Alright then,

I'm looking for a new electric guitar. I've been playing around 3 years and usually play metal, rock, and punk. I would prefer something similar to the Schecter Omen-6 or a LP. I have a Vox AD50vt-XL amp and will have a budget of $850 NZD max (maybe around 4-500 USD)

Thanks for any help in advance
Well, for metal, look at espguitars.com. For rock, I would suggest gibson.com. For punk, not really sure. Check it out.
if you are willing to spend the time you should get an epiphone les paul studio and install EMG 81/60 pair
3 years? I would think you would know this by now.
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
The dude bove me is right, ESP and Gibson are your best bet. You might want to try some Jacksons, though.
Clapton is god, accept it.
Quote by ripjoestrummer
3 years? I would think you would know this by now.

Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Maybe a Schecter C1? Not too sure which exact model but I would think it would feel similar to the Omen 6 but just being a bit more upper classish.
Well a Les Paul probably wont cover metal, maybe an Epiphone SG? That could cover all the types of music you play quite well.
Quote by Hysteria25
Well a Les Paul probably wont cover metal

are you kidding me? thats pretty ignorant to say. If an Ibanez or ESP, hell even a Fender or anything else shaped remotely close to a Strat with humbuckers can cover metal what in the HELL makes you think a Les Paul cant?

Metal is in:

1.most importantly the hands
2.the amp
3.the pickups

what kind of guitar used is entirely up to the player.

les pauls strong suit is more punk and straight hard rock/blues opposed to metal, but dont rule them out
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
are you kidding me? thats pretty ignorant to say. If an Ibanez or ESP, hell even a Fender or anything else shaped remotely close to a Strat with humbuckers can cover metal what in the HELL makes you think a Les Paul cant?

Metal is in:

1.most importantly the hands
2.the amp
3.the pickups

what kind of guitar used is entirely up to the player.

The TP didn't tell us that he was going to put EMG's in it, did he? He has a tight budget and has to work with what he has. A Epi Les Paul studio is not going to cover metal, likewise buying a BC Rich isnt going to cover his punk.
bullshit, an epi lp studio with an pickup change will sound as versatile as an epi les paul can get, and can do rock, metal, and punk, pretty ****in well.... those styles normally are associated with higher gain, its the guitar techniques in themselves and the songwriting style + a little more gain that make it metal..... it will get good tones regardless.

you dont need exclusively emgs to play metal. thats just crap

I've played the cheap ass Special II with some duncans in it, and through the tiny terror he's got it didnt sound half bad at all, it didnt play as smooth as alot of the other guitars i have played but it still could keep up. and those are more entry level than the Epi LP Studio

nobody says he cant just wait a little while to save up the extra coin for a pickup swap
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Hysteria25
The TP didn't tell us that he was going to put EMG's in it, did he? He has a tight budget and has to work with what he has. A Epi Les Paul studio is not going to cover metal, likewise buying a BC Rich isnt going to cover his punk.

And exactly why not?
An Epi Les Paul will do metal. A pick up change would help, but it can do it if you push it. I'm not saying you're gonna get any Jackson-esque tones, but it will be possible to push a high gain, cutting tone from it. (With a capable amp, of course.)

Punk is easy to replicate, and if the guitar can do metal it can most likely do punk. Punk can be achieved by basically any guitar that has a bridge pickup and can handle high gain/ highly overdriven tones.

The Epi can also do rock of course - this has been proven by rock guitarist for like 40 years now. Neck pickup will get you smooth, lead slash type sounds (not the best, but it can do it), and the bridge can handle an alright overdrive, so why not?

This thing is made out of mahogany - it will be predominantly thick and warm sounding.

Also, the guitar is crazy versatile. You could get blues, jazz, punk, metal, rock, funk (at a stretch), tones pretty easily with the right equipment. Also - the guitar is a pretty classic shape and won't make you look stupid if you're playing in performances which are completely un-metal. Honestly, some of the year 8s at the church for the school's Christmas performances just can't be taken seriously when they're playing Christmas carols on their B.C.rich mocking bird copies and other random metal-esque guitars. Of coruse this doesn't matter if you dont do any of these types of performances but it's just something I thought about.

Although I'd grab a Tokai replica - I was looking at them for a while and they have nothing but awesome reviews.. Either that or look for the older epiphones - 90's. I have a 90's epiphone custom (It's been dimarzio'd) and it's fricking awesome.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
And exactly why not?

