Page 1 of 4
We all know about the cheap-o's that don't sound so great (the MGs, Spiders, Valvetronix, etc.), but...

...anyone ever try and expensive amp and HATE IT?

I know I have.

I jammed on a Classic 50 that belonged to a friend of mine and I really, really didn't like it. It seems really "honk-y" and weak to me; definitely not an amp I'll be perchasing.

Another friend of mine has a XXX and while it does achieve some pretty good modern tones, I can't stand the "raspy-ness" of the amp. It seems like there's a constant "hissss" underneath everything played on the amp....ugh.

Anyone else play through expensive/nice amps and hate them?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Fender Super Reverb. I didn't exactly HATE it, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy it, given its price tag. Maybe I'm not quite the 'cleans' sorta guy
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Mesa Boogie MarkIIB 1X12 Combo from 1981.

Definitly not an amp I want to play again.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by HellBoy9393
Fender Super Reverb. I didn't exactly HATE it, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy it, given its price tag. Maybe I'm not quite the 'cleans' sorta guy

I loved my super reverb.

I hate the triple rectifier. It sounded terrible.
Vox AC30 only because I can't afford it
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Bogner Alchemist 1x12 combo. The alchemist head is very nice but this combo, even with the vintage 30 in it blargh. Maybe it was just a bad day but I hated it.

Oh and the Marshall JVM410C. When another kid was trying it I enjoyed the sound. When I plugged in it sounded so bad I wanted to kill myself.

And that sucks, because everybody seems to love those amps.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
mesa mark IV. just sounded flubby and weak as piss.

probably just the set up tho.. only got to try it for about 30 minutes.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by HellBoy9393
Um, that's because you buy it for the incredible overdrive sounds that it yields.

Outside of the Mesa lonestar, I have never played one that I've liked.
pretty much any mesa Recto. they all suck for the most part.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by al112987
Um, that's because you buy it for the incredible overdrive sounds that it yields.

Too bad I couldn't even turn the volume past 9 oclock during band practice
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
i didn't hate it but the ac30cc2x was very underwhelming. for an amp which costs $3500 i would expect a whole lot more from it.

i also played some sort of mesa nomad or something like that, pretty dodgy to me.
Marshall JVM
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
^ There aren't a large number of tube amps that sound great with the volume lower than noon.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Bostonrocks
pretty much any mesa Recto. they all suck for the most part.

Lets start a band, you live a couple hours from me.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i once tried a Dr.z, couldn't get a good overdriven sound at all, but then again its supposed to be a low-gain amp. i was mislead by the name
All JVMs. I have no idea how Mustaine get those sounds from his. Also a Triple Rec today, just didn't do it for me. Teh Rectoverb was pretty good though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I wasn't thrilled with the Orange Thunderverb through an Orange 4x12 that I tried. It wasn't bad, but it didn't strike me as anything to write home about. Between the price and they hype, I was expecting a lot more.
Tried a Mesa Mark V combo the other day and WOW was that ever stupid.
Cleans were on par or worse than my Valvekings, and I couldn't get a single tone heavy enough for good chuggy stuff with the gain dimed.
I mean I know Mesa's (and especially Mark V's) are meant to be EQ'd for hours and the volume should be above 1-2 but COME ON. Not a single usable tone after 25 minutes of turning every single knob and switch? It was ridiculous. And so much for "most versatile amp ever", couldn't get high gain tones at all.

Kind of the same with dual rectifiers. I thought they sounded .. pretty good but not worthy of being the staple of modern metal when you look at its price.

I think with Mesa you're just paying for a whole bunch of knobs.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Dec 22, 2009,
ac30cc2x was very underwhelming. for an amp which costs $3500

? more like $1200... the AC30HH isn't even that much
Bogner Alchemist
Mesa/Boogie Express Series

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ There aren't a large number of tube amps that sound great with the volume lower than noon.

Most non master volume amps sound great below noon IMO.
As for me, it's the Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier Solo. There are several bands that use it whose tone I love, but the amp sounded awful pretty much every time I've used/heard it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Tried a Mesa Mark V combo the other day and WOW was that ever stupid.
Cleans were on par or worse than my Valvekings, and I couldn't get a single tone heavy enough for good chuggy stuff with the gain dimed.
I mean I know Mesa's (and especially Mark V's) are meant to be EQ'd for hours and the volume should be above 1-2 but COME ON. Not a single usable tone after 25 minutes of turning every single knob and switch? It was ridiculous. And so much for "most versatile amp ever", couldn't get high gain tones at all.

