Ok i just got my guitar and i'm sitting down to play at 11pm everyones sleeping so i'm playing not plugged in and i noticed i have string buzz. It's not effecting the quality on an amp but it's annoying as hell does anyone know how to fix it?
you'd have to raise the action. if it doesn't bother you through an amp then the chances are that its not too bad (most string buzz you can hear through the amp). try raising the action just a hair, retuning, and see what happens.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
It could be a number of problems.

Before breaking out the file, hammer, sandpaper and truss rod wrench, stop while you are ahead.

Take it to a guitar shop and let a certified guitar tech set it up and adjust it. I know quite a few guys who have screwed their guitar up beyond repair.

If you want to learn to work on necks, it is best to learn on a cheap guitar, or one that you don't care much about. If you start cranking on the truss rod or sanding frets, you will be sorry. You really need to watch someone or go to a guitar workshop before messing with your nice guitars.
try find whr it is buzzing on the board

u could also fret each fret until u notice it stops then u know the buzzing happens somewhr b4 whr u fret

the only thing that comes up for fixing it in my mind is raise the string(s) that buzz just enough to stop the buzzing
If it just happens when you play acoustic (not plugged in), then it's normal, and fine.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
If it just happens when you play acoustic (not plugged in), then it's normal, and fine.

ya it's just when i play acoustically. I just got a LP today so is that just a normal thing they do?
Quote by asb9pwns
ya it's just when i play acoustically. I just got a LP today so is that just a normal thing they do?

Alot of guitars buzz when they're unplugged it's nothing to worry about.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

alright thank you and everyone else for the help
http://www.ehow.com/video_4396386_raise-bridge-les-paul-guitar.html

wht helped me was:

1: tune down to around drop C (not exactly just tune down)
2: tighten the 2 screws on the saddle all the way (Not the one whr u insert the strings)
3: mark with pencil/sharpie a straight line for both screws (this serves as reference point, and preferably at a right angle to something, like the pickups)
4: loosen the screws to about one whole turn (360 degrees)
5: tune to standard and see if buzz is still there
6: repeat steps 4-5 (but incrementing the screw's height by one-quarter turn= 90 degrees) if buzz is still there

EDIT: I have and Epi Les Paul special II and im at about 1.5 turns
Last edited by huskyplayer at Dec 21, 2009,
If you know what you are doing, you can set up your guitar yourself, but you don't sound like you do (no offense) so I would take it to a shop and have someone set it up for you. This involves a look at the truss rod and bridge action, among other things.

Quote by biga29

If it's not too bad, then yeah, it's no problem. But if it is a problem for the OP, then I would get it set up. It makes it sound and play better.
Last edited by In_Black_Flames at Dec 22, 2009,
o i have no clue what im doing lol. The one guy said it was normal IDK i have a lesson in two days i can ask there and let them look at it i guess
Quote by In_Black_Flames
If you know what you are doing, you can set up your guitar yourself, but you don't sound like you do (no offense) so I would take it to a shop and have someone set it up for you. This involves a look at the truss rod and bridge action, among other things.

truss rod is something i will never touch lol
Quote by huskyplayer
truss rod is something i will never touch lol

Not a bad call in most cases. But it's really not so scary after you figure it out.
Quote by In_Black_Flames

If it's not too bad, then yeah, it's no problem. But if it is a problem for the OP, then I would get it set up. It makes it sound and play better.

i'd say that if he can't hear it through his amp while he's playing with no gain, then it's not substantial enough to be considered a problem.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
i'd say that if he can't hear it through his amp while he's playing with no gain, then it's not substantial enough to be considered a problem.

Agreed. But he made a topic, so I answered it. =)
Quote by psychokiller99

i didn't try it clean yet hold up lol
u can barely hear it clean should i get it set up how much does that cost?
Quote by asb9pwns

I wouldn't worry about it yet, not if it isn't bothering you. Like you said, have someone look at it and see what he says, but if you are happy with it, then don't worry about it. Learning the basics does not require your guitar be perfectly set up.
Quote by asb9pwns

listen. if you take an electric guitar to a tech, and tell him that it's got some acoustic buzz,

he'll tell you there's nothing wrong.

if he does tell you to adjust its overall playability to compensate for some acoustic buzz, then he's looking to make some money off you.

buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011