My family just got a HD TV and, now that we've got the TV, we're thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player. I've heard good and bad things about it. Someone I know who has it says it's better than sex. Another buddy of mine says he hates it and thinks it looks to digital.
From what I've seen in stores, it definitely looks more digital looking, almost fake looking, but I've also seen it look very, very good.
What are the pit's opinions on Blu-Ray? Is it really the best way to watch movies, or is it overrated?
Quote by skaterskagg1
My family just got a HD TV and, now that we've got the TV, we're thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player. I've heard good and bad things about it. Someone I know who has it says it's better than sex. Another buddy of mine says he hates it and thinks it looks to digital.
From what I've seen in stores, it definitely looks more digital looking, almost fake looking, but I've also seen it look very, very good.
What are the pit's opinions on Blu-Ray? Is it really the best way to watch movies, or is it overrated?

It sounds likes micsroschips
its not a big deal. for about 5 minutes you go "ZOMG DUR PICTURE IS FANTURSTIC!!!11!!!1"

then u realize its just a movie. ill stick to my dvd/vhs player
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
It is good, but also depends on what type of TV you have. Blu-ray + really good TV = brilliant.
RIP Tom Searle.
It can be if you have it set up right. With a high resolution TV in full 1080 and an HDMI cord it will look absolutely fantastic. On just a Big Screen TV in "True High Def" then it will only be a slight improvement. It's worth the extra money if you have extra money to spare.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by MH400
It is good, but also depends on what type of TV you have. Blu-ray + really good TV = brilliant.

It's a really good TV.
instead of blu ray player get a ps3 thats an investment in your entertainment
If you have HD tv and home theater system its amazing. One thing I never see said about Blu-rays is that if you have a sound system, the audio is a much higher quality then a normal dvd.
Your friend said it looks too digital?

That's not possible, the video and audio are uncompressed.
If you have a really good tv and surround sound then I think it's worth it. Just make sure to run it HDMI. I think it's pretty amazing, it just depends on the movie really. Oh, and the movies are a little bit more expensive also.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
I dont see it as being good enough to spend the money on.
No way is it as good as the jump from VHS to DVD
Ive heard its going to be phased out pretty quick too
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Since you already have a great TV, I'd say it's essential. You should definitely take advantage of the hardware. It looks and sounds astounding.

As mentioned before, make sure you get an HDMI cable with it to ensure that you're getting the best quality possible.

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning that Blu-Ray players can also play DVDs. You won't have to re-buy any films already in your collection. They also increase the video quality of said DVDs.
Last edited by Samdroid at Dec 22, 2009,
Blu-Ray on an LCD looks nice, better than DVD on an SD. But, the thing is, Blu-Ray on a Plasma with Color Enhancer and Dynamic Contrast... omg... it looks surreal. I cannot watch movies at my friend Matt's house because it is just mind blowing. Everything looks... either faster (smoother) or fake (like all backgrounds are green screened). The only thing I really watch at his house is Entourage and I've never seen it SD or regular HD.

It happens with majority of HD things, but some things on this TV are like SuperHD or something (SHD? XD? haha). I don't really know how to explain this.

What makes Blu-Ray different? The laser is blue! (In simplest terms). Basically it is just that the laser is finer and can read more information faster (the physics of lasers.. when I first was told this /realised, I went, "Oh, so knowledge of color theory can pay out in the long run." Hm.)

blah blah, TL;DR Blu-Ray is cool I guess. What is mind blowing is a super duper fancy TV.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
As another guy above said, if you're thinking of getting a BluRay player, get a PS3 instead. It's gonna cost pretty much the same thing (hell, it may even cost less) and you'll have a way better investment in the long run.

And please, don't get fooled by the guy at the store trying to sell you a 90$ HDMI cable. The 10$ ones from MonoPrice.com do exactly the same job...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
High Def gaming = win.

Oh God yes. I'm going to have to wear a condom when playing FFXIII, otherwise I'll jizz everywhere.

OT- Do it. The improvement is huge IMO.
The only way to fully enjoy a bluray movie is to play it on a Full HD (1080p, not 1080i) capable TV.
Playing DVD in a bluray player is a great option since most of them should be able to upscale the DVD resolution to HD. I tried a few and was quite happy with them.

And about the cable. The quality matters most when the signal is analog. Since HDMI/DVI are fully digital they should not really matter. If you have the player close to the TV then i suggest to go with the cheaper one (not too cheap, though)
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Dec 22, 2009,
A blu-ray dvd player isn't that much but the DVDs are like 50 each.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope

50 what?
They're usually £15-£20 here.
Quote by Joemofo
50 what?

Actually, now that I did some price checking, it seems the prices vary, and TV shows are a bit more, which was my case.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
UMMM...Yes
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
Quote by Gyroscope

Average price for a Blu-ray movie is $29.99. That's still pretty expensive, but I consider it worth it for certain movies. There are certain things I couldn't imagine NOT having on Blu-ray.

*orgasms at the thought of Planet Earth in full high-def*

edit:

Oh, and Pixar movies look incredible in Blu-ray. Get Wall-E. Get it nao.
Last edited by happytimeharry at Dec 22, 2009,
^ Average cost on amazon.com is $20.

It really depends. I have a 55" 1080p TV, so Blu-Ray looks substantially better than regular format DVDs, even upscaled. I also think the picture from a Blu-Ray disc looks livelier. I won't watch an action or visuals-based movie on a regular DVD again.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Joemofo
50 what?

The Blu-Ray discs are usually around $30-$35 USD. I've only bought a few BR discs, I rent them from Netflix mostly.

But Blu-Ray's on HDTV's does look nice. The BR players upconvert regular DVD's to near HD quality and BR stuff looks awesome.

Looking back, I wish I would have bought the PS3 instead.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Freddedonna
if you're thinking of getting a BluRay player, get a PS3 instead. It's gonna cost pretty much the same thing (hell, it may even cost less) and you'll have a way better investment in the long run.

And please, don't get fooled by the guy at the store trying to sell you a 90$ HDMI cable. The 10$ ones from MonoPrice.com do exactly the same job...

+1000
Quote by think11270
Your friend said it looks too digital?

That's not possible, the video and audio are uncompressed.
If you have a really good tv and surround sound then I think it's worth it. Just make sure to run it HDMI. I think it's pretty amazing, it just depends on the movie really. Oh, and the movies are a little bit more expensive also.

nah it really can look digital, seeing as all our lives we've become accustomed to watching it on a planar surface (since that's all that was available) and when it's uncompressed it seems to pop out, which almost looks fake since it's something new.

(this is similar to a shooting technique in photography called HDR)
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
It is worth it, but as people have said already- the PS3 is the best value for money when going for it.
Some films are just so much better in Full High Definition, plus its not as if you cant still watch your dvd collection as BR players/PS3 play and upscale DVDs.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by DempseyPunk
its not a big deal. for about 5 minutes you go "ZOMG DUR PICTURE IS FANTURSTIC!!!11!!!1"

then u realize its just a movie. ill stick to my dvd/vhs player

nah.

HD shows and movies make me pay way more attention. If the quality is shitty, you might even miss stuff because you can't even see it. I love HD
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
No way, I don't like that digital, crystal-clear, high-definition crap. I'll stick to my laserdisc player, thank you very much.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I work with home cinema equipment pretty much every day. Here's the shizznit:

1) Blu Ray looks f*cking fantastic. Period

2) Good Blu Ray players, like the Sony BDPS360 upscales your DVDs to 1080p. Making your DVDs look nearly f*cking fantastic. Period.

3) Things may look digital. If you have a 200Hz television. Then again, that's to your own taste. It'll either look digital, or f*cking fantastic. Period.

4) Cables make all the difference. Do yourself a favour and get a GOOD (read: £50+) HDMI cable, like QED HDMI cables. If you're a videophile, get a Van den Hul HDMI Flat. It'll make the picture and sound f*cking fantastic. Period.
I just got one and I must say its a bit overhyped but the movies do look way better. To really see the difference you have to get an animated,action or a movie with a lot of CGI. Id say get it because in a few years Blu-Ray will be the only way movies are released. DVDs will be long gone.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!