hey guys,new here. i have been playing for about 11 monthes and have learned alot.i got the basics down but i love to solo so i am wondering if there is any thing i can do to get faster at playing solos and im also wondering if you guys have any tips for doing "freestyle solos" if that makes any sence to yall.thanks

-kenny
For getting faster, I'm sure you will hear it a million times on here but it's extremely important and you'll need it if you ever decide to start recording. PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME I can't stress that enough. As well as practice your techniques for example, legato, tapping, speed picking, tremolo picking, sweep picking (if you use it), and so on. I'm not exactly sure what freestyle soloing is but if it's what I think it is. Then basically throw all scales out the window (not all the time, just for freestyle) and play what sounds good.

There's more but I don't wanna type out like a book for you. So I'll let the other guys mention that stuff.
For freestyle soloing I think he means 80's hair metal-type- the ones they do in the middle or end of a show. If so, you really just need to know your scales, keys, modes, and other theory matter to make something good to come out. Always remember to feel and care for it though; the key to sounding good.

So, practice on a metronome like he said. Take your scales and practice a lot of random nonsense with a good technique; you're sure to improve.
Speed is basically a byproduct of coordination, accuracy and economy of motion - which you develop by playing everything at a slow enough speed that you can play it cleanly and accurately.

There are loads of threads on freestyle soloing that will give much better advice than I can - try sticking 'improv' or 'improvisation' into the searchbar
Quote by kparton90
hey guys,new here. i have been playing for about 11 monthes and have learned alot.i got the basics down but i love to solo so i am wondering if there is any thing i can do to get faster at playing solos and im also wondering if you guys have any tips for doing "freestyle solos" if that makes any sence to yall.thanks

-kenny

Faster, use a metronome when practicing. Speed is a byproduct of accurate and graduated practice. Its also muscle training and muscle memory.

Tips for freestyle solos - I'm assuming that you mean improvising. There are a lot of them. Study Call and Response playing, and Variations on a theme. Get jam tracks and background tracks, and practice improvising against them.

Of course you say you have the "basics" down so that means you know how to use scales and chords together right? You can look at a scale and you know what chords to play behind it, and vice versa.

Good luck man.