what is the best way to mix distorted guitar in protools?

i want it to sound clear and powerful. i recorded with a line in from my marshall mg1000hdfx head with a gibson sg.

what are the best settings for equalization, compression, etc.?

and what should i do to it. please be descriptive. and ONLY reply if you know what you are talking about

i want the guitar to sound these bands (just to give you an idea):
a day to remember
circa survive
blink 182
set your goals (newest album)
If you can get a good tone out of that amp (and that's a big if, as the Marshall MG line has a very bad reputation) then you should focus on getting the sound the way you like it with the amp, and then record it as true to life as possible.

Get a microphone and put it in front of your amp to record. Most line-outs simply output the signal after the preamp, which leaves most of the character producing parts of the amplifier (power amp, speaker(s)) completely out of the process. This means that what you hear and what you record are two different things.

If you do it right you shouldn't need any EQ, but you can if you want to. Add compression to taste, but please, be gentle. You may or may not wish to add reverb settings since the microphone likely isn't getting much (or any) of the room's natural reverb.
i know its a shitty head, but the topic is asking how i can make it sound good with what i have.

i KNOW i need to compress. im asking for specific settings that will be helpful
Quote by ATL_aftermath
i know its a shitty head, but the topic is asking how i can make it sound good with what i have.

i KNOW i need to compress. im asking for specific settings that will be helpful

-you really, really can't polish a turd man, the source is everything.

-distorted guitar is compressed enough already, further compression usually ruins it.
Here is a four step program to making a better guitar sound:

1. Throw amp head away
2. Visit the stickied topic on Amp Sims (though most are VST which doesn't work in Pro Tools, you can DL a trial of Pod Farm and use that)
3. ????
4. Profit

Quote by ATL_aftermath
blink 182

I'll throw this in as a little extra, Tom likes to use a mixture of 2 or 3 different heads/combos to get his sound. Pretty much everything from Enema on is him recording with a Mesa Dual Rec & a Marshall JCM 900 together and mixing the sound into what he gets. For Angels & Airwaves & the Blink 182 Reunion Tour, he uses 2 Vox AC-30s and 2 Fender Deluxe/Twin Reverbs.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
well i'm not here to bash anything you have, so i guess i'm the odd one out...

i cant give you any magic settings to make your recordings sound crazy awesome. if there was a "these settings make even the worst takes sound crazy awesome" button, every engineer would be out of a job. it all changes depending on you, your playing, your guitar, your amp, your cab, your effects, your mic, your preamp, your room, your song, your other instruments, the rest of your mix, etc...

i'd take it really easy on compression. as was said before, distorted guitars dont need a whole lot. EQ it as best you can, but again, it's up to your ears. you know what you want and what you have, we dont.

if it's a rhythm line, you can try the trick of recording it twice (do NOT just copy and paste) and pan one hard right and one hard left.
Quote by ATL_aftermath
i recorded with a line in from my marshall mg1000hdfx head with a gibson sg.
/

If you're doing this it doesn't matter what you try in ProTools, your sound will suck.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
oh **** i didn't see that you were running line in, alright if you are going line in, just use TL_SPACE from protools. if you don't have that you can't use convolution reverbs. :| aka cab impulses but if you do go ahead and download some impulses. i really like mine and load them into your impulse loader it should sound a **** ton better

http://catharsis.supremepixels.com/impulses/ get the fredman zip
i downloaded the impulses but i have no idea what they are or what you do with them. please explain