Hi guys,

I just had my birthday and I am on the lookout for an acoustic guitar.
I have little experience with them ( I do have a classical guitar and 2 electrics though), and I'm looking for one for under 500 euros. Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

EDIT: the style I will be playing most is fingerstyle stuff.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Last edited by constructbot at Dec 22, 2009,
seagull original s6 - a slightly wider neck that is very nice for fingerpicking. great build, good sound, nice semi gloss finish. http://www.thomann.de/gb/seagull_s6_the_original.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ls6.htm
haven't tried one of these, but have heard a LOT of good things about it. the 1 3/4 nut is nice for fingerpickers, and yamaha is a consistent brand.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/guild_gad_m20_nat.htm
a little smaller body, all solid, sounds nice if you like mahogany. nice short scale for comfort, 1 3/4 nut.
Quote by patticake
seagull original s6 - a slightly wider neck that is very nice for fingerpicking. great build, good sound, nice semi gloss finish. http://www.thomann.de/gb/seagull_s6_the_original.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ls6.htm
haven't tried one of these, but have heard a LOT of good things about it. the 1 3/4 nut is nice for fingerpickers, and yamaha is a consistent brand.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/guild_gad_m20_nat.htm
a little smaller body, all solid, sounds nice if you like mahogany. nice short scale for comfort, 1 3/4 nut.

Thanks for your reply, the guild is listed under folk guitars? what is that?
the Yamaha looks great, is it a beginner guitar?
I've been checking out epiphone masterbilts, any thoughts on that?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
the yamaha is not a beginner's guitar. the "folk" appellation regards size, not tone.

i'm not a fan of epiphone masterbilts myself, although others here are. i don't find the sound all that good myself, nor am i thrilled with the build or finish quality on some of the ones i've seen ion person. also i've seen a couple with issues that i've read about in many other places. you may like them.

Quote by constructbot
Thanks for your reply, the guild is listed under folk guitars? what is that?
the Yamaha looks great, is it a beginner guitar?
I've been checking out epiphone masterbilts, any thoughts on that?
Quote by patticake
the yamaha is not a beginner's guitar. the "folk" appellation regards size, not tone.

i'm not a fan of epiphone masterbilts myself, although others here are. i don't find the sound all that good myself, nor am i thrilled with the build or finish quality on some of the ones i've seen ion person. also i've seen a couple with issues that i've read about in many other places. you may like them.

I see, since I won't be able to check the masterbilts out from where I live I'll probably let those pass.
Will the seagull do stuff like Andy Mckee, Andy Dufour and Ulli Bögershausen well?
also, do those guitars have nice bass response?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by obeythepenguin
I see no reason why not. I think mostly it depends on if you can do it well

touché lol.

Quote by obeythepenguin
The Seagull does, yes; it's not boomy like a Martin, but it's a good, warm bass tone that works nicely for fingerpicking. That said, I'm more used to their Entourage model, which has a slightly darker sound than the S6 Original -- also a fine guitar, by the way (the Entourage), but the narrow neck and nearly-flat radius make it much harder to fingerpick.

As far as bass response, Yamaha tend to be pretty run-of-the-mill: Not tinny, but nothing that really stands out, either. At least, that's my experience with the ones I've played. I haven't played that particular one either, so I'll refrain from passing judgment.

So the s6 would be good?
Also, if I would get a masterbilt, it would have a full solid body opposed to just the solid top on the yamaha and seagull, would this make such a difference?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by obeythepenguin
You'd have to play it and decide for yourself.

Not really. There is some improvement with solid back and sides, but not as much as with the top. Anyway, Seagull and Yamaha use a very high-quality laminate, compared to the cheap plywood many other companies use -- and a well-built laminate instrument can sound better than a poorly-built solid wood one. (Just generally speaking; nothing against Epiphone. The Masterbilts I've played were quite nice.)

thanks, this means I don't have to fear I miss out on something because of the laminated sides.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Hi all, just went to my local guitar shop and tested 2 Tanglewood guitars( they practically only sell Tanglewood acoustics) and I just wanted to know, what are your opinions on them? Would I be better off with a Seagull or a Masterbilt?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
i've never seen a tanglewood, but i've heard only good things about them -often on this board. of course, they may have an entry level guitar with a laminate top, but you can research that before you check 'em out again. don't take the sales person's word for it - they are often wrong.

btw, i own a seagull s6 and if you're looking for lots of bass, imo you won't find it. the bass that it does have is clear and defined, but there's not as much in my s6 as most blueridge and martins. the seagull mini jumbos have more.
okay, so out of all the named guitars, which one would you guys find most suitable for fingerpicking á la ulli bögershausen, andy mckee and perhaps even something like ocean by the john butler trio?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
please, I'm heading to some shops monday or tuesday so I would love to know it now, thanks!
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I just came home with a beautiful guitar, a yamaha fg730s, now this wasn't what I wanted at first but I played it and liked it, and then heard it cost only 200 euro's + a new set of martin strings free! while it has a retail price of 333 euro's! I compared it to the seagull too, while I loved that one I thought the difference wasn't worth 200 euro's. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help!
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700