I have a line 6 spider 3 and hate it so atm im saving up for a jcm 800.
I play a lot of metallia type stuff and am looking for that kind of sound. My options are a combo or amp head and 2 x 12 cab, which should i get and what is the differemce between a 2210 and 2205.
Also i need 2 channels if possible: clean and OD.

Thanks
2203 is 100 watt single channel.
2204 is 50 watt single channel.
2205 is 100 watt dual channel.
2210 is 50 watt dual channel.

The single channels have less circuitry so they sound a bit better, but the dual channels have channel switching. I'd personally go for the single channel since you can control OD with your volume knob.

Also, you'll need an OD/distortion to get it into Metallica territory. On their first 2 albums, both of 'tallica's guitarists used Plexi's/800's, so it can be done. James used a Tubescreamer for that extra kick I believe.

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by EMGPWNS
Also, you'll need an OD/distortion to get it into Metallica territory..

This, or you could just buy a higher gain amp like JCM 900 so you don't have to fiddle with pedals as much. 900's were introduced because people wanted more gain on tap.

I'd go with a single channel aswell because they really do sound a bit better, and since there isn't seperate EQ for both channels, your cleans might not sound great when you footswitch from overdrive.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by EMGPWNS
2203 is 100 watt single channel.
2204 is 50 watt single channel.
2205 is 100 watt dual channel.
2210 is 50 watt dual channel.

The single channels have less circuitry so they sound a bit better, but the dual channels have channel switching. I'd personally go for the single channel since you can control OD with your volume knob.

Also, you'll need an OD/distortion to get it into Metallica territory. On their first 2 albums, both of 'tallica's guitarists used Plexi's/800's, so it can be done. James used a Tubescreamer for that extra kick I believe.

No. I think the 2204/03 models sound better for more classic rock type sounds. 05 and 10 sound better at higher gain.

I would recommend the 05 or 10 for TS or even a 900 SLX or 2000 DSL.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The 2205 and 2210 have a crunchier "higher gain" tone because they have clipping diodes in the path, similar to a JCM900.

Have you played a JCM800, threadstarter? While they may have used Marshalls on their early records, you may not find it measuring up to what you want. See if a JCM800 is really your thing, first.
TS, which Metallica album sound would you like most? Metallica Gear is one thing I specialize in. Perhaps I can give you direction
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by forsaknazrael
The 2205 and 2210 have a crunchier "higher gain" tone because they have clipping diodes in the path, similar to a JCM900.

Have you played a JCM800, threadstarter? While they may have used Marshalls on their early records, you may not find it measuring up to what you want. See if a JCM800 is really your thing, first.

The Marshalls they used were probably modded for higher gain anyways aswell.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
The Marshalls they used were probably modded for higher gain anyways aswell.

They only used Marshalls on the first two albums.

For Kill 'Em AllIn fact, James had a Jose Arrendondo modified Marshall 100 watt SLP head was used to record his parts. Kirk used this amp as well.

"When I was doing that guitar solo, I was using James' Marshall. That was the Marshall-it had been hot rodded by some L.A. guy, the same guy who hot rodded Eddie Van Halen's Marshalls [Jose Arrendondo-MJF]-and when it came time to do my guitar leads, I just plugged into that...I had my trusy old Ibanez Tube Screamer, my trusty wah pedal, and my black Gibson Flying V that I used on the first four albums-it was either a '74 or a '78, I'm not sure." -Kirk Hammett, Guitar World, March 2002

By the time of Ride the Lightning, Kirk had his own 100 Watt Marshall Head (2203). He used both the Boss and the Tubescreamer, and he also had a TC Electronics EQ.

After this point, he switched to Mesa Boogies.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6