Hi,

I play an Ibanez RGT42DX and I'm planning to replace my INF1 and maybe INF2 stock pickups with something more refined from Dimarzio and stuff. I'm looking for a clear sound for heavy metal (thrash/groove, progressive), hard rock, funk, and clean playing.

For metal, I like Metallica's solid and rich sound, a little more modern in terms of output and harmonics. For hard rock, I like Guns 'N Roses/Extreme groovy type, a little more bluesy. I also want to have a fitting sound for funky stuff and clean playing in general.

What pickups will serve a balance of those traits? I'm more concerned with bridge, but neck suggestions are well appreciated. I have Dimarzio D Activator Bridge and LiquiFire Neck in mind. Any suggestions?

Also, what is the difference between D Activator and D Activator X bridge pickups?

Thanks for all responses!
Breed set.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Your requirements pretty much cover the spectrum, so you are asking for a lot from one pickup. Slash uses vintage-sounding pickups, and similar pickups are found in some of Hetfield's guitars. Take a look at the Duncan JB, the Duncan Pearly Gates and the Duncan '59.

The DiMarzio Crunch Tone and LiquiFire were designed in cooperation with uber-guitarist John Petrucci, and have replaced the DiMarzio D-Sonic and Air Norton that he was previously using. If you want the Petrucci tone, this would go a long way toward it (to complete the package, you would need expensive Mesa amps, t.c. electronics delay and supernatural guitar skills).

The D-Activator X is louder than its D-Activator brother, and has two bar polepieces instead of 12 individual polepieces. The D-Activator X is sort of a watered down X2N.
haha, i guess the whole spectrum is what all of us are trying achieve. since i only have one electric guitar, i can only go for one set of pickups. Thanks a lot for info!
bridge pup - Dimarzio D-sonic/Crunch Tone
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Have a look at the RockMonkey Pickups,

you've got the buttmonkey (bridge?) - http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/buttmonkey.htm
and an Alnico 2 pickup for Slash type tones - RockMonkey Vintage Original - http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/original_gorilla_fist.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
It's like this: expensive or boutique pickups are designed (almost) for a single type of sound.

For metal, cleans (but more jazz than funk) the nailbombs are amazing. For pure metal I would suggest the Warpigs but bareknuckles are expensive.

Seymour and Dimarzio make the most versatile pickups for all those sounds, but none of them will be the "best" for each but they should provide You a very nice sound for all.

I second the Pearly gates and the D-Activator. Very versatile but they do depend on the wood of ur guitar.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
amp you have?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by FatalGear41
Your requirements pretty much cover the spectrum, so you are asking for a lot from one pickup. Slash uses vintage-sounding pickups, and similar pickups are found in some of Hetfield's guitars. Take a look at the Duncan JB, the Duncan Pearly Gates and the Duncan '59.

Wolfetone Marshallheads are only 204 for a set and will destroy all three of those.

You can get them in Alnico II magnets as well for a more of a Slash/Billy Gibbons/Mark Knopfler sound.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Wolfe's anniversary sale ended, they're back up to $260. Still a pretty good price though....
Amp do you have?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
For the neck, you can also look at DiMarizo's Air Zone, PAF Pro, Air Classic and the 36th Anniversary.

For the bridge, DiMarzio's D Activator, Super 2 or the Tone Zone

The D Activator X is a very dark pickup, whereas the D Activator is a generally balance pickup.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by al112987
Wolfe's anniversary sale ended, they're back up to $260. Still a pretty good price though....

Haha, I got in just in time then!

He misplaced my order so they just were assembled last week.

It's kind of a pissoff since the LP has been out of commission for nearly 3 months now waiting for these. I just can't play with those stock pups.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah same, I ordered mine maybe a month or so before the sale ended and got a great deal, they just took some time to get finished. Great pickups though.
^ As soon as they come I'm posting Tush and Money for Nothing.

whoo thanks everybody! i just bought d activator bridge and liquifire after considering some others, and i'm very happy with them. so articulate and versatile from clean to high gain. little things here and there are easily adjusted with amp and stuff although mine is a shitty ibz10g.