Came across this on youtube. Incredible how much we still don't know about the great mayan civilization. Wouldn't be surprised if in the next coming years more discoveries are made about their astronomy and math. There are probably other amazing places around the world also waiting to be discovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voY8jNcuGe8

there are some more videos in the 'more info'. Funny how we can't build a simple road without potholes, but these guys made buildings that have lasted 2300+ years.
That's pretty impressive indeed. I'm always amazed at how advanced such civilizations were. Apparently, the city of Mirador reached its peak between the 3rd and the 1st century BCE, which is quite remarkable.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Did anyone else see at 0:50 of that video? "Kanye West gets community service in paparazzi scuffle"?

Anyway, I currently have no audio right now, so this might not be a good question, but was that whole thing undiscovered until now? That's pretty amazing if it was.
Quote by denfilade
Did anyone else see at 0:50 of that video? "Kanye West gets community service in paparazzi scuffle"?

Anyway, I currently have no audio right now, so this might not be a good question, but was that whole thing undiscovered until now? That's pretty amazing if it was.

It has been since the 1920s or 1930s, but wasn't properly visited and searched until the middle of last year. They estimate the main pyramid to be 172 meters high, and based on its volume it is one of the largest ancient structures ever found. The city probably had up to 100,000 inhabitants at its peak.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Nah, I don't think they were necessarily promoting any of that 2012 bullsh*t. It's a legitimate archaeological find and they're just trying to bring attention to saving that entire area. And lets not turn this thread into a discussion of any New Age Voodoo Mysticism garbage, keep it to only real archaeology.

I found a better picture of the frieze/art carving. How kickass is this carving for being 2300 years old?

Sweet. I chose Mayan History/Culture for a research paper in English.

They are ****ing amazing, and I can read Mayan numbers now. They also basically understood how the entire Universe works.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Including an aerial image of the pyramid as it appears covered in jungle, and also a superimposed image of the Mirador complex on the other famous mayan city of Tikal so you can see the huge size difference.

All I care about is the female reporter IS HOT!!!
That's all that matters.

Besides, I could care less about an Ancient people I can't trace my root back to.
OTOH, the Mayans were pretty Metal; they did kill 1000s of people on top of those pyramids. /end Metalocalypse joke
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 23, 2009,