So, I have an Ibanez ART300 and am using D'Addario Lite (.10-.42) strings. I've always jst dropped my guitar off at the local music shop to have the strings replacd, intonation adjusted, and fretboard cleaned. But now I've moved into a rural area and have to do it all myself. So: when cutting off the excess string, what do I use? Wire cutters or what?
I use my teeth because I'm brootal but ya wire cutters work too.
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
a samurai sword.

or

you could also use pliers, I have a pair of needlenose pliers that have a wirecutter than in near the hinge, I think most do.
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
also, is it not a good idea to use the same set of strings for 6 months?
lol kidding, i know it isn't.
**** no! Don't listen to them, removing them with cutters etc. will most likely cause damage on your guitar.
You have to rub the string between your fingers until it breaks in two.
Not many people know this but this is actually what they do at the guitar centers.
Seriously people have got to stop using wire cutters! They're bad for the whole guitar!
EDIT: And the climate!!

okay seriously, im tired and bored, but wire cutters work just fine for that string-thing.
Last edited by dogmax at Dec 21, 2009,
I just unwind them! Seems less chance of wayward strings scratching the guitar.

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
Quote by thrench
I just unwind them! Seems less chance of wayward strings scratching the guitar.

Thrench

If you have a string through bridge you scratch the heck out of pulling the unwound part of the string back through, better to cut it (after loosening).
wire cutters. It's best to remove/replace 1 string at a time to maintain tension on the neck. FWIW I generally unwind each a turn or two before cutting so there's less tension on the string when I cut.
BTW, as far as I know your guitar should have 10 - 46, not even sure if a 10 - 42 set is out there, it's all 9 - 42.