Everyone who plays guitar is familiar with palm muting the strings. But in my experience, it doesn't work so well on the bass. Have any other bass players ever extended their pinky towards the bridge to mute a single string?

Maybe I'm just weird.

edit: I play finger style when I'm using this technique.
Last edited by ChrisMill5 at Dec 22, 2009,
When I'm play finger style I can kinda play with my side of my hand resting on the strings and then plucking the strings from underneath.
I find it easy enough to mute with a pick though, just the same as guitar.

When I'm tapping I tie a sock to the round the top of the neck to mute the strings, but that's only good if you want to keep the strings muted all the time .
you can put a piece of foam under the strings. what i do it go to a black lady hair store and buy some hair bands and put them on the neck.
I had to try the pinky thing as soon as I read this post but I could not find a way to make it musically useful for me; I was playing finger style, not pick. I can't say I have heard anyone else use that with finger style either. Chris that leaves the field wide open for you to perfect the technique and make your mark on music history. Go for it!
I do sometimes, but yeah, not many widely-known bassists do it that I know of, but mostly because bass isn't appreciated enough by a lot of musicians to do anything funky with it. how 'bout we change that?
When I want a 1/16 palm mute pattern on any of my strings, I lay my ring finger by the bridge, muting the string, and play the note with my index and middle fingers. It makes for a somewhat muted sound, but still you can define the note.
Do you mean muting as in making the other strings silent, or palm muting to make that type of sound? If the former, I mute the strings with my fretting hand, if the latter, I do the same as on guitar and it works pretty well.
Quote by loudog93
you can put a piece of foam under the strings. what i do it go to a black lady hair store and buy some hair bands and put them on the neck.

I've heard about the foam and I've seen a few Wooten videos where he ties the hair band around the neck. The reason I don't use the foam is that sometimes I have to differentiate between muted and unmuted strings in the same song.
I just use my 3rd finger to mute the string, by just resting it on there enough to mute the sound but not destroy it.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by 6stringbassist
I just use my 3rd finger to mute the string, by just resting it on there enough to mute the sound but not destroy it.

Exactly like I do it
Sometimes I mute open strings with my fretting hand, sort of like a left-hand palm muting. I guess it might be possible, though awkward to do that to a fretted note.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
use my left hand and slide around, doing the super technical 3 finger fretting. easy and sounds good to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom