I am a big fan of Blink-182, and I want to get a new guitar that is a Tom Delonge Model. So should I get the Tom Delonge Fender Stratocaster, or the Tom Delonge Epiphone ES-333 Semi-Hollow Body?
Thanks UG,
Randy
--Blink-182 is back--
R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
---> Llama's are cool.
Stay (Sic)

all depends on what you prefer and what style you want to play. just keep in mind (in my opinion) you're better representing an artist by playing their music well, not what you play it on.

if you really want a signature model then try both out. the semi-hollow should be a good deal more versatile than the one pickup strat, and not nearly so harsh. i'd pick out a nice guitar you could play everything you want on, and then learn some of his stuff if you really want to. just my $0.02.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
^
The 333 only has 1 pickup too.

TS, the guitars have completely different feels to them so you're better off trying a Strat and an ES-333 (or ES-335) to get a feel of which you prefer.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
ah, the 335 does only have one pickup. anyway, besides that part of my post i still stand by the rest. i wouldn't jump on a signature model just because it's a signature model. get the guitar that feels best and fits your needs the best. if that happens to be that signature model then go for it
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
They are quite different. The 333 would sound smoother, and the strat more "cutting". Also, surprisingly, the 333 costs less than a (used) signature strat.

I personally, despite being a strat fan, would take the Epiphone ES-333. The strat seems like a one-trick pony. I'd expect the epiphone to sound smoother and rounder, while retaining the edge of his signature sound. It's a voice more applicable in several situations.

But that's just my opinion.
I would get a standard version of an es or strat if I were you. In my opinion, sig models feel like someone elses guitar (cuz it is...). Also, if you get the ES, that missing pickup is really going to hinder the versatility of it.

Either way, try them and see which feels best to you and go from there.
EDIT - also, what amp and current guitar do you have?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
id get the strat just because strats generally feel so much better than epiphones to me. I also like the tone from when he used strats better than the newer tones so thats another reason. But thats just me.

I think if you are gonna play mostly distortion the strat would be better, but i think the epi would handle cleans alot better if you wanna play more clean stuff.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
The epi was actualy designed for him to play angels and airwaves stuff, the strat will give you a more blink 182 tone, you can use the epi for that to, it more versitile
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Winman9999
The epi was actualy designed for him to play angels and airwaves stuff, the strat will give you a more blink 182 tone, you can use the epi for that to, it more versitile

No, it was more he just switched companies.

TS, get the strat. It'll get you closer to Tom's tone in Blink than the ES will.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think that the 333 has a much cleaner sound. in the recordings tom used gibson les pauls to record, not any form of a strat. in my opinion the 333 sounds more blink 182-ish than the strat.
Quote by shadesofanger
Wait...Fat is a trend? I am soooooo getting into this trend now.

BLINK 182=EPIC WIN

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by Skynyrd890
I would get a standard version of an es or strat if I were you. In my opinion, sig models feel like someone elses guitar (cuz it is...). Also, if you get the ES, that missing pickup is really going to hinder the versatility of it.

Either way, try them and see which feels best to you and go from there.
EDIT - also, what amp and current guitar do you have?

Right now I am playing on a Marshall Haze 15 Fullstack, and I am using a Standard Fender Strat. If I do get the TD Strat, I will probably sell the strat I have right now.
--Blink-182 is back--
R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
---> Llama's are cool.
Stay (Sic)

If live sound is anything to go by, then everything pre-untitled is done on a strat, with the 333 used for their last album. However, I remember an interview a while back about how Tom used a Gibson Les Paul (vintage, no less) on "All the small things." I think a lot of the stuff you hear on the past records is gibson anyways.

You have to try each out through your own rig, though. Each will sound different, and you have to decide which one plays best through YOUR amp. It's no use having the "better guitar" if it sounds like shit through your amp.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
If you have a strat, go for the hollow body imo. That way you can do both
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
The strat. If it were the gibson I'd definatley get that, it's one of the hottest guitars I've ever seen. Especially in whitee *droool*.

The strat is actually a really cool guitar. And you could always stick a single coil in the neck for nicer clean tones, kind like a old shredder type guitar.

check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcR9mKKk2UE

But you should remember the squier's come with a duncan detonator(I think this is what they call it) and not an invader.

Quote by oneblackened
No, it was more he just switched companies.

TS, get the strat. It'll get you closer to Tom's tone in Blink than the ES will.

+1, he had the gibson before blink split.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Dec 22, 2009,
I wanted to know the answer to the exact same question you did. In the end I just bought a MIM Fender Strat and put a Seymour Duncan Invader in it. It's way more versatile this way. Trust me, if you ever want to play anything other than Blink, you will want a different pickup.
That being said, if you want Tom's Live sound go for the Strat. If you want his studio sound go for the Epiphone.
In the studio Tom actually used a Gibson Les Paul to record all of his guitar parts in pretty much every song on every album. The only non LP song i can think of right off the top of my head is "Stay Together For The Kids" he used a regular single coil Strat set in the middle pickup position for the verses. Im not quite sure what he used on Cheshire Cat though.
Last edited by jdrier21 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by jdrier21
I wanted to know the answer to the exact same question you did. In the end I just bought a MIM Fender Strat and put a Seymour Duncan Invader in it. It's way more versatile this way. Trust me, if you ever want to play anything other than Blink, you will want a different pickup.
That being said, if you want Tom's Live sound go for the Strat. If you want his studio sound go for the Epiphone.
In the studio Tom actually used a Gibson Les Paul to record all of his guitar parts in pretty much every song on every album. The only non LP song i can think of right off the top of my head is "Stay Together For The Kids" he used a regular single coil Strat set in the middle pickup position for the verses. Im not quite sure what he used on Cheshire Cat though.

I think in the early blink recordings Tom used a strat with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. In the Dammit music video, you can see him play a white strat with the X2N in it.
It's probably already been said, but the strat will be more versatile with more pick-ups and will be less noticable as a signature which would look better for you imo. The Semi to me, would seem a little more for the melodic blink-182 whereas the strat well, can be used for any and more. Just try the strat and the epi, I'd go for the strat.
My name is Jack.
try and find a nice tom delonge strat, theyre fun guitars! not very versatile, but thats what owning multiple guitars is for i'd love one in any color they all look awesome

Ive never played the epiphone signature, but I did put an invader in my strat because of him. Through my JCM the Invader like completely nails his earlier sound.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Cheapshot
I think in the early blink recordings Tom used a strat with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. In the Dammit music video, you can see him play a white strat with the X2N in it.

True. He did but I haven't confirmed if he actually recorded with that guitar or not. My guess is yes cuz his recordings are very trebley but Im not 100% sure seeing as he also used a LP at that time. its in the music video for "Josie".
Last edited by jdrier21 at Dec 22, 2009,