Ok so I've alreadi made a thread the other day about going to buy a new guitar but it ran out (ESP Alexi Pink Sawtooth STD). I haven't called the dealer about ordering one in yet but I will sometime today. So now I need some options on what I should do IF the guitar doesn't get here by feb (next gig).

So heres some of my thoughts:
- Buy online a ESP Alexi Blacky USA (would like a STD ver but onli USAs are sold online. Main reason I chose a pink sawtooth over blacky is black guitar with black pinstripe is quite pointless)
- Buy a Jackson rr24:
------- Change to gold hardware
------- Change Schaller Folyd
------- Change Schaller Tuners
------- Change to EMG ALX set (for teh boost )
Some things to keep in mind is that this guitar would b mostly used for playing CoB stuff or Metal so clean and neck pickup is useless to me. Also I bet lots of ppl would say rr24 cus its cheaper but I do not care about the price. Those to options are onli IF i seriously cannot get the pink sawtooth
Check out the ESP SV. It's basically the Laiho model without paying extra for Laiho's name.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
RR24

much better investment, alexi guitar is a piece of shit, people are buying it just because its an alexi guitar, RR24 is much better. get the RR24, and i'd also reccomend swapping the EMG with a seymour duncan blackout.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
mostly used for playing CoB stuff or Metal so clean and neck pickup is useless to me.

Um...I know I'm not a big metal guy, but one of my best mates on here is. He's offline right now, but I can provide a quote he IMed me when I sent this to him though.

(12/22/2009 1:16:25 AM) Myself: If someone on UG said that cleans and neck pickups were useless to them because they play metal, what would you think of their words?
(1:17:53 AM) One: theyre fucking retarded.
tell them to listen to in flames, iron maiden, metallica, and yngwie malmsteen

I'm not saying you have to get a neck pickup, I personally use the bridge position mainly myself, and love a Les Paul Junior, so I can understand if you have reason, but if you're going to try and justify it, please choose something more, well, logical. Also, for the record, the pinstripe on the black is actually pretty badass-looking.

Anyway, continuing on, RR24. I haven't played the Alexi so I can't comment, but the RR24 is an absolute monster of an axe in a guitar, you will not regret buying it, and I trust what people say about the Alexi model, which has never been positive unless it's clear they're a diehard CoB fan, in which case they're kind of bias, so yeah.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
The RR24 is just a beast, so easy to play even while sitting down. Just get this, its basically the same guitar he used when he was with jackson
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
The SV is better than the Alexi guitar in my experience. Just add an EMG afterburner to whatever you get, it shouldn´t cost much.
Quote by necrosis1193
Um...I know I'm not a big metal guy, but one of my best mates on here is. He's offline right now, but I can provide a quote he IMed me when I sent this to him though.

I'm not saying you have to get a neck pickup, I personally use the bridge position mainly myself, and love a Les Paul Junior, so I can understand if you have reason, but if you're going to try and justify it, please choose something more, well, logical. Also, for the record, the pinstripe on the black is actually pretty badass-looking.

Anyway, continuing on, RR24. I haven't played the Alexi so I can't comment, but the RR24 is an absolute monster of an axe in a guitar, you will not regret buying it, and I trust what people say about the Alexi model, which has never been positive unless it's clear they're a diehard CoB fan, in which case they're kind of bias, so yeah.

Currently I'm onli playin stuff like Trivium and CoB. I'm not saying that neck pickups are useless but personally I don't need it. I do use the neck pickup for trivium songs I play since it does sound better for their songs but when it comes to CoB songs as long as you could play it clean then its totally fine. As quoted by many ppl "Many beginners just turn on full distortion and goes to neck pickup and plays as fast as they can... Clean>Speed"

I'm not choosing to buy an Alexi onli because I'm an CoB fan but because I've actually tried them and like it. I haven't played a rhoads before yet but will go to the dealer to try it out sometime (just came in). Right now I think I would end up with the rr24 cuz theres possible less than 20% chance it'll reach in time. I'll just swap out some stuff and I guess its fine.
Sorry for the double post but yea...

Quote by Vlasco
The SV is better than the Alexi guitar in my experience. Just add an EMG afterburner to whatever you get, it shouldn´t cost much.

One of the reasons I want the ESP is cus of the gloss neck and satin neck. I want something thats not a painted neck this time.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL

One of the reasons I want the ESP is cus of the gloss neck and satin neck. I want something thats not a painted neck this time.

SV´s don´t have a painted neck... The only difference between the SV and Alexi is that the inlays are different and it has a neck pickup. Also the EMG afterburner, which is easy to install or have installed.

Front of SV Standard:

Back of SV Standard:

I would go for the RR24....I recently picked up the RR24M and I absolutly love it....way better..IMO...than the Alexi models I have played (200 and 600).

Great great necks....and a smaller body which is a little more comfortable to me anyways.

And the Floyd on the RR24 is exactly like an original floye rose but made in Japan instead of Germany(schaller), also its a locking bridge so tunners really don't need to be replaced right away.

And to all you guys who think 1 PU is useless becasue you can't change the tone.....you are wrong....there are things you can do to adjust the tone, even if you don't have a tone knob.

Push/pull volume that acts as a tone

or what Alexi used to use and now uses this: http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4887.htm

Which can adjust the gain and the actual tone of the PU...like a tone and gain knob all in one and it can all fit in the guitar cavity, so no hole need to be drilled.

You have you options, but personally I would go for the RR24 as they are IMO the best V shaped guitars ever made.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
My friend has an RR24 White/Black, I tried the ESP Alexi 600 and it was good, but the RR24 just rapes, and also you would look more original with this guitar over getting somebodies signature :P which I think is better.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Ok to make it more clear I do not want a neck pickup in this next guitar

why wouldnt you want the neck pick up
im just curios...does it make a diff, becuase of price?
Quote by '93
why wouldnt you want the neck pick up
im just curios...does it make a diff, becuase of price?

No it doesn't.....my RR24M has one PU and list at $1299.99

So price is not the reason.

Some people just don't need 2 for certain things they play. Plus some believe that with one PU and less wiring the sound gets less altered as it has less electronics to go through.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
No it doesn't.....my RR24M has one PU and list at $1299.99

So price is not the reason.

Some people just don't need 2 for certain things they play. Plus some believe that with one PU and less wiring the sound gets less altered as it has less electronics to go through.

wouldn't more sustain be somewhat acheived with only one pickup because of the lack of an extra magnet pulling on the strings?
Edit: I mean, I know sustain is mostly in neck contruction, body wood and the strings and vibrato, but the lack of the second pickup could help the sustain too, right?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by randomhero93
wouldn't more sustain be somewhat acheived with only one pickup because of the lack of an extra magnet pulling on the strings?
Edit: I mean, I know sustain is mostly in neck contruction, body wood and the strings and vibrato, but the lack of the second pickup could help the sustain too, right?

I have heard that before but I am not certain if you will get more sustain.

In theory you would have more sustain because if you only have 1 PU that means there is more wood to the guitar, where as if you have the 2nd PU they have to route out wood to make room for it.

SO based off of my thinking I would say that yes you prob do get a little better sustain.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

In theory you would have more sustain because if you only have 1 PU that means there is more wood to the guitar, where as if you have the 2nd PU they have to route out wood to make room for it.

SO based off of my thinking I would say that yes you prob do get a little better sustain.

its what i thought, but the body wood, neck construction, strings, and the quality of the hardware affects most of the sustain too. my theory is not only is there less wood cut out, but also no second magnet pulling the strings down.

thanks for clearing that up with me.

maybe TS wants more sustain on his bridge pickup too? lol
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by srob7001

That's true.

And if the neck pickup is strong enough (read: VERY high output), it will make a small difference in sustain, although in a guitar like that, probably not enough to make much of a noticeable difference.

But still, when in CoB-type music would you ever need a lot of sustain?

TS, you may regret the decision of going with a single pickup later, if your musical preferences ever change...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
That's true.

And if the neck pickup is strong enough (read: VERY high output), it will make a small difference in sustain, although in a guitar like that, probably not enough to make much of a noticeable difference.

But still, when in CoB-type music would you ever need a lot of sustain?

TS, you may regret the decision of going with a single pickup later, if your musical preferences ever change...

The thing with having 1 PU is that you can get diff tones, you just gotta play with the volume a lot.

Also, you may not NEED sustain to play CoB for instance, but having more sustain is never a bad thing. Having good sustain IMO is what makes a big bend vibrato really ring out and sound proper. Without sustain your notes just die out too quick.

I will say this....my RR24M has the best sustain out of any guitar I have ever owned. Prob due to the fact that it is a neck through and that it has a good trem. You can just feel the vibrations through the guitar so well. I mean when I sit and play and hit the strings I literally can feel the vibrations through out my entire body...its crazy. I never knew a guitar could resonate like that.

And if your musical tastes ever change.....which they will at some point in your life.....you can always just buy a new guitar. I know at some point I will want another guitar that has 2 PU's but I know that won't be for a while, so it gives me time to think about what I want out of the next guitar I get( Ibanez Destroyer )
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by randomhero93
its what i thought, but the body wood, neck construction, strings, and the quality of the hardware affects most of the sustain too. my theory is not only is there less wood cut out, but also no second magnet pulling the strings down.

thanks for clearing that up with me.

maybe TS wants more sustain on his bridge pickup too? lol

I like your theory.

We are the new UG guitar scientists.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