its a plastic finish

i already tried it a little bit on the top, but it seemed to melt the veneer and i wound up taking a little chunk out of the flame maple top.

so how is the proper way to take off the poly-finish?

i DO NOT want to use chemicals.
sand paper.

if it wasn't a flame top I would say use a blowtorch, not a heatgun. theblowtorch and a scraper was so much fun removing the finish from my guitar.....
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Heating is more time consuming then sanding. I tried on my last guitar and ended up screwing it up. I had to sand and fill.

Just sand it!
Quote by R45VT
Heating is more time consuming then sanding. I tried on my last guitar and ended up screwing it up. I had to sand and fill.

Just sand it!

our heating wasnt?

you just have to do it right i suppose..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
unfortunately i live in a small apartment and have to work in doors. the sanding dust is going to get everywhere... especially in my lungs. i can't work outside either.

is using a heat gun that big of a hassle?
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burn.htm

FYI, that was in the refinishing thread. Searchbar before you post please.
Also, it makes a serious mess this way, in fact it makes a serious mess any way. However, i found that chemicals make the least mess inside.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burn.htm

FYI, that was in the refinishing thread. Searchbar before you post please.
Also, it makes a serious mess this way, in fact it makes a serious mess any way. However, i found that chemicals make the least mess inside.

thanks for the link
its making me seriously think twice about using the heat gun.

will chemicals hurt the wood?
Last edited by sethp at Dec 22, 2009,
Nope. I've done many strips using chemicals. I'd be more worried about yourself. Wear long sleeves, eye protection and gloves.

It's easy as hell though. Slop some stripper on, let it set, then scrap. Thats it.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.