I'm looking at one of these amps, hopefully going to try it out soon, but first i thought i'd ask a couple questions

1) anyone have this amp? thoughts on it?
2) will it get me in the BALLPARK (i know they all play different amps then mesa, i want ballpark, not exact sound) of zeppelin, big wreck, buckcherry, alice in chains?
3) how often do you go thru tubes?
4) i'm gonna get a 2x12 cab for it, any recommendations?

thanks!

i think thats all my questions for now
3) I'd say once a year. It all depends on when you get really fed up with old tubes. And how much you play, of course.

4)Avatar is the best value you're going to get. Either that, or if you have the money a framus cab - either never played one but I hear good things about them and they're becoming increasingly popular.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
I have this amp and i really love it! I like it better than the dual...but thats just me. Unlike a lot of people think, they are pretty versatile. I love the pushed mode on my clean channel. I use an EQ and a boost to sometimes thight it up and this amp really sounds great. You'd probably want to get a cab with some V30s in it too but again, thats more a matter of taste.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by sweet_inc
I'm looking at one of these amps, hopefully going to try it out soon, but first i thought i'd ask a couple questions

2) will it get me in the BALLPARK (i know they all play different amps then mesa, i want ballpark, not exact sound) of zeppelin, big wreck, buckcherry, alice in chains?

thanks!

1) I've used it but never owned one. I think they're the least good sounding of the Rectos due to lack of power amp gumption, but they're not a horrible amp. They sound pretty good and cover a lot of territory and are pretty reliable.
2) Sure, in the ballpark. It's got plenty of distortion for all those
3) Typically power amp tubes about once a year on average, preamp tubes can last a long time until they go. Just depends on how lucky you get.
4) Avatar closed back 2x12 with V30s. Rectos like V30s.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by sweet_inc

thanks!

1) Have it. Love it. Not as "big" sounding as the Duals or Triples but still a great sounding amp.
1) I'd say it could get you in the ballpark of those bands. There are a lot of options with the modes and EQ.
3) I replace mine about once every 3 years or so. Oddly enough, the tube that always seems to go on mine is the phase inverter.
4) Anything loaded with V30s. Especially the Recto 2x12.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by sweet_inc
how does it handle downtuned stuff...i play a lot of open G, and a whole step down...will it handle this?
does it get the same chug kinda sound as its bigger siblings?

Oh, totally. My old band did a lot of stuff in C# and it worked great for that.

It's not as big sounding as the Duals or Triples. But it's still pretty massive sounding and has the Recto sound. While my Triple is my main gigging amp, the Single still goes to the smaller shows where 150 watts is just too much and it delivers just as much as its big brother.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by sweet_inc
what does everyone mean "it doesn't sound as big"?

so with all the options and modes...i should be able to do classic rock to modern rock with no problem?

The dual and triple are louder(100 and 150 watter). With the single recto, you wont get that "big" sound. Like i said before, the single is much thighter to my ears and than the two others. And yes you will be able to do classic rock to modern rock. Just don't forget the "pushed" and "raw" mode. They are awesome.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'd like to know as well - I'd love a rectoverb, but I'm worried it won't get me in the zone for zeppelin and hendrix

The pushed and raw modes should get you what you want.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by AmericanParadox
Like i said before, the single is much thighter to my ears and than the two others.

It depends what models you are talking about. The Series II Single is tighter that the 3 channel Dual/Triples. But my 2 channel Triple is tighter than my Single. I hear the Series Is are supposed to be better than the IIs, but I haven't played one so I can't say for sure.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by sweet_inc
what does everyone mean "it doesn't sound as big"?

so with all the options and modes...i should be able to do classic rock to modern rock with no problem?

The Single doesn't have as much thump to it as the Dual or Triples do. That being is said it still has that massive low-mid sound too it and it is still very much a Recto.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15