Hey,

I'll spend time reading all the info about recording guitar into computer in the sticky threads and stuff, but just to get some quick and direct answers for my specific need:

I'm planning to buy whichever best and updated version of Cubase as sound editing program, Peavey Revalver MK III as VST amp sim, EZDrummer or something for drum sounds, and a big pair of headphones to jam with electric guitar in my future college dorm through my laptop (HP Pavilion DV4, Windows 7) to headphones AND do quality recording work for my compositions.

- I am looking for a preferably simple and affordable adapter to directly connect my guitar into my laptop (through USB) and use headphones to listen to the output with the LEAST delay and other unwanted noises. Is there one that comes with Revalver?

- I need tips on software and hardware compatibility stuff that I NEED to adjust so that all the programs and devices will work together with each other before I start recording.

Please give me suggestions and education on these crucial points. I do music, and not much tech. Thank you for any help at all!
Quote by rgt42dx

- I am looking for a preferably simple and affordable adapter to directly connect my guitar into my laptop (through USB) and use headphones to listen to the output with the LEAST delay and other unwanted noises. Is there one that comes with Revalver?

- I need tips on software and hardware compatibility stuff that I NEED to adjust so that all the programs and devices will work together with each other before I start recording.

Go to your local guitar shop, and speak with the people there. I can guarantee you that they will have an audio interface that meet's those requirements. Exactly which audio interface you should buy totally depends on what you feel you need and how much you're willing to pay.

I believe all those things you mentioned should work together. You need the audio interface to plug your instrument into, and a sequencer (Cubase). The plug-ins (EZ-Drummer) should be working through Cubase as well.

It really is that simple, and you wont need to pay much for the audio interface, unless you're planning on doing some real pro recordings. Recording only your guitar requires little. People start to use a lot of equipment when they begin to record more instruments. (Keyboards, samplers, vocals, drums, etc)

If you want to record a keyboard, all you would need is a midi cable that you can stick into you audio interface. If you want to record vocals you'll need a decent mic and preamp (though some audio-interfaces has these preamps)
Last edited by MrVaffel at Dec 22, 2009,
Thank you very much! Will do that when I go change strings and pickups. I like the concept of the common Behringer one, simple plug in and play and cheap, but I read some bad reviews about that thing.