Page 1 of 14
Bill43
I like it here
1,893 IQ
Here you go... I'm getting tired of all the repetative "my band" questions... so heres a stickied thread for them.

Just a couple of simple rules... no spam and no BS.

Last edited by Bill43 at Aug 7, 2004,
charger356
UG's Mr. Nice Guy
625 IQ
I've been having a hard time lately with my band. Here's the situation:

My band has been together about a year now and everything was peachy. I was the lead guitarist/vox. It was a standard four-piece band. Well, we've been playing at our church's dinners and stuff like that and the preacher approached us about having our own music service in the morning (He said that we needed stuff a little heavier to get some kids interested). Well, we all agreed to do it.

Well, this guy (let's say his name is "Herbie") comes in and starts "writing" stuff for us. He knows one little riff on guitar, so he put lyrics to that. THE SONG IS HORRIBLE!!! It is super-repetetive, slow, and boring. Anyways, now he considers himself the Lead VOX of the band, and the leader of our music service. Therefor, he doesn't even consider stuff that we wrote. He thinks that if he didn't write it, then we can't play it...

THIS is where it gets sticky: the control-freak "Herbie" fellow is actually my brother! So if I kick him out of the band, everyone will think that I was just jealous of him. He really gets on my nerves sometimes, but I guess that is what brothers are for. Anyways, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

P.S. Thank you SO much for taking your time to read this!!!
ENADSIDOG
R.I.P George
19 IQ
tsk tsk tsk

*shakes finger*

dude theres three rules in a band

1. dont start a band with your girlfrind
2.dont start one with your best friend
3.no family

(there exeptions sometimes)

dude your brothere beena dick ego maniac simple

no offense but just tell him lay it down for him that its nit "his band"

do the ohter mebers get sick of him?

"if he dont like been told tell him hes out, cause its not goign ot be good for your bands progress if you guys rt having fun"

no one will think your jelous , your obviusly better

just explain hes a dick are you older?

(ignore my many typos)
Jimi was good.............
Page was GREAT........
But Geroge was better!!
Doolittle88
UG's occasional poster
49 IQ
i disagree with 2 and 3 - its not always bad........think malcolm and angus in AC/DC, dan and justin in the darkness...but the exception there is that these are good players......if your brother is one of these 3 chord trick people tell him to go away and come back when hes practiced and is serious about music.
well....i really think you should quit smoking
rhcpcure2826
Banned
20 IQ
hi, im looking to play guitar in my schools jazz band... i was wondering what music teachers generally expect from their musicians as a prerequisite or something. should i be learning more about reading music, or learning chords (even though i know chords with extensions fluently), or learning more scales, or being mobile around the neck with modes, can anyone whos had prior experience tell me this.

what i suck at is reading music; i was weened on tabs since i started a few years ago... i know how to read the notes but not RIGHT off the bat, and i certainly couldnt play a song right when i see sheet music because i suck at reading rhythms at the same time...

remember, please reply if youve had prior experience.
Last edited by rhcpcure2826 at Oct 16, 2004,
Nirtallica
^^Metallica^^
331 IQ
u should know all ur maj, min 7ths and 9ths and 13ths, plus a lot of slash chords and altered chords. yeh and u need to know how to read music and what mode to solo in. trust me its pretty hard stuff at first.
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref
4,054 IQ
reading standard notation is a must.... my school's jazz band has a requirement for entering guitarists to be able to read notation. if they can only read tab and are an excellent guitarist, they're out, despite their skill. MUST KNOW NOTATION.

if you understand modes and chord extensions and resolution and secondary dominants (to a point i guess) then you're on your way. most kids enter a jazz band to learn about those things, however you're a step ahead of the game if you already know half the stuff.

be prepared for a lot.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
UndeadPaperclip
Faithless
391 IQ
Depends on your teacher, you definately have to know notation, but as to the chords and whatnot it all depends. Sadly my school Jazz band sucks, and the guitarist gets away with playing non distorted power chords, he just looks at the chord and powerchords it, whereas other bands you have to be good at reading notes and chords, so it all depends on your teacher, you might want to ask someone in the band about the current guitarist, but dont expect anything really advanced, pretty much if you can read notation you're in.

