Ok I'm writing this song that sounds nothing like the other one I have written, and I want to use part of the main riff as my pre-chorus. Is that cheap to "re-use" my riff in another song, even if the two songs as a whole are nothing a like? I'm writing a really soft song and the riff I'm borrowing from is a slow hard-rock song.
R.I.P. Paul Gray 04/08/72 - 05/24/10
Only the good die young...
The music may have died but the memories will live on in our hearts forever...
I'm gonna miss you Paul... Maggot for Life...
Do this a whole bunch of times with many songs, and make a concept album!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I've actually never heard of doing that before....and come to think of it, it's actually pretty badass
Though if you don't wanna be cheap, change it up slightly, but not so much that you lose the feel
I sometimes reuse vocal melodies as guitar lines and use similar lyrical themes in my songs, but all of the songs are connected, so it makes sense. I don't think it really matters, but it seems a little lazy to me. Just try making it a little different
Quote by travislausch
Do this a whole bunch of times with many songs, and make a concept album!

+28373985759125
It's not exact it's just sorta the same concept if you get what I'm saying. Like a guitar player who listened to it could figure out that it's slightly the same chord, but someone who doesn't play guitar may not really notice it....
I'm surprised that most of the people here havn't heard of this, to put it simply, it's called filler
If you hope to write memorable songs the last thing you should do is reuse riffs
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Well if you would hear/see the opening chords then I doubt most people will forget it. Plus it is a really deep, emotional song.
You could reuse a riff but play it differently (more power, etc) as a reference to the other song.