i have a digi 002 and run protools
i pretty much line everything in straight because i have no signal processors or preamps.

what will make a dramatic difference in my sound?
i mostly record electric guitar and vocals
Firstly, wrong forum.

But because I like to reciprocate my knowledge of stuff that I'm currently interested in myself, I'll help you.

You need an interface as it's the most important thing.

An interface acts as an additional sound card. The stock PC sound card is designed to carry out 2 functions; 1 of which it does well. It's primary design is to transform digital audio data (the 1s and 0s) into an actual physical sound (analog sound). Kind of like a power amp increases the sound so the speakers can play it.

The stock sound card fails (and by fail, I mean it does the job horribly) when converting analog audio to digital audio. Or the transmission of what your mic is picking up and changing it to a digital data file that your computer can process.

An interface comes in by adding a preamp so that the sound coming in from the microphone can be processed a hell of a lot better. Or, essentially giving your computer it's own preamp.

Another useful tool is having a computer that can process the immense data flow that is recording.

If I were you, I would find a moderate Windows XP (or a Mac, if you have the money) and upgrade the hell out of the RAM. Delete all the programs you don't need (such as word processors, data sheets, games, paint, etc.) freeing up hard drive and RAM space.

Also, if you plan on recording drums or doing live recordings or entire band recordings, then it makes sense to invest in an interface that allows for multiple mic inputs (or buy a mixer with an interface included) that transfers the data via FireWire, not a USB drive.

Also, having a proper set of headphones (like actual proper set; studio headphones) and good monitors is a good investment.

The fact that you have ProTools is great. It's a great spectrum analyzer and it has loads of amp sims that you can use to manipulate your sound.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 22, 2009,
The 002 has built in mic preamps and XLR inputs... All you need is a mic.

I'm confused by what you want?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
He has a 002, which is a rack interface IIRC. I know the 003 is, so it should have multiple inputs.

Micing cabs will give you a much better tone than using the Line out on an amp.
Quote by littlephil
He has a 002, which is a rack interface IIRC. I know the 003 is, so it should have multiple inputs.

Micing cabs will give you a much better tone than using the Line out on an amp.

Yep. Don't know what you're using, but the SM57 is the industry standard.

Then again, if you have a lower wattage amp, then it might be worth it to invest in a proper ribbon mic.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
If I were you, I would find a moderate Windows XP (or a Mac, if you have the money)

I use Linux myself.

Also, if doing vocals - get a good mic. If you are serious about it hire something good like a
Neumann U47 for the day. It makes all the difference in the world. As they say, "shit in, shit out"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I use Linux myself.

Also, if doing vocals - get a good mic. If you are serious about it hire something good like a
Neumann U47 for the day. It makes all the difference in the world. As they say, "shit in, shit out"

Well that's an option as well, but I've never had the experience of working with Linux.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild