I went to guitar center to buy a Pod X3 but they were sold out. Me being stupid, I bought the Line 6 Pod 2.0 instead before really looking into it because I was way too eager to get some new equipment(all i have is a peavy vypyr 15watt). After unboxing it, I realized it has no USB direct recording. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a 1/4" to 1/8" cable to connect my pod to my CPU. So my connection will look like this

Guitar>Pod2.0>CPU

Anyway, I have heard that this connection causes a lot of hum and latency. Does anyone know how bad it really is? Will my tone sound like crap? Are there any other ways I can go around connecting my Pod 2.0 to my computer?
Last edited by MarkLovesObama at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by MarkLovesObama
I went to guitar center to buy a Pod X3 but they were sold out. Me being stupid, I bought the Line 6 Pod 2.0 instead before really looking into it because I was way too eager to get some new equipment(all i have is a peavy vypyr 15watt). After unboxing it, I realized it has no USB direct recording. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a 1/4" to 1/8" cable to connect my pod to my CPU. So my connection will look like this

Guitar>Pod2.0>CPU

Anyway, I have heard that this connection causes a lot of hum and latency. Does anyone know how bad it really is? Will my tone sound like crap? Are there any other ways I can go around connecting my Pod 2.0 to my computer?

Not an expert, but I think that latency is caused by several factors.

Firstly, not having a proper interface will mess up your recording.

Not having enough processing power will mess your recording up.

Not having proper cables will mess your recording up.

You can compensate for it by adjusting the delay on the recording software.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I don't know how big difference there is between my Pod X3 live and the 2.0. But when I connect it 1/4 to 1/8 into the soundcard of my computer (to practice at home, when rehearsing I connect it directly to the PA through a power amp) and that doesn't give me any latency or unwanted hum.

It doesn't sound exactly as it does in the PA, but that's just minor tweaking with the settings and EQ later. No problems for me in other words.
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
I get zero latency when listening to or recording my Pocket POD -1/8"-> laptop mic in. The POD does all the processing, so what it puts into the mic in or line in is what gets recorded.

Latency is an issue when the computer is modelling the amp. When the processing is being done outboard, on the device, there's nothing going on to cause latency.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Dec 22, 2009,
You could take it back stating you were told by a random member of staff it did do usb recording and since it doesn't it was mis-sold and therefore you want a full refund. If they challenge your statement then bring out the old fave "Sir, are you calling me a liar!"

Then get what you went into buy in the first place.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso