Hey Everybody!!

I read a bunch of threads to find answers to my questions and avoid to ask the same questions but I still need some help...
I'm a newbie and I'm about to buy my first electric guitar. I'm looking for something versatile, easy to play with a stoptail bridge (something I won't need to tune everytime I touch it...). i would like to learn how to play some soft rock, rock, blues and jazz (if possible...) Eric Clapton, Guns, The Strokes, White stripes...
I can go up to 350usd 400max for the guitar. I was thinking about a CORT M200 (reviews on this guitar are crazy, almost too good to be true!), Yamaha Pacifica 112 or Ibanez RG350EX. Please let me know if you have any other ideas!

Now for the Amp...I read some good stuff about the Roland cube/ micro cube or a Line6 Spider2.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!
i would go for the ibanez, pacifica is a good start as well.
stay away from line6 amps.
Last edited by J.J.G. at Dec 22, 2009,
I wouldnt get the ibanez (i have an ibanez RG) although they are brilliant, theyre not for what you want to play, they're more metal orientated. I dont really kno about the other guitars, but Id recommend a 'vintage' check them out either the SG or les paul styles, they're cheap and very good and reliable (im only talking from personal experience).

Rolands are good, also check out laneys. the spiders are fun for a first amp although it can never reach a really good tone for any music (once again personal experience) but they have lots of effects so when you get more into electric guitar you will know what sound you want and will be able to buy an amp tailored for it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I'd recommend a strat for those genres (possibly with H-S-S pickups) I've heard good things about the rolands but everyone seems to hate the spider
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
For the guitar, I'd stay away from Ibanez unless you want to play heavy metal. For the styles of music you mentioned, something with single coils might be good, although humbuckers would be fine as well. I wish I could give you some examples, but I don't really know what guitars they sell in France.
The Roland cube is a decent amp, but don't get Line 6, seriously. Personally I don't like digital amps, but they work for some people I suppose.

Sorry I couldnt be a bigger help...
I'd recomment a strat aswell... I think a MiM fender HSS strat is in your price range and fitting for your needs, not too sure though
Pacifica 112 all the way, brilliant first guitar. Get the Microcube though, it's pretty much plug in and play which is what you need at the start, plus when the time comes to get something bigger you've still got a handy little battery amp you can use.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by J.J.G.
i would go for the ibanez, pacifica is a good start as well.
stay away from line6 amps.

By telling him this, you're basically telling him to skip a Flextone if he were to see one used.

Get off the bandwagon, and form your own opinions. Only the SS Spiders suck. Line 6 doesn't suck as a whole.
Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Roland Cube.

The guitar is very reliable, the other guitar player of my band has one, and she totally abuses it during rehearsals and gigs... And she never had a single problem with her Pacifica. Ever.

Stay away from the Line 6 Spider. Really.
The Roland Cube is extremely versatile, has a nice tone, and effects that you can mess around with.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Wow!!! Thank you so much for the advices!!! That was FAST!! I live in Paris but I'm half Japanese so I can get guitars from Japan too so any advice will do for me, THANX!

So nobody thinks the CORT M200 is a good guitar?..... Good thing I asked..

I'll stay away from the Ibanez!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

By telling him this, you're basically telling him to skip a Flextone if he were to see one used.

Get off the bandwagon, and form your own opinions. Only the SS Spiders suck. Line 6 doesn't suck as a whole.

its funny how almost noone ever acknowledges that. But not to turn this into an argument...

Ibanez is gonna lean more towards metal as already stated. Whatever you get, i would recommend an HSS configuration because it will give you a wider range of tones... then again if you can find something HSH in your price range you may wanna check it out. As for an amp, the roland Cubes are nice, though i would go for the Cube15 (or whatever the one above the micro is) because then when you start playing with other people you wont immediately have to worry about a new amp. The Rolands sound really good though, much better than a spider.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Are you willing to go used? If YES then I recommend checking out craiglist & ebay. A lot of awesome stuff shows up on it occasionally. So you might like to keep an eye out for it.
I also recommend a strat with HSS pickup config as well. The Pacifica is good too.
For the amp, try staying away from MG & Line 6 Spider amps. The MG cause its expensive & there are better options out there for the same money, Line6 cause they tend to sound digital alot after sometime(the reason people flame it out here). The Roland Cube will do well for your first pratice amp & it should be cheap too. The Laney LX series are also good practice amps.
Also the Vox Amplugs are awesome too if you are looking for a portable pocket sized amp that sounds good with headphones or even when plugged to an external speaker system. These are ideal for practicing alone though but yet have a really good sound to them not sure if you can run pedals through them though, anyways check them out if you can.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

This is true, flextone is better than their spider amps!
Quote by dahelunover
Are you willing to go used? If YES then I recommend checking out craiglist & ebay. A lot of awesome stuff shows up on it occasionally. So you might like to keep an eye out for it.
I!

I rather go for something new but thanks for the ADVICE !!

The Pacifica or a Strat is what comes out the most. Any Strat in particular that you guys would recommend me? (If you have the full reference, it would help me a lot for the research )

THANK YOU!!
I don't know anybody who plays the guitar around me and people who came to Paris before will understand, service SUCKS in this country!! Hard to find some help here...
For the guitar id check out Vintage - good, solid guitars for low prices. The Pacifica is also great as a starter, you cant really go wrong with a 112, so id recommend this.

As far as amps go, check out the Vox Valvetronix VT range. Im not just saying this because i have one, for the styles you want to play it would be perfect. As long as you dont want to play metal, the VT is probably the best amp in its range...

Good luck!!
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Last edited by barfrog at Dec 22, 2009,
Another vote for the pacifica. Being an HSS means it will be very versatile sound wise and you can play virtually any style of music with it. Yamaha's tend to have the best quality at the lower price points from my experience as well.

As this will be your first guitar I can't stress strongly enough that you should take it to a shop for a basic setup.
Quote by barfrog
For the guitar id check out Vintage - good, solid guitars for low prices. The Pacifica is also great as a starter, you cant really go wrong with a 112, so id recommend this.

As far as amps go, check out the Vox Valvetronix VT range. Im not just saying this because i have one, for the styles you want to play it would be perfect. As long as you dont want to play metal, the VT is probably the best amp in its range...

Good luck!!

Never say never but metal isn't for me so I'll def check out the amp you recommended me!

Thanks a lot!!!
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by Happa
Never say never but metal isn't for me so I'll def check out the amp you recommended me!

Thanks a lot!!!

If you decide later that you wanna play a bit of metal, just go out and buy an overdrive/distortion pedal. But like i said, for the styles youve listed, the VT will definitely have you covered
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

im not saying to avoid line6 as a whole, i have a line6 pod myself.
yes, you have a point on the flextone, i was generally thinking about the spiders II, III and IV series.
I would also not encourage him to get any of the variax guitars, i dont really think that MIDI based guitars are suitable for begginers.
Quote by jeffc313

Thank you!!! I'm a bit scared to buy a guitar without a stoptail bridge though... The Pacifica has a tremolo bridge but people say it stays tuned.

What do you guys think?

MERCI
as long as its not a Floyd Rose or similar, you won't have much trouble the Pacifica has a vintage (strat style) bridge and is not difficult to manage.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
i noticed that you wanted to know more about the cort m200 right?
for the stiles you play i dont think that it will compare with anykind of guitar like a (h-s-s) strat.
they are made in indonesia, bolt-on, cort pickups, tune-o-matic....nothing unusual in here.
Now, i have heard (no personal experience i would advise you to confirm this yourself) that this one lacks the punch that it was suposed to deliver on the bridge and the neck pickup is just too muddy.
I recon that cort had an explosion of good affordable guitars back in 07 but for what you play you rather check out somthing like an HSS.
I still think that the ibanez is not that incapable but i wont start THAT discussion again.
i would seriously think about getting he pacifica.
Quote by jeffc313
as long as its not a Floyd Rose or similar, you won't have much trouble the Pacifica has a vintage (strat style) bridge and is not difficult to manage.