~Andrew
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
rhcpcure2826
Banned
20 IQ
well... looks like the rest of my summer is learning to read music...
thanks for that help... didnt want to look like an idiot
Orange Juice
UG Newbie
11 IQ
how can i organize a bunch of lazy non caring stoned/drunk (depends on time of day) guys who cant even work together? examples:
when i try to show them something im working on, ill be dambed if the other guitar poser doesnt start playing some out of key badly played croop over me, our singer is obsessed with how much his life sucks and how people need to die. but theres is hope, my drummer,bassist,and i know that theres a problem but are not willing to kick anyone. any ideas?
if you enjoy spending time with that specialsomeone..........at least you dont smell like buttered elephant being molested by termites
UndeadPaperclip
Faithless
391 IQ
Originally posted by Orange Juice
how can i organize a bunch of lazy non caring stoned/drunk (depends on time of day) guys who cant even work together? examples:
when i try to show them something im working on, ill be dambed if the other guitar poser doesnt start playing some out of key badly played croop over me, our singer is obsessed with how much his life sucks and how people need to die. but theres is hope, my drummer,bassist,and i know that theres a problem but are not willing to kick anyone. any ideas?

quit

~Andrew
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
UG's_Pagan
Banned
56 IQ
Originally posted by rhcpcure2826
hi, im looking to play guitar in my schools jazz band... i was wondering what music teachers generally expect from their musicians as a prerequisite or something. should i be learning more about reading music, or learning chords (even though i know chords with extensions fluently), or learning more scales, or being mobile around the neck with modes, can anyone whos had prior experience tell me this.

what i suck at is reading music; i was weened on tabs since i started a few years ago... i know the notes but not RIGHT off the bat, and i certainly couldnt play a song right when i see sheet music because i suck at reading rhythms at the same time...

remember, please reply if youve had prior experience.

I played in a jazz band at my school for a while.

LEARN ALL YOUR CHORDS ALL OVER THE NECK

There rarely was a guitar melody (Longer than 3 or 4 notes) just chords in a choppy rhythm.

I'd suggest before every song, you find the melodies (And pick a place on the neck you like playing) then find all the chords in the song, and find a way to play that chord there, and then tab out the melodies.

If you can't play any chord (Including dim or aug 13'ths) at basically any place on the neck, you're gonna be ****ed.
gryftorsguitar
i salute you
31 IQ
Originally posted by Orange Juice

dont kick anybody, just take the bassist and the drummer and quit. it should be fine.
eat me.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Yeah man, power trios are the way to go.

I'd sure like to have a decent rhythm section.
Les Paul Legend
UG Newbie
10 IQ
should we kick our bassist out of our band because he has no bass he learned how to play it and is o.k. but when we are learning songs he has to spend time in practise learning the songs and slows us down so should we kick him out?!? p.s. he uses a bass our drummer owns.
I'm an unholy god!!!
imLoUsY
UG MJ fan
217 IQ
Yes. Definitely.. Unless youre just gonna mess around during jam sessions.
Epi_47
Van Halen, oh yeah!
27 IQ
I am also joining my school's jazz band this year. I can read standard notation pretty fluently in the first few positions, but will I need to be able to read music for the entire neck?
TWP_89
UG Newbie
10 IQ
Well we have pretty much figured out what to do,
We started a thing about 3 months ago at our church where we would just play aorund and try to play some songs. In the beginning I had no idea how to play guitar. Anyone who wanted to come could come. In the beginning there was 4 guitars a bass and no drummer. So me and the bass player asked one of out buddies to learn drums. So he learned how and as time progressed he and I learned to play. Well there was a camp comeing up and we were asked to play at it. So we all played.

Here's where is gets bad. I could play all the songs well but the other two guitarists kinda sucked(one guy quit). So we played the camp and sounded alright. One guy out of the other two had a crappy acoustic but no amp and the other guy barrowed an acoustic. But they atill play bad.

SO me and the bassist and the drummer are gonna start playing @ the drummers house and work on our own.

Not really a HELP ME story but it might be entertaining or comment?
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L.L
*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_
_-*-__-*-__-*-__-*-__-*-__-*-_
_|-.._|-.._|-.._|-.._|-.._|-.._|-.._|-..
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
nirvana138
UG Newbie
77 IQ
hey i just getting into this stuff and wunderin if any1 culd give me sum tips on like getting ur band going once u first start out, i got a drummer and i do guitar and vocals and i have a bassist who is one lazy idiot, any advice apreciated
Left_behind
UG's Mystery White Boy
337 IQ
Ha ha
typical bass player
Get on top of my coffin woman.
shredbeyndshred
UG Newbie
1,158 IQ
make sure drummer can keep timing and have at some cover songs
A.K.A. Titanguy
alaska_bass_kid
221 IQ
Originally posted by Left_behind
Ha ha
typical bass player

hahaha. hilarious......not
www.myspace.com/akomerta <--- my band check it out!
the official #68 member of the metal militia
Member #8 - UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
ColapseTheStage
egatSehTespaloC
10 IQ
I dunno, you're gonna need to

