Generic seems to be a title that is getting throwing around a lot right now. It got me wondering if the stuff that i create and come up with, is it generic? i might think it sounds alright but then everyone else may think its generic. It doesn't bother now though i just wanted to know if the thought has crossed your mind and if it effects what you create of come up with,
do you purposly go that extra little bit further "out there" to stand out?
I credit it to creativity and tenacity to think up a nice hook, and then perfecting it. I guess that's what you're getting around to >_>

I'll give your stuff a listen , and you mine? :P sounds like you've been given generic answers as well >_<

but yeah.. Sometimes I notice it as well

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22677091#post22677091
Last edited by Night at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Lou108
Generic seems to be a title that is getting throwing around a lot right now. It got me wondering if the stuff that i create and come up with, is it generic? i might think it sounds alright but then everyone else may think its generic. It doesn't bother now though i just wanted to know if the thought has crossed your mind and if it effects what you create of come up with,
do you purposly go that extra little bit further "out there" to stand out?

I've tried my best to not recreate the things I've heard, and even then I catch myself playing things that have already been done and I get frustrated. When I haven't heard what I "created" and I show it to my friends, they tell me "hey, that sounds close to this song" and then I get even more frustrated. Frustrated to the point where I said "**** it, if it doesn't sound like a song I've heard then I'm doing good".

When I'm making a song, I always have that voice in the back of my head telling me "this is the sound that I want to hear" and I'm pretty sure that voice is molded by the songs I've already heard, so it's going to come out generic. At that point, I'll go further to break from that generic sound.
Quote by Strwnth
I've tried my best to not recreate the things I've heard, and even then I catch myself playing things that have already been done and I get frustrated. When I haven't heard what I "created" and I show it to my friends, they tell me "hey, that sounds close to this song" and then I get even more frustrated. Frustrated to the point where I said "**** it, if it doesn't sound like a song I've heard then I'm doing good".

When I'm making a song, I always have that voice in the back of my head telling me "this is the sound that I want to hear" and I'm pretty sure that voice is molded by the songs I've already heard, so it's going to come out generic. At that point, I'll go further to break from that generic sound.

Actually , I feel the same oftentimes, although most of those I know in person and ask these sorta questions to - they normally just go "hey that's pretty cool" but sometimes I do get that moment where they name off this or that band that I absolutely despise or cringe from hearing the mention of, and more often than that, they name it off as sounding like some song from some video game ost or epic movie (which is what I shoot for

Hell if I could just put down on a mix what I think in my head half the time - I'd probably have a platinum album out by now XD jk jk, I'm full of it, but that's my most biggest wall to climb. being proficient enough in learning my fretboard to the point that I can lay down a track of what I'm thinking.

But tbh... I haven't heard all too many user submitted recordings that sounded like "this other band" probably cause I don't listen to such and such band or genre to begin with meh...

course if you write metalcore or w/e the ****, than yeah.. it'll just about sound all the same to me >_>