The studio has 22 frets with poor access to the higher ones. The way a TONNE. The Les Paul sound is often going to be too thick for metal, especially with the lower grade models in the TP's price range. Notice why so few metal guitarists use Les Pauls? Sure, Zakk Wylde does, but he is playing a Gibson LP Custom with EMG Pickups, and that Lamb Of God dude does, but hes playing an ESP.
Quote by Hysteria25
The studio has 22 frets with poor access to the higher ones. The way a TONNE. The Les Paul sound is often going to be too thick for metal, especially with the lower grade models in the TP's price range. Notice why so few metal guitarists use Les Pauls? Sure, Zakk Wylde does, but he is playing a Gibson LP Custom with EMG Pickups, and that Lamb Of God dude does, but hes playing an ESP.

You have no idea what's about to happen to you

also if you think a studio weighs a lot .... oh dear.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Hysteria25

22 frets is bad now? Well Will Adler's sig ESP has 22 frets so meh. And then we need to argue the whole 22 vs. 24 which is more useful and which isn't. But no you can still play metal with 22 frets

LP sound too thick? Well that's pretty much opinion and nothing factual so you can take that out of your (weak) argument.

Pretty sure Randy Rhoads at one point played a LP, same with Kirk Hamett and James Hetfield, that guy from KISS (okay they're more rock then metal but look at that face painting).

Basically I'm saying the LP will do metal and you haven't really come up with a strong enough argument besides a weak fret access which tbh you should just get finger surgery to extend, the sound being too thick which would be more opionated, and because a lack of presence in the metal scene. So that said they weren't really convincing arguments as to why a LP won't do metal.

But you know I'm all up for arguments so you can keep on coming up with arguments as to why a LP won't play metal but like I think you'll find most of the members on here are smart/knowledgeable/unbiased enough to know that's not the case.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
22 frets is bad now? Well Will Adler's sig ESP has 22 frets so meh. And then we need to argue the whole 22 vs. 24 which is more useful and which isn't. But no you can still play metal with 22 frets

LP sound too thick? Well that's pretty much opinion and nothing factual so you can take that out of your (weak) argument.

Pretty sure Randy Rhoads at one point played a LP, same with Kirk Hamett and James Hetfield, that guy from KISS (okay they're more rock then metal but look at that face painting).

Basically I'm saying the LP will do metal and you haven't really come up with a strong enough argument besides a weak fret access which tbh you should just get finger surgery to extend, the sound being too thick which would be more opionated, and because a lack of presence in the metal scene. So that said they weren't really convincing arguments as to why a LP won't do metal.

But you know I'm all up for arguments so you can keep on coming up with arguments as to why a LP won't play metal but like I think you'll find most of the members on here are smart/knowledgeable/unbiased enough to know that's not the case.

It is a well known fact that Les Pauls produce a thick sound, and I didn't say it wouldn't do metal. I said an SG would be better.
Quote by Hysteria25
It is a well known fact that Les Pauls produce a thick sound, and I didn't say it wouldn't do metal. I said an SG would be better.

I meant too thick for metal like you said here

Quote by Hysteria25

That's just an opinion, it's not fact. Don't get the 2 mixed up.

As for saying a LP won't do metal well...

Quote by Hysteria25

That sounds like you were saying a LP won't be doing metal to me. Though I may have some comprehension issues but I don't think it's an issue at this current moment.
Quote by tommyt
You have no idea what's about to happen to you

also if you think a studio weighs a lot .... oh dear.

my studio weighs 10.5 pounds...
as for will a les paul do metal.. yes, les pauls can do every thing because they are awesomely great versatile guitars, BUT there are better options out there if u want a heavier sound. an esp ltd h-1001 if u can find one or some other esps would be awesome. the schecter c-1 would also be good if u like the omen.
Quote by Hysteria25
Well a Les Paul probably wont cover metal, maybe an Epiphone SG? That could cover all the types of music you play quite well.

Hold up, hold up......
Yeah, I guess that a Les Paul might not be a guitar specifically suited for metal, but hey, if it's got a thin enough neck and the right pickups, it could do metal a hell of a lot better than some other guitars out there. A majority of the tone created by the guitar is in the pickups. A Les Paul with an EMG 81/85 combo is gonna sound much more metal than an Ibanez RG with P-90's. Plus if the fret access on a Les Paul is a bitch to you, just do it the way Slash does it and set the guitar up high on your leg.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I kinda forgot about this thread - woops. I am gunna get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Studio sometime this week hopefully... maybe tomorrow