I'm trying to approach chords and melodies like Eric Johnson (I'm a completely obsessed fan!), and I know that he works his melodies into his chords, rather than seeing a I-IV-V all the time, for example.

However, I gave it a try for the first time, and while I didn't expect to do very well trying for the first time, I thought I'd come up with at least something, which I didn't.

Would writing a very basic melody on manuscript while I'm away from my guitar, such as at work, be a useful place to start?
I'm thinking that I could then experiment with intervals around the melody, and then use the same melody and come up with something completely different (such as deciding which notes will be major/minor sounding, then reversing it, and experimentation etc).

Also, if this is a good thing to do, is it best to start diatonically? Or should I keep it totally open and not have any parameter in that sense?

If there is anything that anybody can suggets as a better method, or building on my idea if it is any good, I would really appreciate the help

Thanks!
Tom.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Eric johnson usually stacks melody's through chord voicings.

It's quite advanced stuff.

It's best to first learn to make melodies diatonically. After that you can pick up a lesson or book on harmony and/or advanced harmony to learn more.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by sTarbuck
I'm trying to approach chords and melodies like Eric Johnson (I'm a completely obsessed fan!), and I know that he works his melodies into his chords, rather than seeing a I-IV-V all the time, for example.

However, I gave it a try for the first time, and while I didn't expect to do very well trying for the first time, I thought I'd come up with at least something, which I didn't.

Would writing a very basic melody on manuscript while I'm away from my guitar, such as at work, be a useful place to start?
I'm thinking that I could then experiment with intervals around the melody, and then use the same melody and come up with something completely different (such as deciding which notes will be major/minor sounding, then reversing it, and experimentation etc).

Also, if this is a good thing to do, is it best to start diatonically? Or should I keep it totally open and not have any parameter in that sense?

If there is anything that anybody can suggets as a better method, or building on my idea if it is any good, I would really appreciate the help

Thanks!
Tom.

have you tried learning some of his music to get an idea of what hes doing?
shred is gaudy music
This was one of the most important lessons I learned throughout my self-taught musical odyssey thus far: If you wish to be a Roman, live in Rome and be as the Romans are.

Meh, my mind isn't feeling terribly inventive right now so I'm not much satisfied with the quote, but point being... if you want to play like EJ, be like EJ. Surround yourself in his work, study his playing. Wear his skin for a while.

Then you shed it and shock yourself with new-found beauty and color.

You won't be EJ anymore, you will be you again, but you'll have inherited a great deal from your time masquerading in his shoes.

Or, in your case, you'll have specifically learned a great deal about harmony and the way he composes his music.
Last edited by freakstylez at Dec 21, 2009,