Kind of the same with dual rectifiers. I thought they sounded .. pretty good but not worthy of being the staple of modern metal when you look at its price.

I think with Mesa you're just paying for a whole bunch of knobs.

They're really not that complicated once you learn how all of the different EQs work. Most people I've met who didn't like them didn't know how to EQ them.

Mine has to be the ENGL Powerball though. Absolute piece that's not worth the 2k. I also don't like the Single Recto, although I think the Dual and Triple are okay and the 2 channel ones are great.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Bogner Alchemist 212 and Orange Tiny Terror... And its mainly because no matter what I did with the knobs on them they still sounded like themselves... which is how an amp normally is... but to me was terrible...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by ShallowEndings
I didn't expect this many people to say they didn't like mesa amps.

It's just certain amps and people's tastes. None of them are 'bad' per se, a lot of people just don't like them or haven't been able to use one to it's full potential.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Mesa 5:25 was pretty disapointing.
Quote by mmolteratx
It's just certain amps and people's tastes. None of them are 'bad' per se, a lot of people just don't like them or haven't been able to use one to it's full potential.

True.

You beat me regarding people not being able to EQ them properly. But when i tried the dual rectifier in the start of the year, no matter what i did i just couldn't find anything i liked. And that was a 2 hour honeymoon with it.

And then, he got a bugera
Amps that I HATED:
Jvm 410h
Any new rectifier
Krankenstein
And amps that I was highly underwhelmed by:
Mark V (the mk. III I had = better)
Pitbull 50cl
Diezel vh4

These amps are the suck for their price.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by ShallowEndings
True.

You beat me regarding people not being able to EQ them properly. But when i tried the dual rectifier in the start of the year, no matter what i did i just couldn't find anything i liked. And that was a 2 hour honeymoon with it.

And then, he got a bugera

I'll admit in an instant that the Dual Rec is a pretty hard to like amp. I only like it under certain conditions. It can't have the OS Recto cab and it's gotta have either an EQ or overdrive with a mid hump in front to tighten it up. Do that and know how to work the EQ on the amp, and you'll have a pretty bitchin tone. Otherwise it's a flabby mess.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Kivarenn82
mesa mark IV. just sounded flubby and weak as piss.

probably just the set up tho.. only got to try it for about 30 minutes.

You did it all wrong. ALL wrong. Mark IVs are ballsy and incredibly tight.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Didn't like the Mesa rectifier series. Marshall JVM, or any other Marshall for that matter (dsl, tsl)... Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II: Was really disappointed by it.

Holy-Diver: Diezel VH4 is the most versatile amp i've ever come across. With not the impossible amount of knobs... It will be my next amp, mark my words.
EVH 5150. Not really bad, but not great and what's the point when you can get a Peavey 5150 for way less.
Krank Chadwick, but I do like the Revolution.
Deizel Einstein.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by mmolteratx
I'll admit in an instant that the Dual Rec is a pretty hard to like amp. I only like it under certain conditions. It can't have the OS Recto cab and it's gotta have either an EQ or overdrive with a mid hump in front to tighten it up. Do that and know how to work the EQ on the amp, and you'll have a pretty bitchin tone. Otherwise it's a flabby mess.

Yeah your probably right. But i couldn't be bothered spending too much these days. Id rather get money saved up and spend on multiple items than just one thing. I prefer simple stuff i guess.
I feel vindicated, I've always said Mesas were an "you either love them or hate them" sort of amp and this thread is bearing that out. Personally, not a fan.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've never been crazy about the JCM-2000 DSL or especially the TSL series. It sounds very fake and weak and hissy and not distinct. But they were also the combo version.

I also tried a Bogner Alchemist and the cleans where great, but the distortion was muddy and non-distinct.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by skralan
Didn't like the Mesa rectifier series. Marshall JVM, or any other Marshall for that matter (dsl, tsl)... Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II: Was really disappointed by it.

Holy-Diver: Diezel VH4 is the most versatile amp i've ever come across. With not the impossible amount of knobs... It will be my next amp, mark my words.

Marshall's are overblown. I love mine, but the lore and mystery and envy that I had for it the years before my purchase don't match the tone.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Page 1 of 4