Hello, I feel like a noob asking this, but the 11th fret on my Epiphone Prophecy EX on the 4th string just skips to the 12th fret. It's only on that string, and I'm confused.

Thanks for anyone who helps out
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Epiphone Futura Prophecy Custom
Martin 1970's D-28
do you mean it's sharp when you test it with a tuner?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think that means you need to file your 12th fret down a little, as it's raised a little too high.
I'm no expert though so I may be wrong
It's called dead note... It's caused because of the next fret being just a little bit too high, (whoomit is right) so when you press the 11th fret It's the same as you'd press the 12th...
My cousin told me once about these as he is a guitarist( I'm bassist) . He had the same thing with his guitar, but you can play well with it, it's not a big issue.. Of course it depens from you... :P
You have one of 2 problems, either a proud 12th fret or a low 11th fret.

If its the 12th it will need leveling and dressing and if its the 11th either a full fret level, dress and setup or a new 11th fret will be in order.

Essentially you need to get your frets looked at by a luthier as this is not the kind of job that should be attempted by the uninitiated unless the guitar is a beater and worth less than my shirt.

If its new send it straight back.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by halikus
You have one of 2 problems, either a proud 12th fret or a low 11th fret.

If its the 12th it will need leveling and dressing and if its the 11th either a full fret level, dress and setup or a new 11th fret will be in order.

Essentially you need to get your frets looked at by a luthier as this is not the kind of job that should be attempted by the uninitiated unless the guitar is a beater and worth less than my shirt.

If its new send it straight back.

Excellent advice...... also check to see if the twelth fret has lifted, which would mean it needs reseating and not filing down.
Moving on.....