Page 1 of 3
http://talentdevelop.com/articles/Page31.html

It has been long believed that creative people tend to be more depressed. Why is that? No reason is known for certain, but there are a number of possibilities...

They might feel isolated from everybody else because of their different ideas and thoughts. They also might think more, meaning that they think of more than the "surface". They can find the negative in anything.

Some famous and brilliant people with depression were Nick Drake, Beethovan, Dostoyevsky, Sir Isaac Newton, and Michelangelo.

So what do you think? Is there a connection?

Also are you or have you ever been depressed? I mean genuine depression such manic-depression or major depression disorders, not just stress and hormones. How did you resolve it? Did/do you have any therapy or medication? And more importantly how has this effected your creativity and logic?
I've always thought that because I am intelligent, it makes me sadder than most people. I have friends that see a butterfly and their day is the best day of their lives after that. It makes me wish I was stupid.

BENJEDIT: Having said that, I have been diagnosed with bipolar. In the right mood, a butterfly will have me dancing around shouting happiness at people for an hour or so.
Interestingly, bipolar is meant to make you more creative, coupled with my insomnia it gives me an extra six or so hours to BE creative. One would think I am a super-artist because of this, but I hugely lack focus. I'll feel like painting, then a few minutes later i'll draw a panel of a comic, then play three and a half songs on guitar... It is agonisingly sluggish to ever get anything finished.

Its interesting what you said about artists finding sadness in anything. Being creative is a gift, but a huge burden also. Comedians and artists and intellectuals cant just look at something and take it at face value. It is hyper-analysed, or worse, the negative, different and odd sticks out like a sore thumb. I believe that is why awesomely intelligent, creative people SUCK at school. I couldnt just accept what I was learning. I had to know, WHY am I learning algebra when you could be teaching me how to keep an eye out for con artists? Teach me how to change a car tyre instead of how to write an essay!

I always try to build to a point, but I dont think i have one this time... Just random, unorganised mind vomiting today.

Something tells me that intelligent people are hardwired for failure, because everything is too boring and they cant find motivation.
...In my opinion.
Last edited by Benjibum2nd at Dec 21, 2009,
I think there is. Cool idea man. Sucks for us, but cool theory.

Thinking to much depresses me, and makes me wish I was dumb as well.
Last edited by WinterEagle5 at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Benjibum2nd
I've always thought that because I am intelligent, it makes me sadder than most people. I have friends that see a butterfly and their day is the best day of their lives after that. It makes me wish I was stupid.

I can actually agree, even though in reality im just a huge pseudo-intellectual.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I can actually agree, even though in reality im just a huge pseudo-intellectual.

same O_o weird.
Perhaps certain personality types are more inclined to be both intelligent and depressed. For example, a quiet, curious and studious person may be a perfectionist. Their introversion causes social isolation, and they occupy their time with learning pursuits. Perfectionism contributes to creating great things, and also mental anguish. I think that may be it.
Quote by Benjibum2nd

What the hell? Maybe they just see such a fragile insignificant creature drifting on air currents fluttering it's magnificently decorated wings.

Maybe they see the essence of Being. Maybe they see the absurdity of the universe being challenged, maybe it's inspirational, it gives hope, it gives faith, etc,etc.

I think (in modern times anyways) one of the main reasons why "intellectuals" tend to be "downers" is because they realize there's more to life than materialism and sex, but we are living in a society that bombards us with these things everyday, and to try and live any other way is extremely difficult.

And I think when people say the word "stupid" they mean "ignorant", but correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by technicolour at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by WinterEagle5
same O_o weird.

There isn't really anything thing weird about pretending to know everything, everybody does it.
well a majority of the population are not artists so therefor several people do not respect art. I went into a deep depression earlier this year because I felt that I had nothing in common with anyone. Artists need to have other artists around them because their brains function differently.
theres a theory that depression is acctualy beneficial thats why it has stayed with humans through evolution or something like that
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Dec 21, 2009,
I can find the negative side of anything, but that doesn't make me a creative genius.

One thing I have noticed is that there are more negative songs than positive ones. There are musical genres that are almost entirely dedicated to certain negative feelings.
I think it's true. I kinda hate being creative and clever, i think way to deeply into anything. The smallest thing is a huge deal to me. I wish i could just stop giving a shit about stuff tbh. :/
Quote by sashki
I can find the negative side of anything, but that doesn't make me a creative genius.

Thank you for bringing this up. I have the feeling that half of the people that are going to agree with me aren't creative at all.

Some people are just naturally pessimistic without being an artist. I am one of those people.
Quote by Todd Hart
I think it's true. I kinda hate being creative and clever, i think way to deeply into anything. The smallest thing is a huge deal to me. I wish i could just stop giving a shit about stuff tbh. :/

i have the same issue, i drown out my thoughts with music
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by JacobTheMe
There isn't really anything thing weird about pretending to know everything, everybody does it.

you don't know me, but I love your posts. =P
i think its true as buddyboombotz said ignorance is bliss but us songwriters dont have ignorance...
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Benjibum2nd

You don't need to be "stupid" to appreciate small things like that. You just need to have a positive attitude and be ready to enjoy everything in life, even the little things. People who choose to do that are, in my opinion, quite smart.
XIAOXI
“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
-Horace Walpole

I took an acting class last year at college and my professor gave us a little monologue about how artists (including actors, painters, musicians, etc.) feel emotions more deeply than "normal" people.
Quote by technicolour
What the hell? Maybe they just see such a fragile insignificant creature drifting on air currents fluttering it's magnificently decorated wings.

