So pit,
As a whole its probably fair to say most people dont prefer the most mainstream pop music. Generally i see bands like Dream Theater, Opeth [my favorite], Iron Maiden, Megadeth [dave ftw], TOOL, and others listed as bands that people respect more than ones like Fall Out Boy, Jonas Brothers, ect...

The pit takes an attitude that usually disses their music and calls them gay, untalented, and terrible musicians, whilst there out there making millions. So i propose a theory, or idea: what if all these mainstream pop bands that have become iconic to kids today are actually super secret geniuses, IE, Taylor Swift and the Jonas Brothers were smart enough to know that if they cud appeal to that crowd they would sell for millions, becoming filthy rich and having anythign they want while they secretly use their musical talents in the secrecy of their own super massive mansion to record stuff with inherit musical value. All the other musicians are making mediocre cash compared to them [as a general statement, obviously not always/ever true] when they cud be writing simple songs. We cud have Mr. Mustaine or Akerfeldt sit down for 3 minutes and write a song composing of solely powerchords to a poppy melody, put either nice lyrics to it, or highschool heartbreak lyrics, and sell to make millions, and make their good music on the side.

Discuss.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Well the reason seems to be that Mr. Akerfeldt loves playing the music he creates and money isn't going to make him change that. Others will choose money.

EDIT: to clear it up, its not like I dislike 'simple' music, and my favorite band is brand new, who write fairly simple songs, I just love bands where the artists play exactly what they want to play.
Last edited by Mean Mr Mustard at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Dreaminmusic
So pit,
As a whole its probably fair to say most people dont prefer the most mainstream pop music. Generally i see bands like Dream Theater, Opeth [my favorite], Iron Maiden, Megadeth [dave ftw], TOOL, and others listed as bands that people respect more than ones like Fall Out Boy, Jonas Brothers, ect...

The pit takes an attitude that usually disses their music and calls them gay, untalented, and terrible musicians, whilst there out there making millions. So i propose a theory, or idea: what if all these mainstream pop bands that have become iconic to kids today are actually super secret geniuses, IE, Taylor Swift and the Jonas Brothers were smart enough to know that if they cud appeal to that crowd they would sell for millions, becoming filthy rich and having anythign they want while they secretly use their musical talents in the secrecy of their own super massive mansion to record stuff with inherit musical value. All the other musicians are making mediocre cash compared to them [as a general statement, obviously not always/ever true] when they cud be writing simple songs. We cud have Mr. Mustaine or Akerfeldt sit down for 3 minutes and write a song composing of solely powerchords to a poppy melody, put either nice lyrics to it, or highschool heartbreak lyrics, and sell to make millions, and make their good music on the side.

Discuss.

No........just no
Honestly, Taylor Swift is really good.
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Because it isn't the artists who are making the millions, it is the people behind them. Record Producers, talent scouts, Heads of the record companies. Sure the artists might get the money, but they aren't the masterminds behind it.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I'm sorry, you had me until you said "cud"... Three times
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
"We cud have Mr. Mustaine or Akerfeldt sit down for 3 minutes and write a song composing of solely powerchords to a poppy melody, put either nice lyrics to it, or highschool heartbreak lyrics, and sell to make millions, and make their good music on the side."

Thats called selling out
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
well mr akerfeldt could continue making the music he enjoys, but im saying why doesnt he spend the 15 minutes itd take it to make a pop alternative album, under a pen name perhaps hahaha thats what everyone shud do to get teh moniez
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
I want to kill the next set of people who continue to go on and on about "Mainstream". Listen or don't listen, I don't want to hear you moan about it all.