Not a Fender Strat per-se, but the same kind of guitar. I've made a few threads looking for a "versatile" guitar, and have somewhat decided on a Strat, or something like it. Preferably an HSS. Or something with an S body and HSS arranged pick-ups. Hopefully around $1100 or below. I mainly use my school amps, so don't ask about those, and I have a little 10watt Epi practice amp at home. I've looked at Ibanez and ESP's (The black Horizon II with the Les Paul body is orgasmic btw. That would be nice as well.)

(EDIT: Its an eclipse II)

I'm also going down to the city for a day on Christmas to look at new guitars, so it'd be good to know what to look for before hand.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 22, 2009,
If you have $1100 dollars, why not buy a Fender? You could get a really nice HSS Deluxe.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Its also my first electric, I don't know how much I'd really want to spend. My dad said he'd go halfsies if its not crazy expensive. I've only been playing for a year, I don't know if I should even have something like a Fender.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Its also my first electric, I don't know how much I'd really want to spend. My dad said he'd go halfsies if its not crazy expensive. I've only been playing for a year, I don't know if I should even have something like a Fender.

What kind of music are you into?
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by AWACS

If you aren't sure you wanna spend that much, why not try an FSR Fender HSS? Or just one of the higher end Mexican strats?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you like the Eclipse II, check out the LTD EC-1000
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I don't know if I should even have something like a Fender.

First of all, don't short-change yourself. It has been my experience that you'll love that one really nice guitar much more than 2-3 cheap guitars.
if this is your first electric why spend around $1000?

i'd say get a cheapo squier strat or fender starcaster
trust me its not worth the money to get an expensive guitar
after a while you may even think guitar is for you and be stuck with a 1000 dollar guitar
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by EvilAngel93
Schecter Hellraiser FTW

Seconded—load up a Schecter and you’ll never need to worry about upgrades, and I think the Schecter necks are a real improvement over Fenders.
Get a better amp. Doesn't matter if you can use school amps - you can buy a better one without taking too much out of that budget and whatever guitar you use will sound a ton better.
My suggestion would be an HSS Mexican Strat, but hunt around for an online bargain if the retail price is significantly higher in Canada. For amps... I can't say what $600 or so will get you in Canada but you should be able to pick up a decent tube amp for that kind of money and could probably pick one up for less if you hunt around a bit. You could get both of these for $1100 easily and it would kick the shit out of a $1100 guitar through a school amp or practice amp.

EDIT:
For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vox-AC15-CC1-Custom-Classic-15W-AC15-New-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ350287429368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518ec1fef8
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-MEXICAN-STRATOCASTER-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-WINE-RED_W0QQitemZ270502436219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efb339d7b

I did a one minute ebay search, so I'm certainly not saying that's the best you can do.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Last edited by catempire at Dec 22, 2009,
dude if you can afford one, get an American Fender.... they pretty much play themselves..... well not really. But they play so easily and feel like nothing else (to me). The neck is so awesome its really unexplainable.....

you can always save up for a nice tube amp in time.

playing/owning one gives a feeling similar to that of which would build in one's loins upon seeing a really attractive woman that you wanna give it to.

But instead of your junk, it's in your mind. Playing it through a cranked tube amp = 8=======D~~~; of electronic proportions that is.

Aaaaaand if you happen to be Gay or Female.... you can switch the above statement up however you want it to be and you will understand what i mean

now that said.... mexican fenders aren't bad guitars by any means

Quote by Ruff Stuff
First of all, don't short-change yourself. It has been my experience that you'll love that one really nice guitar much more than 2-3 cheap guitars.

but yeah this pretty much sums up my thoughts with less words
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 22, 2009,
I don't really know about an awesome amp yet. I'm only 16, only played for a year, don't really know about getting a band together or snything. When and if I get some friends together and make a band, I'll ask you guys about amps :P

Whats the quality difference between a MIM Strat, Fender Strat, and the other one (a MIJ strat I think?) ?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I suggest finding a store and try before you buy. I decided on a MiM strat. I played the clapton strat, road worn 50/60s, steve vaughn strat, highway one, american, american deluxe. Granted my strat didn't sound the best, it felt the best. A pickup change does those wonders. Anyways my suggestion is look used, get a used HSS strat off craigslist, make sure you try it, maybe a dud. Possibly look for a Vox AC4TV used as well, even new. If you get both used, you can easily spend less than $500. If you get the guitar used, and the amp new I'd say 500-600 range. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by hoochki
I suggest finding a store and try before you buy. I decided on a MiM strat. I played the clapton strat, road worn 50/60s, steve vaughn strat, highway one, american, american deluxe. Granted my strat didn't sound the best, it felt the best. A pickup change does those wonders. Anyways my suggestion is look used, get a used HSS strat off craigslist, make sure you try it, maybe a dud. Possibly look for a Vox AC4TV used as well, even new. If you get both used, you can easily spend less than $500. If you get the guitar used, and the amp new I'd say 500-600 range. Just my 2 cents.

Good to know but you didn't answer my second question
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Dude, buy a nice guitar that will last you a long time. Just having something of status like an MIA Fender or some such equivalent will only serve to inspire you to play more and more.
Quote by AWACS

Whats the quality difference between a MIM Strat, Fender Strat, and the other one (a MIJ strat I think?) ?

Well, they are all Fender. MIM is made in mexico. MIJ in Japan and MIA in America. Just to make sure you have that straight. MIM is slightly below MIA and MIJ but you won't notice it in the craftsmanship as much as the quality of wood/material the use. The MIAs get the higher quality woods whereas the MIMs can be made of less selective wood. I would put MIJ on par with MIA.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Shaggy_420
if this is your first electric why spend around $1000?

i'd say get a cheapo squier strat or fender starcaster
trust me its not worth the money to get an expensive guitar
after a while you may even think guitar is for you and be stuck with a 1000 dollar guitar

I disagree, my first electric was a 70's Fender strat which I had for years until it was recently stolen.

Mine, well I had $500 to spend and that is the one I got for that price tag. But it is worth getting a good guitar because it inspires you and if you get serious you already have a good one with no need to upgrade. If he doesn't continue with guitar a good quality guitar will always have good resale value anyway.