Maybe they see the essence of Being. Maybe they see the absurdity of the universe being challenged, maybe it's inspirational, it gives hope, it gives faith, etc,etc.

I think (in modern times anyways) one of the main reasons why "intellectuals" tend to be "downers" is because they realize there's more to life than materialism and sex, but we are living in a society that bombards us with these things everyday, and to try and live any other way is extremely difficult.

And I think when people say the word "stupid" they mean "ignorant", but correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, they see a butterfly and squeal and then run off to live their typo-filled, everything-accepting lives.
By stupid I mean stupid.
...In my opinion.
Would you rather be stupid and happy or intelligent and miserable?
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Dec 21, 2009,
So you guys would rather give up any creative/extra-ordinary potential you have in order to feel more blissful? REALLY?

I've had like 3 anxiety attacks in the past 2 months, and I'd still rather contemplate the universe than not.
It's harder to write about being happy.

Things that affect artists such as social/life issues are almost always bad/depressing.

I've been depressed and all you can do is find just one thing that you can hold on to tightly and focus on that. Put all your essence and being into that thing and you give yourself a reason which is absolutely necessary.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Quote by technicolour
So you guys would rather give up any creative/extra-ordinary potential you have in order to feel more blissful? REALLY?

I've had like 3 anxiety attacks in the past 2 months, and I'd still rather contemplate the universe than not.

With this guy. I've had crippling bouts of depression, but in my own way I feel better than my retarded brethren.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Creativity isn't necessarily the defining feature that causes the common depression or pessimism that you're talking about. It tends to be any form of outlook that varies from what people, the government and the media see as the "norm" for viewing the world, and that's where it originates. Like someone's already said, you need minds around you that think alike, or you'll find no output for your thoughts. My problem, for instance, is that I tend to rationalise everything, to the point where emotion has very little sway on my decisions. This means I can generally avoid negative, depressive feelings by rationalising where they are coming from, but then again it also means that I seem to act differently to those around, which in a way kind of creates an isolation.

If I knew people that thought the same it might be fine, but whenever I try to talk about my views on various matters with people, I tend to get looks of confusion, or it's attributed to "being weird".

Still, I said it to a friend the other day: you can't get annoyed at people, because you expect it from them. Things, fine. Get annoyed at things. Like your train being delayed, or the weather. But there's a precedent for people, and if you find yourself being surprised at how people act, you're not paying attention.

And I got one of the aforementioned "wut" looks.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by AlterEdge
It's harder to write about being happy.

Things that affect artists such as social/life issues are almost always bad/depressing.

I've been depressed and all you can do is find just one thing that you can hold on to tightly and focus on that. Put all your essence and being into that thing and you give yourself a reason which is absolutely necessary.

I imagine we're all trying to achieve some form of happiness, or at least a non-negative steady state. Whenever something bad happens, the artist tries to identify and express through their chosen medium whatever it is that is making them sad. By doing this they are releasing anger/sadness/tension/stress, and trying to get their mood back into the "postive" region. Other people do it by crying or punching walls.

AND NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE IGNORANT AND STUPID POINT OF VIEW:
Lol, everyone in this thread is all like "omg look at me I'm so creative and I cry regularly"
Last edited by sashki at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Von.
With this guy. I've had crippling bouts of depression, but in my own way I feel better than my retarded brethren.

Hahaha I love this for some reason.

Contract bipolar somehow. You can stop taking your meds and experience the best and worst of both worlds (Y)
...In my opinion.
I'm definitely sure that being "creative" doesn't make you depressed. Its the way you interpret the world around you. Sure you can see what everything is for what it is. And a lot of the times it could be negative. But if you really were an "intellectual" or "creative" im sure you could figure a way to not focus so hard on the negative aspects of life. Maybe that's why there are artists.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
I've been described as a, "tortured artist" before. I guess I just see things differently than most people. I've also been diagnosed with just about every mental disorder from anxiety to schizophrenia (I'm not schizophrenic though, that doctor was nuts), but it all seems the same to me. I can't really explain any of it...
I think contemplating the wider world probably will make you depressed.
It's a bit like the total perspective vortex, simply showing you how tiny and insignificant you really are.
i think art is used as a coping mechanism to express what you're feeling (especialy music)
Quote by MightyAl
I think contemplating the wider world probably will make you depressed.
It's a bit like the total perspective vortex, simply showing you how tiny and insignificant you really are.

You'd be surprised how much potential you have. You do have the power to affect other people powerfully, in negative and positive ways, and sometimes it requires very little to do so.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Would you rather be stupid and happy or intelligent and miserable?

Rage Against The Machine tells me to be intelligent and miserable.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by technicolour
You'd be surprised how much potential you have. You do have the power to affect other people powerfully, in negative and positive ways, and sometimes it requires very little to do so.

Of course I can affect people negatively. I'm a tremendous arsehole, and it's my one true talent.
Quote by mattman93
Rage Against The Machine tells me to be intelligent and miserable.

Rage Against The Machine tells you to feel intelligent and liberated. You can relish your new-found perspective or be driven insane by it, it depends on your strength of character.
Quote by MightyAl
Of course I can affect people negatively. I'm a tremendous arsehole, and it's my one true talent.

But you could be a true gentleman as well
Quote by technicolour
But you could be a true gentleman as well

I doubt it. I can't get the hang of wearing a monocle, and I always manage to get my watch-fob tangled in my weskit buttons.
Page 1 of 3