Ok!!!! I had no Idea Thanx!! So any vintage (strat style) bridge should be ok? Or is it just for the Pacifica ?
Quote by jeffc313

Floating or fulcrum tremolos are usually troublesome when it comes to staying in tune. Floyd Rose is usually troublesome when trying to string your guitar & for setting up, but it does offer better stability for staying in tune if you abuse the whammy bar alot.
Quote by J.J.G.
i noticed that you wanted to know more about the cort m200 right?
for the stiles you play i dont think that it will compare with anykind of guitar like a (h-s-s) strat.
they are made in indonesia, bolt-on, cort pickups, tune-o-matic....nothing unusual in here.
Now, i have heard (no personal experience i would advise you to confirm this yourself) that this one lacks the punch that it was suposed to deliver on the bridge and the neck pickup is just too muddy.
I recon that cort had an explosion of good affordable guitars back in 07 but for what you play you rather check out somthing like an HSS.
I still think that the ibanez is not that incapable but i wont start THAT discussion again.
i would seriously think about getting he pacifica.

Yeah Finally some info on the CORT!! lol That's gonna help me a lot thank you very much!!
I really appreciate all the help... You guys are awesome!!! Thank you so much!!
As far as the Pacifica goes, itll stay in tune forever despite the floating bridge, unless you go mad on the tremolo...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

get a roland cube amp. cheap. sounds great. it's small. i can guarantee youll be happy.
Last edited by zillafan74 at Dec 22, 2009,
I have a fender strat mim and i play a lot of that music with my vox vt30 and the strat feels and sounds amazing. from personal experience get a HSS fender strat. It will get good distortion and also very nice cleans. Stay away from the line 6 and go with the roland for sure. Or even look into a vox vt15. They are very nive amps.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by LTD-F-250
I have a fender strat mim and i play a lot of that music with my vox vt30 and the strat feels and sounds amazing. from personal experience get a HSS fender strat. It will get good distortion and also very nice cleans. Stay away from the line 6 and go with the roland for sure. Or even look into a vox vt15. They are very nive amps.

+1

I tried the Vox VT15, it's got lots of nice sounds. Whoever said it can't do metal is wrong. It can do metal, but not br00t4lZ

edit: on these forums if you say metal they'll automatically understand br00t4lz. That's one thing that gets on my nerves here...
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Last edited by zomghax at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by LTD-F-250

A alot of people recommended me a fender strat but I never tried one before... HOw's the neck? Easy to play?
I really like the flat, thin neck of the Ibanez but it's not recommended for what I wanna play...

Thanx for the advice barfrog!!!!!
Quote by steven seagull
Pacifica 112 all the way, brilliant first guitar. Get the Microcube though, it's pretty much plug in and play which is what you need at the start, plus when the time comes to get something bigger you've still got a handy little battery amp you can use.

+1. Check out the new Pacifica 112v's they look very nice. You should look into Vox amps...the Da5 if you want a portable one or the Valvetronix series (Vox VT15 is a good start), they're excellent practice amps.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Quote by Happa
A alot of people recommended me a fender strat but I never tried one before... HOw's the neck? Easy to play?
I really like the flat, thin neck of the Ibanez but it's not recommended for what I wanna play...

Thanx for the advice barfrog!!!!!

In my eyes that "it's not recommended for what i wanna play" makes no sense. If it feels good to you, why shouldn't it be good for what you play? It all comes down to personal preference in the end.
I just found you this on sale...

http://www.edmondmusicinc.com/servlet/the-112/Ibanez-SZ520QM-Electric-Guitar/Detail

IMO Thats a good versatile instrument that could potentially last you a lifetime, easy to play too due to the scale and neck. People sometimes forget ibanez make things other than RG's

Failing that an Ibanez SA series may be fitting also. Bodies are definately comfortable!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
I just found you this on sale...

http://www.edmondmusicinc.com/servlet/the-112/Ibanez-SZ520QM-Electric-Guitar/Detail

IMO Thats a good versatile instrument that could potentially last you a lifetime, easy to play too due to the scale and neck. People sometimes forget ibanez make things other than RG's

Failing that an Ibanez SA series may be fitting also. Bodies are definately comfortable!

WoW! Thanx it looks really nice!!