1) learn how to play with eachother, so learn some covers together

2)start writing origonals

3) by some good equipment
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante
25 IQ
Play together. A lot. Don't just make sure your drummer can keep time, make sure your guitarists can too, and that you can, because the crowd might not notice a couple of bum notes. They WILL notice if you play out of time.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
the most important thing is that you practice TOGETHER as much as possible so you can gel as a group. practicing by yourself is good when it comes to practicing technique but when learning songs its good to be with th band. bounce ideas off eachother and get good together. don't even think about playing out somewhere unless you guys are really tight as a band. you can NEVER "gel" together too much, its the most important thing in any band no matter what kind of music you play.
rhcpcure2826
Banned
20 IQ
make sure you can function well, otherwise admit to yourselves that theres a lack of chemistry or somethings not right.

with my first band, our writing=****. with my new band, we wrote and recorded three songs in our first three days. theres a huge difference.

so you should know when youre progressing or not, and call it quits in the unfortunate event that the latter occurs.
dirtguitar
UG Newbie
10 IQ
hi, my names mike. i am a guitarist in a band. but with my band we are having alot of trouble with two guitarest. which ever one of us is not playing rythm doesnt really know what to do. we cant solo the whole time, because it would sound like crap. and its boring to just play the same thing.

any suggestions? thanks, mike
man the **** up!

kurt cobain was murderd member #1
Ravedge
UG Freak
30 IQ
i dont see the problem... what if both play rythm and sometimes you could do a fill?
Originally posted by sgdave
no im not your trying to get wat y want go fuk your mom dats wat you want
Last edited by Ravedge at Aug 17, 2004,
saddam
Carcass
1,808 IQ
if your with two guitarists, and you're both playin the same thing, you should dump one (probably the worst one), believe me, we have the same problem, and we are gonna dump the other guitarist too!

grtz
Doneanddusted
UG Newbie
10 IQ
if its boring playing the same thing over and over again change the riff in the song and try some new things. dont just play the same things over and over again. im a rythem guitarist and if i get bored i just throw in an odd variation in the riff or some thing like that. try new things.
Uranus is a planet! Who knew.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
Have the 2nd play a chord that adds harmony to the first chord. Have him do fills and that sort of stuff.

You might want to try listening to The Jester Race by In Flames. There are some good uses of double guitarists on that album IMO.
Doneanddusted
UG Newbie
10 IQ
you and the bassist do a few practices without the drummer and get used to playing in time. pick simple songs to cover at the start. and always always get some decent equipment.
Uranus is a planet! Who knew.
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
start off with easier cover songs so you guys can get used to playing together. it sounds like you guys are trying too much too soon and getting frustrated.
dirtguitar
UG Newbie
10 IQ
these are all good suggestions, except the one about dumping the other guitarist. but alot of them we have tried and failed. we did covers for a while, which went well, but now we are trying originals, mainly because my singer refuses to sing covers.

we made some good progress today. another problem is my band has a serious addiction to ghetto N64 games.
man the **** up!

kurt cobain was murderd member #1
Mad_BOB
165 IQ
either have one guitarist play a riff while the other plays chords, or have them play the same riff but in harmony...adds to the sound, and makes you sound much more professional. hell, if theyre good enough you can do the solos in harmony, makes you sound really creative and can really add to the energy and emotion of the song
Riffmast
Sperm Of Andychrist
3,515 IQ
just play the same thing if it's a cover. If it's an oeiginal have the second guitarist make a variation.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

premiumgas
Peter The Pirate
55 IQ
i am not new to guitar or playin music but i cant seem to find ppl who i think would fit the band i want. i mean theres ppl who would work but gettin together and taking it serious would be hard do u think i should just become and amazing guitarist liek jimi or form a band
I am PETER THE PIRATE aka Iron Sam Cash 2nd Mate of The Pit Pirates ARGHHHH We will destroy all ninjas ARRRRGHHHH

#3 member of the pit pirates
giveitaname87
Pseudogenius
158 IQ
Look in columns for articles about froming a band. There's a few good ones.
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
reed
THE TREND IS OVER
348 IQ
...what? I didn't quite follow. But anyway, being in a band is a lot funner. I'm guessing that's what you asked.

If you can make it work out, do it. Even Jimi had a band.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE