I've often considered it as an alternative to lugging around a 40 pound pedalboard everywhere, but i'm concerned about the versatility.

I really liked the M13. That thing was cool as hell. I didn't even realize it had a built in looper until I went to try it either

I'm still debating whether I want to get the M13 or just get a G-Major though, but the G-Major is impossible to try out before I buy it. Hmmm....

Quote by unet
I dont understand....

He traded a JCM800 to GC for a Mesa Road King II head. Guitar Center is stupid
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

He traded a JCM800 to GC for a Mesa Road King II head. Guitar Center is stupid

Wait....i think i remember that now!!

LOLS let's hope you get that trade...I like the trade much more than what you have now
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
LOLS let's hope you get that trade...I like the trade much more than what you have now

Guitar Center said they won't take trade-ins on custom guitars (which rules out me trading my Warmoth in). Well then I guess they aren't getting my money!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 27, 2009,